Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a "girls " car ?

You got your ultimate girls in their ultimate cars...

Marilyn...

Marilyn_Monroe_Cadillac_54.jpg

Sophia...

sophia-loren-mercedes-300-sl-gullwing-03

Rita...

ritahayworth+1941+lincoln+continental.jp

Paulette Goddard with her Rolls Phantom II...

goddard-car_opt.jpg

Diana Dors owned a '49 Delahaye...

SNN0318DORS-682_1097446a.jpg

...and a Caddy ...

dianadorspinewood.jpg

...and apparently liked to sit on Maseratis... moG3PL-wB-r1-N0agIctr_A.jpg

Kate Moss drives an old Merc...

Kate+Moss+Car.jpg

...and whoever this incredible babe is...she may not own it, but I'd certainly buy it for her.

the_mgm_girl_-_janet_lee_6791046_large.j

And then you got your "get-the-girls" cars... www.tvn.hu_9414a8f5b810972c3c9a0e2860c07

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

IMO just because a girl happens to drive a car, it doesn't mean it's a "girl's car". Rather what makes a girl car is one that is mostly driven by girls, like VW Beetles. Also, girl's cars can be made less "girlie", and vise-versa, so don't feel like all Miatas, Beetles, etc. are girl cars.

My list:

2nd Gen Beetles

Miatas

Most convertibles

4th gen Mustangs

Prius

Like I said, girl cars can be made less girlie and vise-versa.

Original mustang was intended to capture the 'secretary' market.

So, this "youth" market (the one the Mustang was actually designed to appeal to) was made up entierly of secretaries? Seems like every automotive historian who's ever written about the Mustang forgot that little detail...

kattwilliams.jpg

Original mustang was intended to capture the 'secretary' market. nowadays any underpowered 4wd seem to be the 'mom-mobile'.you know, those ones that are hard to park and easy to topple when in trouble.

I read the lee iacocca biography (or autobiography) twice 27yrs ago..

This is correct.. as far as I can remember..

But back then, Cars were designed for men and womens Interest..

Today..

Not soo much.

Women will drive what they want or what is bought for them.

My hair stylest drives a Nice BMW, an Escalade or on nicer days, a Cool looking Prowler. Which has almost 100k miles on it.

1002578_10201266471415423_123682359_n.jp

I would Love to drive a Miata. A street legal Go-Cart I've been told.. I'm 6'3" Soo fitting in one would be a little difficult.. but Possible.

My G/F Would love to drive another Jacked up 4X4 (to scare off other A-H drivers) but is content in driving

a little AWD Zuk which is Quit Peepie for her driving needs..

396466_2993662732199_1774300451_n.jpg?oh

Soo, Long story short.

A Girls car is what ever they want to drive or what ever is bought for them..

Same as any man..

Original mustang was intended to capture the 'secretary' market. nowadays any underpowered 4wd seem to be the 'mom-mobile'.you know, those ones that are hard to park and easy to topple when in trouble.

Your right!

That is until Shelby got a hold of one... ;)

Workin' on buying my 4th new pony since 1988.. :rolleyes:

Technically, you have to get a look at the title. If the owner's name is something like Jezebel, Delilah or Jennifer, then chances are it's a girl's car. Or you can check out the rear shelf for the stuffed animal collection.

You can label the Miata a girl's car, but it would reveal your complete lack of appreciation and understanding of automotive history and great design. Ever notice that nearly every car magazine list of "great" cars includes the Miata? It has the standard stuff: 4 whl independent susp, Coilovers, 4 whl disc brakes, rear wheel drive, rack and pinion, double overhead cam, 4 valve hemi head, fuel injection. It'll cruise all day at 90 with one finger on the wheel without beating you up. Cruise one up the Coast Hwy on a typical SoCal day and tell me you didn't have a good experience.

My Dad was one of those Vets who came back from WWII with an affinity for the British Sports Car. I grew up in a few MGAs, I was too young for his T series phase. The Miata strikes me as the logical evolution of those. After driving mine the Sergeant said "If MG could have done this in the 50s, they could have taken over the world".

Mom usually had Impalas, by the way.

Before I found mine, I would poll owners in parking lots. In my experience most cars elicited some praise of an attribute (It's nice, It's got a lot of power, it's something). The first response by Every Miata owner, regardless of gender, was "I love this car".

My vicious 1994 WereMiata reflected in the blood red door of my 2012 Camaro. This was easier than decorating for Haloween

fb595a75-74ab-4130-88bb-ece589bdaa07.jpg

I'll see your 'Burban and raise you one series of "S" curves.

Edited by samdiego

a womans "vehicle" is most likely one that there are so many objects an doo hickey thinga ma jigs that operate most of tthe vehicles systems..... by buttons........ I would say ones with "auto" wipers aka "Rain sensor" but there are many vehicles now that that is standard features especially bmw/ mercedes so that kinda offsets the argument

i never understood why Ford needs to put those rain sensors on their "platinum" trucks thats the only f 1-50 that as that feature

• 3 weeks later...

Not really sure if this qualifies it a as a girls car globaly but I guy I know was buying cars with faults and fixing them up and selling them with a little profit some years ago.

When he bought, fixed and tried to sell a Mercedes SLK the only calls he got was from female laywers and it was sold to a woman that was working as a laywer in the end aswell. The car he did up before the SLK was an Audi TT and on that one he got calls from guys only.

So, is the SLK a girly car?

So, this "youth" market (the one the Mustang was actually designed to appeal to) was made up entierly of secretaries? Seems like every automotive historian who's ever written about the Mustang forgot that little detail...

kattwilliams.jpg

The best part of this Chuck , The Camaro was built to take sales away from the Mustang . So it too must be a girls car. The Chevy guys seem to forget the facts sometimes. LOL

I think Tanker Girl went with the lost files .. and, BTW, there was a girl always getting coffee where I did who drove a HumVee .. not a girlie H2 .. the original .. it took two parking spaces it was so wide!

girlstankpic_154_clean_790_zps75f42c73.j

Edited by Foxer

I'd have to do some research, but I thought the Texan was only available in Texas. And not nation wide like the La Femme. I could be wrong about that. Need to do more research on that. I just pull Thomas McPhersons's book, The Dodge Story. And it is not clear at a first glance using that book, if the Texan was available nation wide or not.

Scott

The Texan was a Texas-only package from what I remember reading, and the Texas Women's Historical Society or some such biddy brigade killed it, citing a law that forbade the Texas flag and other references from being used for commercial purposes.

Charlie Larkin