Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick

Sixx

My very first car was a '75 Maverick, four door, 302 with an automatic....rusty and ugly!!! Funny story regarding that car...my old man was driving it one day when the muffler fell off, thought it was a good time to throw on some duals....so i bought a couple of Thrush mufflers, went over to my buddies shop and put it up on the ramps. Removed the rest of the exhaust with a grinder just before the two lower manifold pipes joined at the "Y", bolted on the mufflers and I was done!!! These things were basically under your feet...obnoxiously LOUD....made more than one neighbour very happy!!! LOL!! I was leaving Calgary with my girlfriend and had to go through a construction site...drove over a huge speed bump, scraping the mufflers, and thought everything was okay. As I hit the highway towards Cochrane, I hear the one muffler suddenly loosen and scrape along the pavement...hit my signal light and started to brake...the muffler drops and bounces under my car coming out behind me, hits the bumper of a mini van right on my back bumper and sails off into the oncoming lane!!! So my newer muffler nails a passing Corvette (84-85ish?)...striking it in the left front fender...punching a hole through the fiberglass!!! :blink: The lady driver pulls her car over and exits the vehicle...meanwhile, I am SOOOO mad.....thinking "Why could it not have hit one of the hundreds of farm trucks running around instead???!!!!". I go into the middle of the highway, reach down and grab my muffler.....which IS extremely hot....swear like a trucker/sailor and throw it at my car in anger/pain!!! I then give my car a couple of good sift kicks in the quarter panel....the lady walks up to me as I stare at the ground....and asks...."Are you okay???" Surprisingly....she was pretty cool about the whole situation, says not to worry...insurance will pay for it!!! Never did hear anything else about it....but did learn one thing.....Never, ever bolt a set of mufflers so they hand down that low and be such a pain in the you know what!!! But hey.....I was 16......so live and learn!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

That's a really sharp looking build, and the tire/wheel combo is perfect, Derrick! It's a little ironic that I just recently began work on a Maverick build. It will be a replica of my '74 pro street Maverick I had back in the early 80s. Is there any place to get a flat hood for one of these? I began with the Jo-Han pro stock kit, which of course has the huge scoop. I will rework that, if necessary, but I'd just as soon start with something flat. Very nice job! :)

That's a really sharp looking build, and the tire/wheel combo is perfect, Derrick! It's a little ironic that I just recently began work on a Maverick build. It will be a replica of my '74 pro street Maverick I had back in the early 80s. Is there any place to get a flat hood for one of these? I began with the Jo-Han pro stock kit, which of course has the huge scoop. I will rework that, if necessary, but I'd just as soon start with something flat. Very nice job! :)

hey Scott, not totally flat, but close......

http://www.banditresins.com/maverick_hood.html