Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

mrmike

• 2 years later...

The Charger has come out of hiding again!  I am bound and determined to finish the Charger this time.  I work on it a little bit and then I put it back on the shelf.  Well, not this time.  

I fired up the paintbooth this morning and got out a can of Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic and painted the '68 Charger this morning.  This is three mist coats of paint.  The chassis had a piece of 1 1/2" wide painters tape in the center so I could make the chassis overspray.  This works pretty good! 

More Charger R/T to come...

Charger25.JPG

Charger26.JPG

Charger27.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to lower the front suspension and the only sensible way seems to be to raise the king pins on the on the backing plates.  When this dries, I'll paint them with Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black.  I have this PE set left over from the '69 Charger SE R/T I built years ago and I didn't use all the pieces.  I superglued the fan blades onto the fan center and will use this on the 440 CI engine.  The chassis is in progress.  The suspensions are only in mockup and the exhaust has been glued in.

Charger28.JPG

Charger29.JPG

Charger30.JPG

Well, I goofed up again!  I used black embossing powder for carpet and then painted the floor pan with Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue.  The blue did not cover the black.  What was I thinking?!!!  So, I spent about an hour scraping the black embossing powder and glue from the floor pan and I will start over with white embossing powder.  I have never used this brace since it can't be seen.  The first time I tried to use it, the instructions didn't indicate how this was suppose to be positioned.  This time I figured it out and installed the brace that the back seat will cover completely.

Charger31.JPG

Charger32.JPG

Charger33.JPG

I had used some old white lettered Goodyear decals and they had turned brown on the tires.  I peeled them off and found a partial sheet of Shabo Graphics transfers in the decal drawer that I had forgotten about.  I used these and then added a coat of Model Master Acryl Semi Gloss Clear over the transfers.  I may clear over these with Model Master Acryl Flat Clear instead as these are a bit too glossy.  This is where I am at with the chassis.  It is minus the 440 CID 4-bbl. engine and 4-speed transmission and the driveshaft.  I need to finish the engine before installing it into the chassis.  I couldn't resist a mockup with the Cragar SS wheels and Goodyear tires.

Charger34.JPG

Charger35.JPG

Charger36.JPG

Another couple of coats of Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic has been applied to the Charger.  I applied a coat of Tamiya White Surface Primer to the center cushion to cover the grey plastic.  When I paint the center cushion with Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic, it should match the rest of the interior.  I also painted a set of Hemi valve covers Testors Flat Black Lacquer for another 426 CI Hemi I am building.

Charger37.JPG

Charger38.JPG

Charger39.JPG

I started on the Charger interior this morning.  I added the dark inserts to the seats and inserted the seats and shifter into the interior pan.  I'll let the interior side panels dry a bit before I add them to the interior pan.

More Charger to come...

Charger40.JPG

Charger41.JPG

Charger42.JPG

I have been reading about torque boxes for Mopars lately and the current issue of Scale Auto has an article about the torque boxes on the Revell '70 Charger R/T and how the Revell '68/'69 Chargers don't have them.  I decided to see if I could make a set of torque boxes for my '68 Charger R/T.  I looked (actually stared) at the picture in Scale Auto of a '70 Charger R/T  for a while and tried to design one out of .020" sheet styrene.  Some cutting here, clipping there and a little bending and I think I have the beginnings of a torque box.  What do you guys think?

More Charger to come...

Charger46.JPG

Charger47.JPG

Charger48.JPG

More work done on the Charger today.  I added the pie plate decal to the air cleaner after I painted the air cleaner.  I cut the decal just above the Magnum lettering to help it snug down around the air cleaner.  I painted the rear panel Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black and trimmed the edges with my 1 mm Molotow Chrome Pen.  I added the torque boxes and painted them with Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue and a small brush.

More Charger to come...

Charger49.JPG

Charger50.JPG

Charger51.JPG

Thanks Keith and Steve!  

I raided my wife's sewing box tonight for 4 pins.  These pins have a round, smooth head.  I drilled 4 holes in the centerline of the front and rear fenders.  I have been told that I am a brave sole for drilling into a freshly painted body.  Thank you very much!  I added a touch of Superglue to the hole on the inside of the fender and inserted the pins.  I cut off the shaft of the pin and painted the heads with a drop of Tamiya Clear Orange and Clear Red paint.  Now, I have round side markers for my '68 Charger R/T.  They have a 3 dimensional look to them instead of a flat decal.

More Charger to come...

Charger52.JPG

Charger53.JPG

Charger54.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Keith!  I like doing this since the decals are flat and 2 dimensional (height and width) versus the 3 dimensional (height, width and depth) effect of adding the pins.  Any 1968 Mopar can benefit from this procedure if the fenders don't have the appropriate detail to them or you can sand off that detail and add the pin heads.  You can also find some styrene tubing with the hole in the tubing the same size as the pin head.  Just cut off a sliver of tubing and place it over the pin head on the fender and create the outer edge of the marker bezel.  The AMT '68 Hemi Road Runner has the side marker detail, but the detail is flat and below the fender surface.  I added the pin heads and I changed the look of the fenders.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:57 AM, mrmike said:

Thanks Dave!  Extension rails?!!!  What extension rails?  Are these subframe connectors for a unibody car?    If that is what you are referring to, no.  This is probably more of a "Day 2" car than anything else.

Yea thats what i meant

• 2 weeks later...