Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Chevy Fleetline

drock

I really enjoy looking at all of the great models on this forum. It's always inspiring! This is what I'm working on now. It's the 1st time I tried the "salt" method. So far, I'm pretty stoked about how it's gonna look when it's done. I'm always open to suggestions on how to make this thing really "pop". Thanks!

post-9405-0-35742000-1412646591_thumb.jp

post-9405-0-59378800-1412646592_thumb.jp

post-9405-0-88774600-1412646593_thumb.jp

Thanks guys for the comps! Yes, you are right about the chrome being too "new". I'm working on that with the bumpers & grille...

Not sure how to "dull" the trim. I would have to take it apart and dullcote the body. I don't wanna do that. Is there a dullcote you can brush on?

She "pops" pretty good as is.

A lot of the "chrome" on these cars was actually stainless, and many barn-finds have excellent trim once the bat and bird droppings, and 40 years worth of dust, are hosed off.

You'll usually get peeling chrome plating and rust spots on bumpers, and dull and pitting chrome on cast-potmetal parts like door handles and hood ornaments.

She "pops" pretty good as is.

A lot of the "chrome" on these cars was actually stainless, and many barn-finds have excellent trim once the bat and bird droppings, and 40 years worth of dust, are hosed off.

You'll usually get peeling chrome plating and rust spots on bumpers, and dull and pitting chrome on cast-potmetal parts like door handles and hood ornaments.

You're absolutely right. I had a 1:1 '52 coupe and I do know that "Korean War" chrome plating was horrible. The stainless chrome cleaned up very nice. Wish i still had the car...