Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Fairlane 500 Semi-Custom! Finished at Last!

John Goschke

Awhile back I picked up this restorable AMT '58 Ford that was mercifully free of the dreaded "skirt rash" but, as it turned out, does have some nasty, but repairable, scratches from overzealous decal removal by a previous owner. Not quite knowing what to do with it, I kept it by the chair where I watch TV so I could do some moldline cleanup and reshaping of the windshield and rear window moldings during the commercials.

While scraping on the body a few nights ago I remembered an idea that I had to see through to some conclusion. Sometime ago I had picked up a replated '57 Chrysler promo front bumper just to see what it would look like on another '58 Ford, but wound up going a different direction on that one. Now I had another deserving guinea pig! So, out came the razor saw and the other surgical implements along with cement and ABS plastic and here you have the result!

I kinda like it. The '57 Desoto bumper was done on a number of '57 and '58 Fords back in the day, but I don't recall seeing this combo, seems like a natural, though. Has some flavor of the original Ford design, but is a bit cleaner and perhaps lighter. Ultimately I think it needs to be tucked back a bit more and some work at the transition into the wheel opening.

As usual with the '58 Ford kit, I swapped in the much better AMT '59 Ford chassis, along with 1960 AMT wheels and Lancer caps and '61-vintage tires.

58FairlaneHT_9-vi.jpg

58FairlaneHT_2-vi.jpg

58FairlaneHT_6-vi.jpg

58FairlaneHT_8-vi.jpg

58FairlaneHT_7-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Man, I love what you did! The lines and all does go together. I was looking at the wheel wells shot, the openings flows very nice on both sides front and back! About the front area behind the bumper in the wheel well area.. I notice there is a slip triangle area of space. If you think about it, maybe add a piece of plastic there and shape it to flow with the wheel opening from fender to bumper area. You like the other member mention would have a "I can't put my finger on it" car. Very very great job so far.

That's pretty cool John! The only thing that bugs be is the transition of the fender well opening to the bumper. I think it needs some material added to the ends of the bumper to make the transition flow a little better. Or if possible, scoot the bumper back a couple or three mms? The front looks spot on! I have no doubt that you'll nail it whatever you do.

Any updates John?

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Nothing at the moment, José. Been trying to concentrate on finishing up the little details, then paint, on the '59 Sunliner. If I can get enough time at the bench I want to refine the fit of the front bumper on this '58 and work on a pretty firm idea for the taillights.

Got too many projects started!

• 1 month later...

Since this weekend's update to this thread got lost in ozone... here it is again. Sorry if this seems like deja vu...

While shopping this fall I was on the lookout for a source for largish pieces of transparent red plastic for taillights for the '58 Ford. Browsing through the dollar store with my wife looking for Halloween stuff we came upon a shelf of these multicolored piggy banks, including this guy in red. Wow! Enough taillight stock to last a lifetime for a dollar!

Got it home and cut out pieces the same size on each side of the bank so the curvature would be the same and shaped them to fit the taillight housings. Also cut sections from a piece in a vintage Aurora Grill & Trim parts pack to use as "reflectors" that had horizontal bars in spacing similar to the '57 Chrysler grill I had fitted to the Ford. To tunnel the new lights deeply into the light housings I opened up the back of the openings so the lights could be inserted from inside the body.

58VicTail10-vi.jpg

58VicTail8-vi.jpg

I also cut in the license plate housing AMT forgot in the lower middle of the rear panel above the center of the rear bumper. For these shots I used a rear bumper I modified by raising about a scale inch to more correct height and had replated for another '58 Ford kit. The bumper for this model has been modified in similar fashion. Additionally the bumper bolts have been smoothed off for a cleaner look and the bumper has been polished for replating.

58VicTail1-vi.jpg

58VicTail2-vi.jpg

58VicTail5-vi.jpg

I reinstalled the front bumper and grill slightly further back (2 to 3 scale inches) to lose the jutting-lower-jaw look.

58VicTail4-vi.jpg
58VicTail6-vi.jpg

58VicTail7-vi.jpg

I really like the tail lights, that's the one thing that I never liked about the 1:1 '58 Fords. Some guys used to use Pontiac tail lights or something on that order. These are much better. The grill and bumper looks almost like it should hang down a little lower, maybe a very small solid spacer between the body and the grill to drop it down maybe a couple scale inches? Look forward to see what all you do, I know it will be good.

I haden't seen this before. The tail lights and rear look mild, but really good. I have trouble with the front . .not sure what it is but it looks like buck teeth. Maybe it's the drop in the bumper at the center doing it. The grill fits really well .. wraps around nicely following the Ford body. I'll be watching this evolve .. bery enjoyable thread.

I looked back again at the front when paging back ... this may grow on me, expecially when other pieces are added like the headlights.

Edited by Foxer