Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Models '59 Dodge & Chrysler Turbine Car.

W-409

On 11/5/2014 at 12:20 AM, Aaronw said:

I normally wouldn't be too disappointed in a curbside kit of something weird like the turbine car, but this kit loses a lot of its appeal without the turbine engine. That is kind of what makes it special.

I agree, and I doubt it even makes financial sense to pursue a reissue of the Turbine Car promo. Are there really 5,000 people who will pay $25-$30 for something like this?:

JOHANTurbineLast.thumb.jpg.4a81170ddd6d3eabf5d0d0003329cbac.jpg

5a91fb9d5e417_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.d0e1a27b912c2ea6cab4ab94b3f23b9f.jpg

Okey Spaulding couldn't keep it afloat, IMC (Illinois Model Company) couldn't fire it up again, and after 4 years I'm pretty sure Moebius gave up on it too.

Everything Jo-Han is contaminated, it's a hornets nest, a can of worms, think John Handley cast a spell on his legacy, just before he traded the temporary for the eternal. 

My 2 cents, if you want anything Jo-Han, prepare to spend some serous cash to buy a kit on the secondary market....

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Okey Spaulding couldn't keep it afloat, IMC (Illinois Model Company) couldn't fire it up again, and after 4 years I'm pretty sure Moebius gave up on it too.

Everything Jo-Han is contaminated, it's a hornets nest, a can of worms, think John Handley cast a spell on his legacy, just before he traded the temporary for the eternal. 

My 2 cents, if you want anything Jo-Han, prepare to spend some serous cash to buy a kit on the secondary market....

I agree. I think you've nailed it. As much as I'd like to JoHan's models come back, I really doubt it's going to happen. Such a shame. 

13 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The guy's name was John Handley?

14 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I agree too.

The likelihood of ever seeing any of the old Johan kits come back are probably slim to none.

You're much more likely to see some of the old AMT or MPC kits return, & the odds of ever seeing most of them again are pretty slim.

I've been lucky enough over the past few years to pick up most of the old kits that I really wanted before they get to the point where they are financially out of reach for me.

They're definitely not going to get any easier to find, so if you're looking, you might want to take that leap soon.

Steve

3 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Just to make it clear Moebius Models has abandoned the 59 Dodge, Chrysler Turbine, and Rambler Wagon projects now and for the foreseeable future. 

These projects have been dead for over 2 years, and there is no sign that they will be revived any time soon!

Thanks,

Dave

That's two bad, but if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

Thankfully, I managed to grab one of the full detail Turbine kits from Okey, and I got a few V-16 Cadillacs from eBay when you they were still practically giving them away.

4 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Just to make it clear Moebius Models has abandoned the 59 Dodge, Chrysler Turbine, and Rambler Wagon projects now and for the foreseeable future. 

These projects have been dead for over 2 years, and there is no sign that they will be revived any time soon!

Thanks,

Dave

Dang, guess it was a good thing I picked up the Turbine Car snap kit and promo Rambler Wagon yesterday. Wanted the '59 Dodge he had, but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the $95 price he was asking for it.