Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern Top Fuel Dragster

curt raitz

I want to build Melanie Troxels Top Fuel dragster she raced in 2006 from one of Revell's latest Top Fuel dragster kits.

I have the decal from Slixx, Competition Resin goodies, etc to complete the task. Also have a few reference photos from Sears Point (Infineon), but I'm lacking information where all the fuel lines and electrical wiring comes and goes.

Building one of these beasts requires attention to adding these componets...but again, I'm not looking for every little bitty wire that goes everywhere.

Hope to document as I start building, no guarantees though, cuz the camera and model bench never seem to communicate with each other.

troxel6-vi.jpg

thanx

Edited by curt raitz

Curt...

Nice shot of the dragster...

Detailing one of these can be fun and trying at the same time. When finished you can sit back and go wow...

here are a few diagrams to help you out..

InjectorSchematic-vi.jpg

this is more the top end of the injector hat and Blower system.

TwinFuelPumpSchematic-vi.jpg

Fuel Pump and fuel feed lines and returns.

AirSystemSchematic-vi.jpg

For the clutch system , since you are doing a dragster that will show some..

SensorSchematic-vi.jpg

Here is the sensors for the Data compiled by the Computer.

I used to go to sears Point when I lived right across the bay from there.

Thanks for posting the schematics, Dwayne! That's very helpful. I am building one of my Bugzappers in M&M Crispy markings for contest use and was just going to do fuel and ignition. I think I may do it all now!

What do current oil systems look like these days? I have seen those large filters mounted on the engine. Are they still dry sump? Oil reservoirs?

Thanks for posting the schematics, Dwayne! That's very helpful. I am building one of my Bugzappers in M&M Crispy markings for contest use and was just going to do fuel and ignition. I think I may do it all now!

What do current oil systems look like these days? I have seen those large filters mounted on the engine. Are they still dry sump? Oil reservoirs?

Andy ..

I believe they are still dry sump...and the filter is just plced that way so it will drain all the way for a filter chage..

Sounds good to me.. Maybe someone on the 1320 board or other forums will tell..

Dwayne,

thank you for the schematics

I'm in trouble...now everyone will know were all the stuff goes! :o

Kinda hide the plumbing and wiring in a Top Fuel car anyway...no fenders or firewall to disapear them into

Gotta start plumbing if I want to finish this thing for the NNL WEST :o

Hi, I worked for Mckinney race cars untill 2001 building top fuel dragsters and funny cars. At that time the funny cars were dry sump but most of the dragsters were wet sump again. In 1999 and 2000 about 1/2 the dragsters went to wet sump to help with the new oil down rules. You can tell by the body (mud flap) on the right side steps out 2 1/2" to fit the dry sump tank. The Troxel car is a Hadman so in 06 it could of had a mag body or later in the year the 1 pc cabon body. both had differant outlet ducks on the sides than the revell as well as taller cockpit sides and 1 pc wing. As far as motor and clutch stuff i am no help that went in after it left us. Hope i could be some help.

post-1809-1201094575_thumb.jpg