Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/8 Jaguar Query

Anyone know if either any super detail parts were ever made for this kit, or a right hand drive conversion kit etc.

This looks a real fantastic kit for the time, 1960s but I would like to build a UK version.

Thanks, John.

I'm not aware of any superdetailing kits. But I converted mine to right hand drive and it isn't really that difficult. I also cut open the tailgate (which is side hinged on the real thing, something that never ceases to amaze me) and the fuel filler flap. I'll dig up the project from the garage these days and post pics and an explanation how to do the RHD conversion. Stay tuned.

There has been no superdetail aftermarket parts.

But some parts can be used, like wire-wheels made for Pocher kits. I 've seen a set, set you back 1200 dollar.

LHD to RHD is utterly simple. basically the hardest part is making the dashboard RHD, but not really hard.

AND; don't forget to fill up the seem-lines! I made a small tutorial for this

No detail parts specifically made for this kit, but don't let that stop you!

I scratchbuilt a lot of details on mine from simple things like styrene rod, paper clip wire, thin sheet aluminum (from a pie tin!), etc. It just takes a little imagination. Under the hood I added a ton of detail...carb linkages, cooling fan, scratchbuilt tie rod, various linkages, wiring, etc. I opened up the hatch and the rear side windows (and the gas cap)...etc, etc. All done by scratchbuilding. NO aftermarket parts at all! You can do it too!

Jaguarprogress12.jpg

Jaguarprogress5.jpg

Jaguarprogress11.jpg

Jaguarprogress16.jpg

Jaguarprogress21.jpg

Jaguarprogress20.jpg

ive built this one once, but it was long ago and i didnt do anything special, didnt even paint it, and it still is together and looking decent though now i wish i had done some more detailing, especially seeing that one from harry! i think youve posted it before and i was ga ga over it then too. man that engine compartment looks real! except theres no gas leaking from the SUs and no oil seepage either!

q: why do brits drink warm beer?

a: because lucas makes their refrigerators!

q: why did the brits give up on making computers?

a: because they couldnt figure out how to make them leak oil!

Since I took those photos I've added MORE details under the hood.

All scratch-built, no aftermarket stuff. So to answer the original post, you don't need to rely on the aftermarket to detail a model!

Agree. This is actually quite easy to work on. Surprisingly even the real car is.

q: why do brits drink warm beer?

a: because lucas makes their refrigerators!

q: why did the brits give up on making computers?

a: because they couldnt figure out how to make them leak oil!

This is not fair!

Think of all the industry firsts Lucas introduced:

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas invented the first intermittent wiper, the self-dimming headlamp and the original Anti-Theft device.

And if Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

There are strict laws for British sports cars, which can be found here: http://www.team.net/sol/humour/car_laws.html

There is an FAQ: http://www.team.net/sol/humour/faq.html

Gosh, telling Lucas jokes is indeed black humor.

And a real gentleman doesn't motor after dark anyway.

Oh, How do you get two whales in a Mini?

Up the M5 to Cannock then follow the signs to Llangollen.

Since I took those photos I've added MORE details under the hood.

All scratch-built, no aftermarket stuff. So to answer the original post, you don't need to rely on the aftermarket to detail a model!

Harry, this is a fantastic build. I'm just gathering information and will somehow log your pics for later if thats ok. As well as Steef's feature on seam filling the body onthe other thread, all is invalauable info to share.

I'm going to keep checking back here for more info.

Many thanks, John

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

John; No, unfortunatelly not. Due to time-restrictions I couldn't do the effort. But I will do it on my next Jag.

Harry; Could you send me one too? It would be so good to have it for my next Jag. (which will be a lightweight modified)

Send me your address. I'll make a copy and send you one.

This is not fair!

Think of all the industry firsts Lucas introduced:

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas invented the first intermittent wiper, the self-dimming headlamp and the original Anti-Theft device.

And if Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

There are strict laws for British sports cars, which can be found here: http://www.team.net/sol/humour/car_laws.html

There is an FAQ: http://www.team.net/sol/humour/faq.html

Gosh, telling Lucas jokes is indeed black humor.

And a real gentleman doesn't motor after dark anyway.

Oh, How do you get two whales in a Mini?

Up the M5 to Cannock then follow the signs to Llangollen.

Hey, whats this slagging off my beloved country's sports cars, :rolleyes: Didn't you know Joe Lucas is revered as the Prince of Darkness to us motorcyclists! By the way I ride a BSA A65 that doesn't leak a drop, unlike my friends Royal Oilfield, sorry Enfield.

Thanks,John

Hey, whats this slagging off my beloved country's sports cars, :rolleyes: Didn't you know Joe Lucas is revered as the Prince of Darkness to us motorcyclists! By the way I ride a BSA A65 that doesn't leak a drop, unlike my friends Royal Oilfield, sorry Enfield.

Thanks,John

There is only one explanation: There is no oil left to leak in your BSA. You better fill it up soon.

• 1 month later...

The kit represents the very first generation E-type.

In fact, it represents one of the first 500 cars off the production line, because only the first 500 had the external bonnet latches that you see molded into the sides of the hood (bonnet). After those first 500, Jaguar went to internally-released (from the cockpit) latches.

The kit represents the very first generation E-type.

In fact, it represents one of the first 500 cars off the production line, because only the first 500 had the external bonnet latches that you see molded into the sides of the hood (bonnet). After those first 500, Jaguar went to internally-released (from the cockpit) latches.

That's why I usually remove them. They look ###### being molded on and not seperate.