Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Fairlane 500 Semi-Custom! Finished at Last!

John Goschke

I'm more of a '57 person myself having owned two , one of witch I had three times. Never thought much of the '58 tail lights and that is why I liked what you did on this. I used to a lesser degree some of what you were showing on the moldings on a personal project last year. I had a new '67 El Camino that I drove until I bought a '74 C-10. I grafted the front end off the Revell '67 Chevelle to the '66 El Camino and created the correct tail lights. I used Plastruct to make the body moldings on the body sides. The results was a very accurate looking model of my El Camino.

There you go! Sounds great - love that kind of plastic surgery! 

I had two real '58 Fairlane 500s and my parents had a '58 Del Rio when I was kid. Both my Fairlanes had FE engines, a 4dsdn with 352 4v and Cruiseomatic, and a 2dht with 332 4v and Fordomatic and were kinda thirsty. Never owned a Y-block car.

Great work.

I've got a vert near the top of my to do list.

Although mine will be replica stock. I like the tips / corrections to the body.

Thanks, Bill!  I've got a convertible project, too, parked on the back lot at the moment, stalled 'cause the fit of the Modelhaus up-top is a problem. 58CustomGrill_5-vi.jpg58FordNuChrome5-vi.jpg

FTFY. :D

Yeah, Chris, AMT's '65 Bonneville is THE poster child for kit asymmetry with that nutty driver's side window opening!  "A"MT = "Asymettrical" Model Toys?

I commend your fortitude in building to your own standards rather than rushing it out the door in order to move on to the next project.

(just one of the reasons my builds are moving so slowly...)

...and one of the reasons my wife will have to "finish" more than a few of my projects when I depart for the big hobby shop in the sky!

I am enjoying this one.

Thanks, Ron!

Another reason I'm following this one - it was my dad's favorite car of all he ever owned. He swears to this day NOTHING rode and drove so fine as his 4-door yellow and white '58!

Thanks, Rusty!  I loved my '58 Fords, but my '63 Buicks were better road cars!

I'm definitely digging this !!!

Thanks, Marty!

Edited by John Goschke

The convertible looks like a great project as well John. I have several started mocked-up projects in my shop too!

Thanks, JC!  I hope to get back to the Sunliner at some point. It's actually a bit farther along than you see it here, and I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to make the top look better.

Always nice to look and read WIP`s like this!
I learn a lot  
:)

Thanks, Bo!  Always happy to help folks learn something about building models – even it's by showing what NOT to do!

Well, got a cowl vent in, fixing that little detail that AMT missed. It's a bit of a compromise, since it's from the new-tool Edsel Pacer, and so isn't entirely correct, with four slots in each front-to-back row where the real cars had five. I chose it over the more-correct AMT '57 Ford piece because the wipers are separate. I drilled a series of holes in the Ford's cowl and carefully carved it out while preserving the original windshield molding in place. Then the vent was roughly sawed from the Edsel body and trimmed to fit in place.CowlVentWndows_1-vi.jpg

Before & After
CowlVentWndows_7-vi.jpg

And on the left an early attempt from around 1980 to scribe the vent in...
CowlVentWndows_8-vi.jpg

Also replaced the vintage AMT glass with PVC sheet.
CowlVentWndows_9-vi.jpg

To do this I created patterns by covering the outside of the kit glass with Tamiya tape, then installing the parts and tracing the outline of the window openings onto the tape with a fine black marker. Then the glass was removed from the car and the tape was carefully peeled off, after which the tape was applied to a piece of file folder stock and the pattern cut out with a #11, being careful to cut about 3/32" outside the marker outline – this makes the pattern slightly oversize which will allow the new "glass" to overlap inside the window opening. CowlVentWndows_10-vi.jpg

I then installed the patterns in place of the glass and traced their outline inside the body with the fine marker. After removing the patterns I cemented styrene strips inside the body to hold the new glass in place. With the strips cemented in the fit was tested using the patterns. The patterns simply pop in place without cement. Then the new glass was cut out of .2mm clear PVC sheet from the art supply store and snapped in for test fit. A HUGE improvement over the kit glass! CowlVentWndows_2-vi.jpg
CowlVentWndows_3-vi.jpg
CowlVentWndows_5-vi.jpg
CowlVentWndows_6-vi.jpg

Thanks, Geno!  Gotta say these last few operations have felt kind of risky but it feels good to push things a little further on this one.

It looks like risk taking that was well worth it. I had to use clear acetate for the rear window in my Chevelle as the kit one was cracked, I do agree it looks more to scale and realistic. I love '58 Fords and I'm really digging what you're doing with this one. it all looks so right. B)

John, I'm a HUGE fan of using clear stencil sheet for glass where it can be used! As you probably know, bad/distorted glass is a major pet peeve of mine in model kits, next to bad/misshapen body contours. '50's cars like this SCREAM out for good glass, and it's one of the things that nearly sidelined my '59 Chevy forever because the glass was so bad. 

Vacuforming mine was the next best thing--------yours looks absolutely great! A real plus as you mentioned is the '58 Fords had glass that pretty much curved one way. The rear glass might have had a very slight subtle curve from a side view, but in this scale and size of car, it's barely noticeable. 

Keep it going! B)

John, I'm a HUGE fan of using clear stencil sheet for glass where it can be used! As you probably know, bad/distorted glass is a major pet peeve of mine in model kits, next to bad/misshapen body contours. '50's cars like this SCREAM out for good glass, and it's one of the things that nearly sidelined my '59 Chevy forever because the glass was so bad. 

Vacuforming mine was the next best thing--------yours looks absolutely great! A real plus as you mentioned is the '58 Fords had glass that pretty much curved one way. The rear glass might have had a very slight subtle curve from a side view, but in this scale and size of car, it's barely noticeable. 

Keep it going! B)

Thanks, Bill!  After doing this I really wish I'd used this technique on the '58 Impala I recently completed. The "glass' on that one is ridiculous. Fortunately that's another where the wrap-around windshield doesn't have a compound curve.  You're right, vacuforming is the only answer though for a bunch of other cars from the period – yeah, I'm lookin' at you '59 Imperial!