Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Fairlane 500 Semi-Custom! Finished at Last!

John Goschke

This model is turning out so nice. Hard to believe it would look this good after seeing what you started with. I just noticed the rounded corners in the leading edge of the hood, that is a custom touch that you just don't see anymore. I think it looks perfect with the theme of your build.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think that bright greens & purples have been extremely over done in recent years, but I like this one.

It looks to be a little more on the blue side, which is refreshing.

If I see another bright, "day glow" green on a classic car, I seriously think I'm going to puke!!!

There were so many classy, interesting, rich, purples & greens back in the '50s & '60s, that, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would use those gaudy modern colors on a beautiful car.

There's no faster way to completely destroy a work of art than wrapping it in layers of putrid paint!

Sorry, I had to vent a little. :rolleyes:

I like your color choice John! ;)

Steve

On 2/11/2018 at 8:17 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Personally, I think that bright greens & purples have been extremely over done in recent years, but I like this one.

It looks to be a little more on the blue side, which is refreshing.

If I see another bright, "day glow" green on a classic car, I seriously think I'm going to puke!!!

There were so many classy, interesting, rich, purples & greens back in the '50s & '60s, that, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would use those gaudy modern colors on a beautiful car.

There's no faster way to completely destroy a work of art than wrapping it in layers of putrid paint!

Sorry, I had to vent a little. :rolleyes:

I like your color choice John! ;)

Steve

Thanks, Steve!  I hear you on the neon greens and bright purples. Not here. My mix here is a bit more blue than what I was originally considering, and will change a bit with clear on it.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:43 AM, milo1303s said:

Bitchin color can"t wait to see it foiled !! Been watching this for a while now

Thanks, Bob!  I've still got another paint step, plus clear before foil, so it'll be a while. But I'm anxious to see it done, too!

Painting process mostly finished with clear coats but no polishing yet. All preceded by the usual 12 hours of masking! Highlighting the grooves in the roof in the light purple I was using for the outlines and scallops on the body against pearl white turned out to be an ugly idea so I ultimately decided to go with the same lighter purple for the entire roof.

2v2JKFihWxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JKFiCGxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JKFinCxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JKFiqLxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JKFiFgxE7U1V.jpg

On 3/1/2018 at 2:31 PM, Limeyglue said:

really like the paint your'e masking went really well!

Thanks, Lee!  The masking went well until I ran out of the black tape and had to order more online then wait five days for delivery. Sure looked like there was enough on the roll!

On 3/1/2018 at 2:31 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Man, that's really going to pop once you polish it. You're in the home stretch, can't wait to see it done.

Thanks, Craig!  I can't wait either! Wish I could click my heels and say "There's no model like a done one!," and poof, it'd be finished and ready for photos!