Model Cars Magazine Forum

70.5 Baldwin Motion Camaro Finally Finished!

microwheel

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately I haven't had time to finish her up do to work. The wheels are the old toque thrust by detail masters, and are sadly no longer available. The stance isn't finished, because the suspension isn't done. I screwed up your quote sorry. Again your creativeness is admired on those brake calipers, and interior, well just awesome!

Incredible. Absolutely stunning. That is absolutely amazing work Jim. I can only hope to model like this one day.

Thanks Justin, It's not a matter of hoping you can model like this, I'm sure you can, it's the time and money involved in detailing to this level that takes commitment.

Very clean work!

Jim, are the wheels done in Alclad also?

Michael

No Michael, the wheels were left regular kit chrome. As will be the bumpers. The reason for using Alclad on the exhaust was due to to many areas of them having seems and ejector pin marks in visible areas.

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately I haven't had time to finish her up do to work. The wheels are the old toque thrust by detail masters, and are sadly no longer available. The stance isn't finished, because the suspension isn't done. I screwed up your quote sorry. Again your creativeness is admired on those brake calipers, and interior, well just awesome!

Hi Joe, well when you do get time to work on it, I'm sure it will turn out great. I do my interiors mostly in flat colors and then anywhere that a vinyl look is needed I go over that area with a testors semi-gloss clear coat lacquer, and if I use Tamiya flat colors, I sometimes even go over that with testors clear gloss coat. But only the seats usually, the side panels of my interiors are always left in a flat color.

Edited by microwheel

Those Tamiya pants are great! I've only recently started using them and they smell good to.

I've used them since the late 1980's especially the acrylics which I always mix 50/50 with denatured alcohol which you can get at any hardware store. It mixes good with it. But when I use the Tamiya flats for my interiors, I usually use their spray can versions which are lacquer based.

for a second there I wondered what "Tamiya pants" were and why they smelled. ;)

I think it was just a type O and he meant to say paint lol

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days. My wife's sister was up visiting from Detroit.

Here is a little something to tied you over till I get a few more things done.

I worked on the front grill since I only had a little time this weekend. My plan was to use the photo-etched grill inserts that come with the Model Car Garage 70 Camaro detail set.

I started out by drilling a hole in the grill mesh on each side and then scribing the edges with my exacto knife. Then working from the hole out to the scribed edges, I cut the mesh areas of the grill out.

DSCF4079-vi.jpg

Next was to de-chrome and clean up the kit grill and then remove the photo-etched grill inserts from the detail set and trim them to fit the grill openings with a pair of hobby parts trimmers.

DSCF4081-vi.jpg

Next the grill inserts were cemented into the kit grill with medium grade CA glue.

DSCF4083-vi.jpg

Once the glue had set up good for a couple of hours, the whole thing was primed with a couple of coats of Tamiya white fine spray primer.

DSCF4090-vi.jpg

Once the primer had dried, 3 coats of model masters gloss black enamel was applied. and then set aside to dry for a day.

DSCF4093-vi.jpg

Once the Black had been given a good 24 hour drying period, the grill assembly was re-chromed with Alclad II chrome paint and set aside to dry for a few days.

DSCF4104-vi.jpg

That's where we are for now. Stay tuned for more.....

That gille is awesome Jim, I wish my alclad turn out that way.

Hi Joe Thanks, your grill looks good as well. I went with Alclad because whenever I use MCG detail kit grill inserts on kits and I go to cut out the kit grill meshes for them, I always tend to scratch up the grill chrome areas I dont want to loose, so the easiest fix around that for me, is to just de-chrome them and then re-chrome them with Alclad when I have them ready. It took me a while to learn how to use the stuff and there are times I still mess up the process and have to give it more than one try before I get the result I want.

Here is a reference pic of the front of a 70 Baldwin Motion Camaro for you guys working on, or thinking about working on one of these kits. Notice the 454 emblem on the grill is white, not red or black, also notice the very center upright of the grill between the meshes. That part, on all the reference pics I have or have seen of the Baldwin Motion Camaro, is usually black, and with some, very rare cases, body color. I have seen a few clones where they have done the grill meshes in black, but that was not the case on the true 70 1/2 Baldwin Motion Camaros, most had chrome or brushed aluminum grill meshes. I can't say that they didn't blacken the grill meshes on the 71 and newer BM Camaros, most of my research has been dedicated to the 70 1/2.

front1-vi.jpg

And here is my grill with the 454 script attached and the center between the meshes painted black.

DSCF4137-vi.jpg

DSCF4140-vi.jpg

I'll try to get a few more updates posted later on today if I have time.

Edited by microwheel

Jim, this is a pretty spectacular build that you have going on here. Actually, it's more of a work of art than a model given the detailing that you are doing. I have been silently following this thread as I am working on what will be a 1980 Berlinetta using an old build up 1/25 MPC non T-roof car as the starting point. It has lots of issues and I am kind of stalled at this point as I am uncertain as to just how far to go. There's just a lot that is wrong with the car but I will build it - I just am not sure as said, where to call it a day and leave well enough alone.

Mine wont be anywhere near the quality of your 70, but I'm following what you are doing and not just getting ideas, but learning as well.It was graciously given to me by a forum member several years ago but has stalled out a few times when I got discouraged or life got in the way. I'm using the Baldwin Motion chassis and platform because of the far superior detail compared to the almost toy like running gear of the MPC kit. I hope that you don't mind me using as many of your techniques as I can to make this little car that will be a gift to my son as nice as possible. I do not have the tools or materials ( brake cables, fuel lines, etc ) to do some of what you have done, but if my efforts yield results that are even half as good as your model, I'll be a really happy guy. A very nice, professional build.. you should be proud of your creation.

Jim, this is a pretty spectacular build that you have going on here. Actually, it's more of a work of art than a model given the detailing that you are doing. I have been silently following this thread as I am working on what will be a 1980 Berlinetta using an old build up 1/25 MPC non T-roof car as the starting point. It has lots of issues and I am kind of stalled at this point as I am uncertain as to just how far to go. There's just a lot that is wrong with the car but I will build it - I just am not sure as said, where to call it a day and leave well enough alone.

Mine wont be anywhere near the quality of your 70, but I'm following what you are doing and not just getting ideas, but learning as well.It was graciously given to me by a forum member several years ago but has stalled out a few times when I got discouraged or life got in the way. I'm using the Baldwin Motion chassis and platform because of the far superior detail compared to the almost toy like running gear of the MPC kit. I hope that you don't mind me using as many of your techniques as I can to make this little car that will be a gift to my son as nice as possible. I do not have the tools or materials ( brake cables, fuel lines, etc ) to do some of what you have done, but if my efforts yield results that are even half as good as your model, I'll be a really happy guy. A very nice, professional build.. you should be proud of your creation.

Thank you for the kind words Gary. I am a little familiar with the kit you are working on, so I know the struggles you must be dealing with. But Im sure you will do a fine job of it. The important thing to remember when it comes to your build, and it's what some old modelers back in my early years of modeling told to me when I got stuck or frustrated with a stubborn build. "You can find things wrong every step of the way with any kit you get your hands on, so don't worry about the things you cant fix, and work to take care of the ones you can. It's a model after all, and this is a hobby after all. Have fun with it, and if it quits being fun, then your probably trying to do too much. Do only what you can, and don't try to do too much. The build will speak to you in it's own way and tell you when you've done enough with it".

I am honored that my ideas can be of help to you on your build. The things I do when modeling, come from many years of advice and assistance from the many modelers I have crossed paths with. And even some pro 1:1 car builders I've had the privilege to meet and interact with. Feel free, to use any of my ideas and tips you feel are helpful. And dont be afraid to ask any of the outstanding modelers on here for ideas and help that you may need. That's how we all learn and improve over time. Just remember, there will come a day where it will be someone asking for your advice and help, and when they do, share all you can with them.

Here's my update for this evening guys.

I got the glass and firewall installed in the body this afternoon. To hold the glass in place, I taped the glass into position and then carefully applied some 5 minute epoxy around the edges of the glass with a q-tip.

Once the epoxy set up for awhile I then mounted the firewall into place and cemented it to the inner body fenders.

Next I mated the interior and main chassis to the body and applied a small amount of 5 minute epoxy to the seam where the main chassis and interior met the firewall, then once the epoxy had set up I touched it up with Tamiya semi-gloss black acrylic paint to blend the firewall into the chassis.

Next was to install the rear taillights into the rear tail panel. The taillights were detailed with model masters metalizer aluminum plate paint. Then the SS and 454 photo etched script from the model car garage detail set was added to the rear light panel and tacked into place with testors lacquer gloss clear, applied with a toothpick, to the location on the rear panel where they need to be placed. Then the rear taillight assembly panel was epoxied into place on the back of the body with 5 minute epoxy.

Next I removed the outer rims from the rear wheels and then placed the rear wheels on the rear axle. I applied a little bit of liquid model cement to the locking pins where they slide onto the axles. Doing this through the tire after the pins had been slid onto the axle assures the wheels will rotate and not wobble. Later the outer rims will be pushed back onto the tires.

Excuse the dust in some of the pics, I usually clean things off and on as I build.

DSCF4130-vi.jpg

Some of you may wonder at this point why I didn't assemble the front sub-frame and engine assembly to the main chassis. I found that it the front end will go into the model much easier and align up better by installing it later. Besides I still have a few odds and ends detail things to do to it before installing it into the car.

DSCF4167-vi.jpg

DSCF4168-vi.jpg

Still have to add the license plate and photo etched frame to the back yet.

DSCF4183-vi.jpg

I kinda like how this paint color changes depending on the lighting. At times it almost looks silver metallic, and at other times almost a greenish metallic.

DSCF4190-vi.jpg

And finally from the underside with the rear wheels installed.

DSCF4186-vi.jpg

Anyways that's pretty much it for this evening. More as I progress.