Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build engine for Pantera

I've restored several real Panteras and heavily modified others, so maybe I can help some.

As you probably know, the cars came stock in the '70s with the Ford 351 Cleveland engine, and a ZF gearbox. A 427 will be a little tight in the engine bay, but it will fit. I've seen real ones with big-block Chevy engines as well.

An excellent engine source for the 427 is the old Revell Parts Pack version...cheap and readily available.

I don't recall a source for a correct ZF transaxle right off hand, but a Porsche 911 gearbox mounted backwards can supply a looks-good-at-first-glance alternative if you're not too concerned with accuracy.

The old AMT Hardcastle & McCormick Coyote could supply a decent starting point for front and rear suspension, though the gearbox in the kit looks nothing like the correct ZF.

This is a ZF...doesn't look much like any of the available kit-sourced mid-engine transaxles.

pantera_ZF_manual.jpg This Porsche gearbox is a fair approximation...901trans2_33366443-dc2a-4742-8318-5cd3c6

If you're building close to stock, the headers are pretty mundane, like these, and tuck close to the sides of the block. Most of the images of "Pantera headers" on Google are wildly modified cars.

mYmA378qxQ85RvmOY37DVLg.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Hewland Transaxle from one of the AM McLaren M8B's removed fron the Chevy and mounted upside down will result in a simular looking Transaxle and if you really want to go into detail the rear plate will need some work. Another nice transaxle is in the Fujimi Porsche 917k.

The Hewland Transaxle from one of the AM McLaren M8B's removed fron the Chevy and mounted upside down will result in a simular looking Transaxle and if you really want to go into detail the rear plate will need some work. Another nice transaxle is in the Fujimi Porsche 917k.

I started to recommend the AM Hewland, as I've seen 1:1 Panteras with that gearbox. I looked in an AM McLaren kit however, and the 1/24 Hewland LG 600 looks to be pretty huge compared to what a scale-correct ZF would be. Besides turning it over, you'd also have to add an engine mounting flange and remove the control-arm mounts from the side covers.

If your Pantera kit is 1/24, you'd probably be better off installing the Hewland right-side up, and letting it just be a Hewland rather than trying to hack it into a ZF. With the 427 you want to use, the big Hewland would be just right (too much is always good).

Hewland LG 600 1235765782wa.jpg

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen a gearbox in some obscure kit that would make a quite-believable stand-in for the ZF. If I figure it out, I'll put up a photo.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have one of those McLarens. It was on sale. I got it just for the engine and its awesome induction system. (I think those intake trumpets would look awesome poking through the hood of a AMT's Baldwin-Motion '70 Camaro). If the OP wants to talk trades, I'm looking for a resin '27 T roadster body.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Ray & Bill, send me a message, I developed a ZF tranaxle proper for my Cizeta V16T build (below is 3 separate pieces, engine, bellhousing, transaxle) which should be correct for you, just adapt bellhousing from donor engine used

1491591_750554161704962_3132515195311277

Edited by Jeremy Jon