Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint stripping with brake fluid

Also a Dawn and toothbrush user. Just get the plain blue Dawn though, none of the scented stuff or the stuff with extra hand moisturizer in it. Matter of fact, I give all my bodies a bath in it before paint whether they were stripped with brake fluid or brand new.

Edited by kalbert

Also a Dawn and toothbrush user. Just get the plain blue Dawn though, none of the scented stuff or the stuff with extra hand moisturizer in it. Matter of fact, I give all my bodies a bath in it before paint whether they were stripped with brake fluid or brand new.

X2

Just beware of dishwashing detergents that promise "Clean Down To The Shine" though, as often those brands contain silicones to give that shine--and silicones are the worst enemy of any paint job! For that reason, I simply use a toothbrush, wetted, and scrubbed on a used bar of Dial Soap--that always works for me, getting rid of any and all surface contaminants, and best of all, it's pretty much free of cost--after all, what else can I do with a thin sliver of Dial that's too thin to withstand a wet washcloth without breaking up?

Art

All excellent tips. As follow-up, I removed the brake fluid quite easily with the recommended Dawn, hot-ish water and toothbrush.

That's the good news.

The bad news is my stripped part did not release all primer after 3 days in the BF.

Will test with Easy-off as advised by Ace.