Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nacho Z's hobby room

I thought I would share some pictures of my hobby room / Earnhardt shrine. :D When I started back in this hobby I used a card table to build on. I moved to a home-made bench in a bare basement. The bench was next to the washer and dryer and all of the lint that comes with it. There was no heat. I would tack up an old bed spread from the floor joists to keep the lint out and the heat in. I did this for a number of years until I decided to make a dedicated room for my hobby. The room has evolved over the years and I have ran out of room for my goodies. These pictures were taken almost a year ago when I did my yearly cleaning and organizing. I am kind of a neat freak and keep my room pretty organized at all times.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures. I absolutely love this room and regret not spending more time in it.

This is the view as you open the door. Did you catch the ceiling tiles?

DSC00435-vi.jpg

Looking to the left.

DSC00455-vi.jpg

At bench, looking to the right.

DSC00457-vi.jpg

At the bench, looking back.

DSC00437-vi.jpg

DSC00438-vi.jpg

DSC00440-vi.jpg

I ran out of room inside the room so I had to move some kits to the outside..... ;)

DSC00442-vi.jpg

DSC00452-vi.jpg

Do you actually do any work in there? Mine looks a lot more like New Orleans After the hurricane! Only with more dust & empty boxes! :blink: Steve

Yes Steve, I do get some work done, just not nearly enough. :rolleyes: I haven't been down there at all this Summer. I go down to throw on the Opti-visor to dig out the occassional sliver or un-knot one of my wife's necklaces.....lol.

And I though three unbuilt kits was a lot....

Give it time Miles, give it time....... At one time I only had three unbuilt models :lol:. There is a lot of years of collecting, birthday gifts, Father's Day gifts, Christmas gifts, Boss' Day gifts, this is a great price and I can't pass it up gifts to myself, etc, etc. Seriously, I have found over time that if I do not pick up a kit that I want when I see it, there is a good chance that I will miss out on it and may not be able to find it later. This is my only vice. My one indulgence. I hope everyone else enjoys this hobby as much as I do.

Hi, I'm Ken. I too am a plastic addict.

I see you are as OCD as I am. I am just fortunate enough that my wife wanted a 4 bedroom house for her, my son, myself and dogs, cats, more dogs, more cats and my models. I unfortunately haven't gone to the extent you have and actually built a proper space in the 8 years we've been here. I have an old kitchen table and a hard wooden chair to sit in.

This is how they look when you're a total slob......like me! I think I better get out a little Windex! :) Steve

That is how my area looked before I decided to build my room. I even have the breaker box.....lol. Look at my first picture, it is behind the gray #3 wall covering, (behind the LA Street Chopper model). It was getting harder and harder to stay organized without shelving and storage areas.

ASTEROIDS MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!! MAN YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Mike, the Asteroids game is GREAT!! Long story short, you know how every convenience store had several video games? And there were video arcades? And eventually the video games started disappearing from lack of being used? Well, they had to go somewhere. My buddy knew a guy from "American Vending" and they worked a deal for my buddy to buy some video games from the warehouse. He ended up buying 13 full sized arcade games plus this Asteroids game for me. Got it for $100. It is in great shape and fully functional!

Edited by Nacho Z

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys!  I hope you read the introduction that is posted before the pictures.  I didn't always have such a nice hobby room.  One thing that I am proud of is the fact that I built the room myself.  I put a lot of time in planning and building that room.  I have really enjoyed it.  Easy to heat in the winter and stays cool in the summer.