Model Cars Magazine Forum

Searching uptop for 60s GM.

Only one possible problem, however: Virtually every JoHan Cadillac promo or model kit 1959-into the 70's was tooled undersized, both foreshortened in the front clip and trunk areas, and many of them were as much as an actual 1/8" (3-inches in 1/25 scale) too narrow as well. That may complicate your results a bit.

Art

Thanks for the feedback. I got really unsure now,because i need two of them,but if they dont fit at all maby it`s

not worth the shipping. I do have a uptop from a 58 Cadillac Imai kit,it`s just mm to wide and the corners need

some adjustments. But then again,the design of the whole thing is not quite there.

Tommy, you can always size down the top if it's a bit too big......better than trying to "stretch" it if it's too small being resin. You can also check with Don or Carol------------they may be able to fill you in on whether it may or may not fit without some major surgery.

Edit: The '58 uptop would be all wrong for the '64. Sail panel shape isn't quite right and the windshield header has quite a "crown" to it.

Edited by MrObsessive

Modelhaus sells an uptop for the '62 Buick Electra 225. You can click here to check it out. This should be pretty close for what you need as the 225's were C-Bodies as is that '64 Caddy convertible you have.

If you get the '62 Buick Up-Top from the Modelhaus. You should also get the '63 Buick Windshield Header, and '64 Buick Vacuumformed Glass from the Modelhaus and adapt them to your Cadillac, as the windshield header on the JoHan '64 Cadillac Convertible (as well as the '63 Cadillac and '63 Olds Starfire Convertible) are completely wrong for the convertible. Johan simply used the same header panel from the Hardtop kits.

I think the windshield header is wrong even for the Johan '64 Caddy hardtop.

Yes, JoHan (as well as the other two major companies tended to do convertibles by simply making a new tooling insert that eliminated the top behind the windshield, which was pretty much OK on GM convertibles through 1964-ish when hardtops were almost always convertible bodies with a steel top welded into place. However, starting about 1965 or so, GM's hardtops began to veer away from that earlier concept with the advent of fastback hardtop styling.

Art