Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/25 3 Axle Gravel Trailer

k100

I personally like it. I've built quite a few over the years starting with the original MPC way back in the early 70's. The one I'm building now has the most work I've ever put into the kit. I wanted to correct a few flaws and add my own touch to it.

I, for one, am stoked that this one is coming back. All the ingredients are there to make a Michigan gravel train. I already have one tractor nearly finished to pair up to such a setup, and a couple more planned.

The gravel train set up can be quite impressive with the right tractor. The picture you have of the DR Giant set back front axle is a good example.

This is one of the few trailers that I'm actually looking forward to coming out. I need one to go behind a W900B. Can't decide if I want to do it as a frameless or not. I'll have to check my references for Clark Concrete.

Do you guys think a Fruehauf Dump Trailer thread with reference pictures, in the proper forum board, would be a good thing? I know I have pictures and links that would be of some help. Raise your hand if you say yes.... <raises hand>

Yes! I would love to see more pictures. I also am thinking of a Michigan gravel train. I live about a quarter of a mile down the road from a major gravel pit. We used to have a hundred or more loads a day going right by the house. Probably about a third of them were trains. I wish I had taken pictures of them back in the early '90s. Now they are all aero nosed trucks with smooth trailers. Back then, they were mostly Autocars, Kenworths and Macks pulling ribbed trailers. I know where some of these are parked, so I might be able to talk my way in to get some snapshots.

I have a pair of the old issues, but I will probably grab another one just because I can still fit another model in the house... somewhere...

Just about any of them will work. I built a Diamond Reo for my first dump trailer.

20150124_145523_zpseizdz6en_edit_1422140

Now mind you I did a lot changes to that DR. V8 Detroit, rims and tires from the Freightliner COE, Revell Pete stacks and bumper. The hydraulic tanks is from an AMT Pete that I modified. Moebius mudflaps. As you can see I cut an axle off the trailer, not pictured is the tarp system I made for it.

Anthony Oteri has done a few great lookin set ups using this trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that the instructions have a section showing how to cut the body, attach some alternate parts and fit it to a truck chassis/cab for a standard "straight job" dump truck. However, at the top it says that this section is for "nostalgia purposes only".

Does anyone have any idea why they say that? It seems to me that all the parts are in the box to do this.

I was thinking that it might make a cool dump truck on the MPC Mack DM 600.

Edited by dmk