Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where's the *#+"! GAS Cap ?

Greg Myers

How we have progressed as high technology sets us back, People go crazy when people pump gas with cell phones, static electricity warnings and back then the tail light was right at the cap, go figure. I can't recall pyrotechnic stories about gas filling, only Pintos and Corvairs

greg

My wife has a 2013 Edge Limited and it doesn't have a gas cap! You just open the gas door, stick the gas nozzle in and pump. I don't drive it much and every time I put gas in it, I fumble around for the gas cap after putting the gas in. :rolleyes: Then it's DOH! it don't have a gas cap!

The 1968 Charger was to have two gas caps accommodating filling from either side, ;)

The big Jags had 2 caps and 2 tanks...which was great... until, in one failure mode of the crossover-feed, the pump would put all the fuel from both tanks into one, and the excess would overflow out the cap and on to the ground. Gallons.

1971_Jaguar_XJ6_For_Sale_Side_resize.jpg

On my '67 Impala the gas cap is behind the rear license plate. The plate attachment thing is spring loaded, you pull it down and there's the gas cap. Kind of a pain... you practically have to get on your knees to fill 'er up.

I worked at a gas station and convenience store and we pumped all gas. I had a 69 chey with the tank and cap like yours spray gas all over me when it would get almost full. I did like the job and people.

My '74 911 had a door cover on the front left fender that had two caps. One was gas, the other was washer fluid. I had to stop gas pump idiots more than once trying to put gas in the windshield washer tank. Oh, yea, that was back in the day before self service.

On my '67 Impala the gas cap is behind the rear license plate. The plate attachment thing is spring loaded, you pull it down and there's the gas cap. Kind of a pain... you practically have to get on your knees to fill 'er up.

My '72 Coronet sedan is that way (as are all 1971-1978 Dodge / Plymouth B-bodies) . I like it ! No concerns about getting "C-blocked" at the pump , as you're always on the ideal island / pump , as the filler's centre-mounted :) .

The downside is here in California ; those stupid vapour recovery nozzles' "boots" require one to babysit the fuel dispenser ; force is some-time required to keep the flippin' nozzle from flailling-out of its position !

My '74 911 had a door cover on the front left fender that had two caps. One was gas, the other was washer fluid. I had to stop gas pump idiots more than once trying to put gas in the windshield washer tank. Oh, yea, that was back in the day before self service.

The '72 911 had a dry-sump tank oil-filler door on the quarter panel behind the passenger door. More than one engine was destroyed when the oil tank was filled with gasoline.

72-Porsche-911S-re.jpg

The '72 911 had a dry-sump tank oil-filler door on the quarter panel behind the passenger door. More than one engine was destroyed when the oil tank was filled with gasoline.

72-Porsche-911S-re.jpg

In 74 they moved it into the engine compartment next to the oil filter, I suspect just to prevent that problem. The dip stick was also in the filler. Never quite came to grips with how the dip stick worked as the oil tank for the dry sump was in the right front fender. Just over 2 1/2 gallons of oil for an oil change. They say these were air cooled engines, but a big copper tank and that much oil made them as much oil cooled. ;)