Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

Good Grief, can't believe the sniveling and whining about the Uncertain T being found.  Guess I hadn't considered just how polarizing the Uncertain T is to a lot of people. Just a read through some of the comments on the HAMB in just this one thread, there are others too with an equal number of haters and those who appreciate the Uncertain T for what it is and was when it first hit the Show Circuit.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-uncertain-t-saga-and-some-facts.1309769/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skip said:

Good Grief, can't believe the sniveling and whining about the Uncertain T being found.  Guess I hadn't considered just how polarizing the Uncertain T is to a lot of people. Just a read through some of the comments on the HAMB in just this one thread, there are others too with an equal number of haters and those who appreciate the Uncertain T for what it is and was when it first hit the Show Circuit.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-uncertain-t-saga-and-some-facts.1309769/

Doesn't surprise me being polarizing there. Since that group is mostly a traditional rods and customs community I can see a lot of members absolutely hating the outlandish nature of it's design.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Skip said:

I think the "I don't cares" are underrepresented. :D

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sfhess said:

Some people like it, some people don't.  Deal with it.

That really wasn't the point was it, it is the observation that the Uncertain T was pretty polarizing wherever it is discussed, (not just the HAMB, I've hung around there long enough to get it with them - its historical but in no way Traditional).

On 2/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, Skip said:

Ha! It's WAAAYYY too easy to get those old geezers at the HMAB to get their knickers in a twist. Ya gotta have some pretty thick skin to hang over there... -RRR

• Like 1

One thing that is bugging me about this car, Did Steve Scott use Beetle torsion bars for the front suspension on the Uncertain-T?  
I can’t see anything like leaves or coils of any time in the pics of the real car or model kit, just a tube on the frame behind the axle the what appears to be arms that run from that to the front axle.

37 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

One thing that is bugging me about this car, Did Steve Scott use Beetle torsion bars for the front suspension on the Uncertain-T?  
I can’t see anything like leaves or coils of any time in the pics of the real car or model kit, just a tube on the frame behind the axle the what appears to be arms that run from that to the front axle.

Here ya go. I believe it was called a transverse torsion bar system. Top pic from the H.A.M.B. article. Bottom pic from TBucketPlans.com.

Unceertain T front  suspension.jpeg

Uncertain-T-exposed-6.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

On 2/6/2024 at 7:08 PM, Joe Handley said:

Good catch on the at by the way, it did use some sort of torsion bar set up to hold the front end up (it sort of looks like a dragster type set up). Not sure if they are VW torsion leaves or not. He could have used some of the dragster type torsion bars. I would tend to think that the torsion bars were something that had been modified for use on the car. wouldn't think that it was something that Steve Scott designed and built, unless by trial and error as the spring rates of the torsion springs is kind of over most people's heads to figure out. 

On 2/6/2024 at 8:29 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Ha! It's WAAAYYY too easy to get those old geezers at the HMAB to get their knickers in a twist. Ya gotta have some pretty thick skin to hang over there... -RRR

It is after all a traditional hot rod website...with a cut off date around 1964-65 when the muscle cars started their prominence. Dont like it ?..dont hang around...Im sure there are plenty of other sites catering to whatever era you prefer.                     There's a scale modeling website called TRAK ( Traditional Rod and Kustom ) that runs along the same lines as the H.A.M.B.                           And if wacked out show rods like some of George Barris or Tom Daniels bizarre conceptions are your thing...theres Dave's Show Rods. To each their own.

10 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Dont like it ?..dont hang around...

Did I say I didn't like? I lurk there frequently. If you've ever spent any time on that site, then you'll agree there is a whole lot of attitude there. By the way, the HAMB cut off date is 1948, the last year for hot rods. Do you know why that date is used?  I have a couple of builds on Dave's Show Rod site, do you? I used to be a member of TRaK but I was run off of that site. That's another story that will remain private. Peace out... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

On 2/6/2024 at 8:29 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Yeah, I'm about to be let go (banned) by one of the moderators on there...

Edited by deuces wild

3 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Did I say I didn't like? I lurk there frequently. If you've ever spent any time on that site, then you'll agree there is a whole lot of attitude there. By the way, the HAMB cut off date is 1948, the last year for hot rods. Do you know why that date is used?  I have a couple of builds on Dave's Show Rod site, do you? I used to be a member of TRaK but I was run off of that site. That's another story that will remain private. Peace out... -RRR

For one thing the 1948 cut off was set by the early NSRA parameters, if I remember correctly because 1949 marked the "Shoe Box" era with the blended fenders versus the detachable from almost any pre-48 body. Pretty sure that's oversimplifying it. NSRA also declared that post 1949 classified it as a "Street Machine".

I pretty much lurk over at the HAMB too, unless you are one who invests time in extended build threads and endless discussions of your build, justifying every nut bolt and widget, you won't be accepted into the "Good Ol' Boys Network". So, I get about as much out of the HAMB by lurking as participating, I really like the vintage drag racing as in restored race cars and the restored Hot Rods

RRR - I don't recall you being run off TRAK, most of everything that I've seen you build fits in with our build parameters, pre-1969 and Muscle Cars excluded. There can be some attitude over there too regarding what parts, wheels, engines should be allowed or not. Of late things have been loosening up over there, but we are in no way snobbish to the point of HAMB, (when politics of building enter into things it just becomes a lot less fun). Not to mention that I've always enjoyed your builds and generally learn a bit from each of them.

7 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Not sure I understand the "ins and outs" of that H.A.M.B. site then...not being a full scale hot rodder. I go there mainly to look at all the great photos that get posted...and I'm sure Ive seen a hell of a lot of gasser and dragster photos from the early sixties. So go figure. As for TRAK...they ran you off? Something you said was not " TRAKable " ?  I dont post my stuff there...but do like the build threads...and Q&A threads. P.S. When I did my 1/32 Belly Tank racer I did extensive research on every website I could find...and if I recall correctly I think it was your "barn find" belly tanker that was the best example of belly tank modeling of all my finds...an absolute masterpiece...right up there with Steve Catron's Markley Bros. build decades ago...

Nothing at all wrong with liking some things, and not liking other things, and certainly nothing wrong with wanting to form a group with a particular focus.   You can definitely see a major shift in what we call hot rodding round about the early/mid '60s, so it does seen a natural cutoff point,    Personally, I've found the HAMB to be a great source of reference material, especially on the early days of hot roddiing, and on period construction techniques,

When it starts to get irritating is when the definition of "traditional" becomes increasingly arbitrary, and worse, things can be disqualified even if you follow all the rules for period correctness, but it still doesn't meet half imagined notion of "traditional".  Worse, when the people laying down the law show that they have no understanding of the thing they're laying down the law on.   This was why I ended up leaving TRaK

• Like 2