Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Fury Custom Suburban " Long Roof "

Mopar - D

This is a Motor City Resin kit and a Gibson 383 resin engine that I'm starting with. This is going to be a factory stock build with Mist Blue Ploy DD- 1 and a blue interior. I'm going to add the correct side trim on the body because the body is cast for a Surburban model level and also change out the tail lights. The front and rear bumpers are from a JoHan police car kit I that have parts from. The resin bumpers that come with the kit are not chrome. I plan to add some more detail to the interior like the door arm rests and the back section needs some work to look like A 1:1. Already soaked all the resin parts in bleche white and washed so they are ready. The paint is on order from Paint-Scratch and the new rear tail lights and hub caps are coming from Modelhaus. Here's a what I'm starting with.

04491a9811a5c5e91438006504096d7d.jpg

The front bumper / grill is not fitting up the way I would like it to and I have a police car parts body I'm going to cut and replace the resin front with the police cars front. I've cut the police car fenders off getting ready to cut the wagon fenders off. I have also started adding some detail to the seats to make them like the ones that came in the custom Surburban. After I sprayed the primer I have more work to do to the seats to clean them up.

cdb735b981b8f22566bf13759079be76.jpg

14475917e3175a9210398f7dcc3ef3c1.jpg

8d5ffadc3c24b9825d69f2dc295d4075.jpg

15624678517922a8d38bb966874afade.jpg

ad18eaa875403bfc97c70768cf6ca0e9.jpg

Nice work so far Dan. I noticed you keep calling it a suburban, but Im pretty sure it would have been called a Plymouth Fury station wagon. I gew up back in the days when these were popular family grocery getters around town. The Ford galaxy wagons were another popular family car in those days. I love the old station wagons, and which the model companies would produce more of them. I like how your doing all the scratch building work to it. And I look forward to watching you build as you go along.

Nice work so far Dan. I noticed you keep calling it a suburban, but Im pretty sure it would have been called a Plymouth Fury station wagon.

Suburban is what Plymouth named their full size wagons from the '50s into the '70s, isn't it?

Edited by Rob Hall

Aaaah ok I understand where you got that from now. I know for advertizing, the advertizing department would call them that. But they were never name badged that way. At least not when I worked for them. The guys around Chrysler Corporate just called them what they were. Station wagons lol.

Just wanted to add, that I wasnt trying to be picky or anything. Its just when i saw your title the first time. I actually thought I was popping into your post to look at a power wagon build. Which was what chrysler called their version of the chevy suburban. When I reaslized it was a station wagon, I was wondering why you called it what you did. The advertizing department was the ones that really called them suburbans, that and some dealers. But like I said, in the modeling world it doesnt really matter. It's still a good build and your's is one I intend to follow as you go. I like wagon builds of any kind, and especially a mopar one.

Worked on the back section of the interior added the spare tire hump and smoothed the floor. Also added door arm rests but need to move the back door arm rests back some. I'm also going to use the AMT 68 road runner rear axle, exhaust and front A frame so next I will be grinding out the molded ones out of the chassis.

7a16d6bbf6592e969e9a141089cbf35d.jpg

In '67, they were still called Fury- I, II and III.

New York state registered station wagons as "suburbans". I had two.

Wagons, station wagons, suburban, suburban wagon, any of the four would be correctly named. The advertizing department for Chrysler mostly used the suburban designation, the corporate department heads just called em wagons. For production plant purposes they would even be called Fury-I II and III (depending on the production year) or Fury Custom- Fury Sport And just plan Fury(depending on the year) -with four door extended body after whatever name they decided to use on the production paper work at the time. Different states would title them different, for instance, as you said, NY would title them as suburbans, But Delaware, for instance, would title and plate them as a truck for some reason. But then Delaware plated any thing beyond a four door car as a truck back then. Don't know if they still do or not. Some states would even title or plate station wagons as vans back then.