Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Mustang

Back when I was selling my 73 Barracuda the first time, I had a young guy and his mother show up to look at it. As they walked around the car, mother was asking stupid questions like if I was offering a warranty on the car (it was 13 years old and was $2000). Junior got behind the wheel and floored it. He grabbed all the gravel where the street met the grass and showered me, his mother and my other cars with rocks and gravel. He fish tailed about 50 feet and came within inches of hitting my neighbor's retaining wall. I literally pulled him out of the car by the back of his shirt, him squirming and flailing his limbs as I placed him down on the sidewalk. He looked at me and said, "I gotta try it out man!" like I did something wrong. It took a lot not to hit him. I advised Mommy that we were done and to get Junior the heck off my property. I wouldn't have sold my car to that clown... and mother thought I'd give him a warranty?

And the world is full of them. Thought for the day.

I have a mint 46K mile 2006 GT that I absolutely love (my avatar)...If I didn't have a kid in college and another one going next year, I'd have my Mustang on Craigslist already, and in the spring I'd get a new 2015 GT.

I might even consider the ecoboost 4. I'd actually have to drive them both. My gut tells me I'd pick the GT.

Until that time, I'll be driving my 06 :)

Fun topic to read the opinions.

Harry, have fun with your new toy!

I had a 2012 stang and had a lot of fun driving it!

The bast way to determine what engine, acceleration, mileage is best for you is to actually drive it. It's amazing how different each set up feels different in the seat, behind the wheel. Specs on paper are just a starting point of reference.

Regarding gas mileage....those quoted numbers are also to be taken with a grain of salt....your mileage may be different....do you only drive around 55 on the highway, only use premium, never have any passengers, take out the spare, never punch it, keep nothing in the trunk, keep the AC off, keep the windows up, etc.

My stang gt averaged about 10 miles to the gallon and that was with a lot of highway driving....it was just too much fun to light it up like the 2001 Lightning I used to own.

I have a mint 46K mile 2006 GT that I absolutely love...

and that's the kind of car I hope to buy used from one of you guys when you upgrade to the 2015! I can't help myself, my strict German upbringing won't let me pull the trigger on a brand new one. I can hear my father's voice!

Agree with the seeing it in person deal. I had my doubts about the mustang until I saw it in person this past weekend. It really change my mind once I had it in front of me. I would get rid of my 2012 GT 6 speed, but it would be a big detour from my plans. Besides its race red and 412 hp is ok for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say much about the new Mustang.....last modern Stang I drove was a 14 V6......nice car BTW.

BUT....Dad has a FLEX with the V6 twin turbo Eco-boost engine and 22 inch wheels all wheel drive. WHAT A HOT ROD!

Dad's 80 and drives it pretty sane....but I drive it a good bit. When I took him to Ohio to see my brother I was getting on the Interstate....real short ramp....busy rush hour....I kicked in the turbo's and we left them all.......Dad said 'so THAT'S what the turbos are for!'. :lol:

Can't say much about the new Mustang.....last modern Stang I drove was a 14 V6......nice car BTW.

BUT....Dad has a FLEX with the V6 twin turbo Eco-boost engine and 22 inch wheels all wheel drive. WHAT A HOT ROD!

Dad's 80 and drives it pretty sane....but I drive it a good bit. When I took him to Ohio to see my brother I was getting on the Interstate....real short ramp....busy rush hour....I kicked in the turbo's and we left them all.......Dad said 'so THAT'S what the turbos are for!'. :lol:

Dave's right. The Flex with the AWD V6 EcoBoost is a total hot rod! TIM

• 1 month later...

Ford's getting some bad media lately about the EcoBoost engine's not being as efficient as advertised? that seems to me being a matter of "how you drive it", as anyone who's owned a turbo charged engine can tell you, that if you are aggressive driver, just as with any engine really, the fuel consumption goes up

That being said, if you can control yourself, and drive normally most of the time, then turbo charged engines can amaze you with the low fuel consumption possible, yet available power for when you want it

Two of the best cars I have ever owned, were not the V8 engine cars I've had, but rather were 4 cylinder turbo cars, a 1980 mustang (which got a t-bird turbo EFI engine swap), and SRT4, both capable of putting a smile on my face :)

Edited by Jeremy Jon

It's a Mustang... I don't care if your Mustang is an old non-turbo 2.3 four or a built-to-the-hilt Roush 427 small block, you're going to drive in a bit of a "spirited" manner. That just happens when you drive a Mustang. Naturally, it's never going to get as many MPG as Ford and/or the EPA says it is going to. :)

My son's 04 Cobra is quite quick and gets a respectable 22 MPG while being driven between 70 and 80 on the highway. I got to drive it for a while when he needed a place to park it and it found it's way to my house. B)

He's prone to excessive acceleration around town, it has 295/50/18 drag radials on the rear.