Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

On April 23, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Mr mopar said:

The car has to be one of the ugliest show rod made .

Ā 

On April 25, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Jantrix said:

Ā 

I gotta agree. George Barris really is the king of ugly customs.Ā 

I agree, the Uncertain T and the Bath Tub Buggy are ugly. The only thing George Barris did that I liked was converting the Ford FuturaĀ into the Batmobile..

On 4/28/2018 at 3:42 PM, slusher said:

Ā 

I agree, the Uncertain T and the Bath Tub Buggy are ugly. The only thing George Barris did that I liked was converting the Ford FuturaĀ into the Batmobile..

Yeah, and most of THAT was already designed by Ford for the Motorama in the 50s. He even tried to "ugly" that up but couldn't.Ā 

His brother Sam had an eye for good design. George just took the credit when other builders did good work.

• 4 weeks later...

Call me stupid if you like but I put in for one copy of the kit at $25.00. I've spent or lost more and gotten less many times in the past. If he's successful and I get one, great. If not well, I'm not out that much and it was gone so long ago that I'll never miss the $$ anyway.Ā 

On ā€Ž4ā€Ž/ā€Ž30ā€Ž/ā€Ž2018 at 3:02 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

His brother Sam had an eye for good design. George just took the credit when other builders did good work.

I've said this before, since George is dead we'll never know the answer to this BUT, I've heard many comments about how ugly some of the stuff George did was. Has anyone, besides me, ever considered just how much of the work that George did that's considered ugly was done that way because the customer, PAYING THE BILL, was standing over George saying, "I want it this way or else." A lot of his stuff was unattractive but look when he had a chance to create or embellish on his own, we got the Batmobile, THE Batmobile, the only Batmobile that matters. Sure it was an embellishment of the Futura but still...it's beautiful, made more so by the alterations to Bat-ify it. We'll never know just how much of each creation was Barris and how much was a customer with bad taste. George is still King of the Customizers and I miss him to this day. I wish I could have met the man.

Thank you. He was in business that long for a reason. He did quality work. Quality work does not mean beautiful work. If someone wants an ugly car...hey, the bills gotta get paid. I mean gee, Andy Di Dia bragged about spending $150k on his rolling turd. Whatever floats his boat.

44 minutes ago, 1st 700 Quad said:

I've said this before, since George is dead we'll never know the answer to this BUT, I've heard many comments about how ugly some of the stuff George did was. Has anyone, besides me, ever considered just how much of the work that George did that's considered ugly was done that way because the customer, PAYING THE BILL, was standing over George saying, "I want it this way or else." A lot of his stuff was unattractive but look when he had a chance to create or embellish on his own, we got the Batmobile, THE Batmobile, the only Batmobile that matters. Sure it was an embellishment of the Futura but still...it's beautiful, made more so by the alterations to Bat-ify it. We'll never know just how much of each creation was Barris and how much was a customer with bad taste. George is still King of the Customizers and I miss him to this day. I wish I could have met the man.

You have to see his creativity as a collective whole to be able to judge. Especially the stuff he claimed entirely as his own.

Then compare the cars Sam Barris did in his all too brief career. Including one of the first - if not THE FIRST 49 Mercs chopped in So. Cal and the Hirohata Merc, and you'll see who had an eye for design.

The fact that George took credit for other builders is legendary. Dean Jefferies,Ā  Larry Watson,Ā  Bill Hines and probably many more. He was knownĀ to buy pre-built customs, change some trim, paint it and then show it as his own creation. It's the one thing that always irked me about his business ethics.

Case in point, compare the 66 Batmobile that he gets credit for building and compare it with the Lincoln Futura that it was based on and you'll see 90% of it is Ford's "better idea" the rest is just the gingerbread he added to it. The original Batmobile is the best BatmobileĀ though.Ā 

On 4/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, slusher said:

Ā 

Lincoln Futura, not a Ford Futura (which was a Falcon HT).

Some of that is changing fashion.Ā  The custom scene went from "less is more" to "more is more" to "too much isn't nearly enough", though the kindest thing you can say about the Modern Grecian is that it probably took a lot of work to make it look that way.

However, let's check out this Ferarri Barris had built for his own use:

212991_front_3-4_web.png?w=960&h=480&cro

The outside's not bad, and I think he actually managed to improve the front. I like the colour, though it could do without the stripe.

Now the interior...

george-barris-ferrari-308-gts.jpg

Again, I could live without the stripes, but does this strike anyone else as really sloppy work for someone who called himself King of the Customizers?

Now this....

This is just nasty.Ā  I know it's from the early days of dashboard electronices, but you would think he'd be able to scrounge up some lights and switches that didn't look like he scrounged them from Radio Shack.

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Now the interior...

Again, I could live without the stripes, but does this strike anyone else as really sloppy work for someone who called himself King of the Customizers?

Now this....

This is just nasty.Ā  I know it's from the early days of dashboard electronices, but you would think he'd be able to scrounge up some lights and switches that didn't look like he scrounged them from Radio Shack.

Speaking of nasty Barris interiors...

Farrah's Foxy Vette.

05288b.jpg.eb756d26ed2861ceb4f6d20d54ab62de.jpg

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Here's the original Monkeemobile and it's designer/builder Dean Jefferies.Ā 

da0cc6a22c181ed8ac41a0c32b41bb3e.jpg.6bcee80164dec64c8a461241c287d8b6.jpg

post-10661-0-14637700-1412441982.jpg.8341ee11f213b329226581eb9c245a90.jpg

And George trying to take the credit

monkeemobile-web.thumb.jpg.be2ecd0a4112332641a6abd3226a5c3f.jpg

Thankfully the TV show gave Dean the proper credit.Ā 

Monkees-Credits.jpg.5a389e8a99fbaef4691ef45af1f10af5.jpg

Also, Here's a blog written about Barris' integrity.Ā 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/master-fabricator-wherein-george-barris-takes-credit-everything-150734830.html?source=images

R&C articles on the restoration of the Hirohata Merc detailing just what sort of "craftsmanship" was underneath those sleek curves http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/barris-1/hirohata_mercury-1/hirohata-merc-rc-ar/hirohata-r-c-89-12.html#media

Another Barris custom, and what it was made of https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/barris-kustom-shop/inside-a-barris-kustom/

On 5/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

However, let's check out this Ferarri Barris had built for his own use:

212991_front_3-4_web.png?w=960&h=480&cro

The outside's not bad, and I think he actually managed to improve the front. I like the colour, though it could do without the stripe.

Now the interior...

Now this....

Speaker boxes and Radio Shack electronics - in a Ferrari.

Just Tacky!

I'm surprised he didn't use Cragar SS Wheels on it too. The stripes on the seats make it look like a promotion for a pizza delivery joint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...