Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC Carl Casper's Cosmic Charger Fuel Dragster

dragnut

I 40 percented mine at HL as well. $29.99? (gasp). It's getting to be the only way I can buy new kits anymore, that and HL's occasional deep discount piles. 

Test fitting was promising. The front wheels may be the best I've seen in this scale. If you opt for the front wheel spats you don't use them, though. The decals are impressive. They include a nice brochure style trifold that has good close ups of the real car and the explanation about the original's inaccuracies and there is a hefty typo in the show placard. I'm pretty geeked over this one, missed it on the first run, but 30 bucks? And, of course, since I shouldn't have spent the twenty on the CCS, Revell's '29 finally showed as well. Ah, they'll be around. The beautiful decals won't provide everything needed for an exact dupe of the orig  paint, you will need to mask the rear portion for a red/blue split  through the fenders. The instructions call for the body to be shot  just in red but the spats and canopy should be blue.

Edited by samdiego
new info

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that went about as well as could be expected. The decals are a bit on the brittle side and stuck really hard to the One-Coat I used on the body. There was no sliding, I had to lift and pull each panel into place even with a drenching of Micro Set. I've planted large decals over this paint before, the GeeTO Tiger comes to mind, and I don't recall the sticking part. It was different than the Martini Porsche decalling. Those marks turned to ink pudding under the Micro-Scale products, wrinkled horribly and then settled perfectly in place over the compound curves of the rear fenders. I think they were Cartograph. Probably my favorite decalling experience. The Cosmic Charger's took a little rubbing, massaging and prodding to conform, but reacted to the solvents just enough to work. I'll give my app an 8 out of ten this time. I did rub off a small spot of print on the nose. I shot a couple coats of standard style Testors clear from the can over it all. There was a difference in color and size between the green graphics for the side where they are supposed to butt together. And you can glue the tail section together and still get the chassis in, sliding the slicks onto the rims halfway through the process.

And now I'll admit to totally cheating on this one, I actually did it curbside after deciding to keep the Imperial Hemi for something that would show it off better, probably another old rail. Pretty happy with the end result. It was great to see it back on the shelves. Must have been the longest 1/24 FE rail model ever.

Thanks, Guys. I shot this with Testors One Coat, spraying both red and orange at the same time. I should have made one more pass with the orange. The wheel covers, scoop and hatch were done with reg Testors True Blue Pearl. reg Testors clear went over everything. Considering its age, this is a really nice kit. Panel fit was pretty good, flash was minimal and the wheels and tires are well done. One exception was the blower drive. I've never seen the rubber band approach work very well. Mine snapped after a few days, but not before causing the input shaft to droop. It isn't really a rubber band but molded in the same vinyl as the tires. I decided to use it in the AMT double dragster streamliner. I've built several of the other versions but never the full bodied car, so . . .

Edited by samdiego

I had partial cans of both Red and Orange One-Coat. I would make a pass with the red and immediately make a second pass with the orange until I had what looked close. One Coat seems to be pretty tolerant of being applied wet on wet. I used the "scoopless decal under the unglued scoop so i could still drop a motor in, if I get the urge. I like this car a lot but everything looks better with a blower poking out of it. The blue and white decal halfway up the nose was the least objectionable camo for where I rubbed through the ink getting it into place.

Russ, I agree with your Ranchero lament. I drove a '67 for about 10 years. 

DSCF3989.JPG

Edited by samdiego

• 1 year later...

DSCF3995.JPG

WOW, Very nice.

I was in my local HL yesterday to pick up some paint.  And  they had this kit on the mark down isles. And for 17.99 I couldn't leave it there.  Ive always thought this was a beautiful looking car then and now.  Ive never been much of a FED model builder but this one will be in my case for sure .

And I have it on the bench right now and would really appreciate any build tips anyone can provide .

Im planning to  build it as the scooped version with the front wheel fairings .  I think it looks cleaner . Haven't decided yet if I'll actually put the engine in it or not. Have to pick up some blue in the next day or so . The orange/red I am going to use is a Mopar touchup color called Candy Tangerine I bought for a different build but decided to go with a different color on it