Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Firebird Formula tribute build. Update (12-25-14) Finished w Pictures

TFchronos

This build here is a tribute build to a car my Dad owned, a '77 Firebird Formula. He found it at small time dealer back in the late 80's, did a lot with it and has so many stories he could go on forever talking about it. He sold it just before I was born in '90 for a more "family friendly" car. Of all the cars he has owned this is the one car that if he could go back and save only one from his past it would this one. So I thought I would try to build it and surprise him with it on the morning of Dec. 25th. I'll be taking the Revel Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am and converting it over to a close a replica as my skill level will let me.

Here's what it looked like, one of the many, many places he went in that car too.

S8000152401_zps62c546f1.jpg

That's what I'm trying to match, here's what I'm starting with.

Post1_zpsc5c5c13e.jpg

First round of body work, after covering the T-tops, side vents and cutting way the wheel flaps.

Post21_zpsca86012f.jpg

Post26_zpsd16ba404.jpg

More pics in the next update.

Edited by TFchronos

Nice start! Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but you're doing a great job so far!

Thanks Marshall! Yep, the body work is taking a fair amount of time to get right.

Cool car! ..love the Formulas.

Great job so far! I like this Bandit kit a lot, the interior is accurate for the custom trim pkg and it actually has an A/C compressor. The engine is not so great though...doesn't look anything like a Pontiac V8.

Thank you ShredHippie, yes this new kit has really good detail, I like it too. I'll have to do another one for myself someday.

I'd say you have your work cut out for you, but it looks like a darn fine start.

Hopefully someone did a formula resin hood, but I think those wheels are gonna be a real pain in the butt.

Thanks Rob!

"Reliable" Resin made a hood for it...

Nice Formula, they were always my favorite.

Yep, I've got one but it's much to small, it was made for the MPC 1/25 Blackbird Trans Am. I just started working on this kits hood to turn it into a Formula hood. The shaker cut out has been sealed up. As soon has the glue hardens up a little more I'll start getting putty on it to smooth it out.

Edited by TFchronos

He might be able to get a set of Centerline wheels and just sand off the outer set of bolts.

Yep, those are the rims to going to use.They're about as close as I can get I think.

Nice build!! The wheels look like part of the two piece set that had a spoked second piece that bolted to the center hub. I had a set back in the day.

Thank you Dennis!

Thank you Jeremy!

Here's an update with the body work finished, it's Rust-O-leum Charcoal Grey. It's just a taste dark but I'm hoping that after polishing it will lighten up some. With that said I started sanding on the roof this morning and found it's going to take a while to smooth it out. I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining, it's nice this paint is so durable, I want it to last for a long time.

The hood is taking longer than expected, the patch for the shaker didn't hold so I'm trying it again with some improvements.

Post31_zpsfde11a11.jpg

Post32_zpsa34a52bb.jpg

Post33_zpsfbd46e38.jpg

Post34_zps8f3380bc.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by TFchronos

Nice build!! The wheels look like part of the two piece set that had a spoked second piece that bolted to the center hub. I had a set back in the day.

They were called "wire baskets" and it seems you might be right. Here's pics with and without the basket.

wheelssmall.jpg

Img_3673.jpg

You do nice work, Jonathan. I can appreciate this sort of project because I am doing something similar for my son and detail becomes very important, doesn't it? This will be a nice model when done based on your work thus far.

A gift such as what you are creating is truly a special gift because it is very personal, having been created by your hands especially just for him. It will be the only such car on the planet in the combination that you are building it in and as such, I suspect that it will be a very, very special and treasured possession for him. What could be more personal than this link to his past that you created specifically just for him?

I am in the process of converting a MPC 1980/81 Camaro Z28 into a Berlinetta and it has been an exercise in frustration so far with difficulties in finding the right parts to make the model as close to the real car as possible. I'll be trying to combine the MPC kit with the AMT Baldwin Motion 70 Camaro chassis but it may not work. We'll see when I get to that pint. I enjoy reverse engineering a model to a lower trim line, but it sure can be a lot of work. Keep at it and you'll beat it. I'll be watching your progress. :)

You do nice work, Jonathan. I can appreciate this sort of project because I am doing something similar for my son and detail becomes very important, doesn't it? This will be a nice model when done based on your work thus far.

A gift such as what you are creating is truly a special gift because it is very personal, having been created by your hands especially just for him. It will be the only such car on the planet in the combination that you are building it in and as such, I suspect that it will be a very, very special and treasured possession for him. What could be more personal than this link to his past that you created specifically just for him?

I am in the process of converting a MPC 1980/81 Camaro Z28 into a Berlinetta and it has been an exercise in frustration so far with difficulties in finding the right parts to make the model as close to the real car as possible. I'll be trying to combine the MPC kit with the AMT Baldwin Motion 70 Camaro chassis but it may not work. We'll see when I get to that pint. I enjoy reverse engineering a model to a lower trim line, but it sure can be a lot of work. Keep at it and you'll beat it. I'll be watching your progress. :)

Thank you for the kind words Gary. Doing builds like these really gives you a greater appreciation of the 1:1. Looking over the photos I have noticed much more about the car, some of the details I may not be able to replicate but I'll do my best. Best of luck to you on your project, I'm sure your son will cherish it when it's done. If it's in the w.i.ps I'll be sure to look for it.

Looking good Jonathan. The body work is a big obstacle and you really have it going your way...

Thanks Carl, the body work was a bit of a challenge, the hood is still beating me though. The biggest challenge I think I'll face is replicating the pinstriping. I'm going to try using testors decal maker first and see how that goes.