Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto Transporter Trailer By Revell

Mr mopar

We still have a few, but they're going fast.

http://www.megahobby.com/autotransporttrailer25revell.aspx

I wouldn't be surprised if they only did one batch and when they're gone they discontinue it, but I haven't seen anything official from Revell saying they're discontinued yet.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Tower just resurrected an old listing for it and forgot to change the old status. I do stuff like that as part of my job at Mega

Edited by Brett Barrow

That's just not right. They should've done at least a 8 month release, not a month. That's a bit ridiculous.

It seems the plastic model companies have taken a page for the model railroad manufactures. The model train companies have been doing this for years.

They announce a product and accept orders. As long as the minimum number are pre-ordered the item is manufactured...... but often a few less than ordered. Each dealers order gets cut by a few and the demand is higher than supply. This way the manufacture has ZERO cost of warehousing product, no blow outs or sales to liquidators, and it creates a demand for all future products. In this world of 'just in time' manufacturing with no warehousing or storage and no back stock.....profits are higher.

I can not say this is what is happening in our hobby....but it is working for the manufactures in the model train hobby.....so it makes sense. Welcome to the future!!!

It never hurts to preorder items you want from your favorite retailer.

Pre-orders are the only way to get NEW product now in the model train hobby. I don't like the way it has changed the hobby....but fear it's where we are headed.

I have gone exclusively to the secondary (used) market for my trains.

Edited by Dave Van

I think (and this is just my opinion) that Revell priced it too low and they're selling tons but not making any money. Heck, we lost money on a couple large orders of these that cost a lot to ship (we charge a flat-rate $8.95 with free shipping over $200). They missed the boat with the price - it was too low. Should have been a $60 kit, not $40. I would expect to see it come back later at a higher price.

I think (and this is just my opinion) that Revell priced it too low and they're selling tons but not making any money. Heck, we lost money on a couple large orders of these that cost a lot to ship (we charge a flat-rate $8.95 with free shipping over $200). They missed the boat with the price - it was too low. Should have been a $60 kit, not $40. I would expect to see it come back later at a higher price.

Your probably right. I better get on the ball and buy a couple before the price starts to climb into the collectors area.

$60? For what exactly? It's not like it's a licensed copy of an actual trailer. Moebius' NEW tool trailer didn't cost that much, and that's MORE than I paid for the Mitsubishi Car Hauler from Fujimi that has a TRACTOR INCLUDED!

These things are a couple bucks per kit to make, and a couple of bucks per kit for box art and shipping them over from Poland. Even at the wholesale level they had to be pulling in $10 per kit and sold the entire run at a month. Sounds like they printed money, not lost it to me.

Edited by niteowl7710

$60? For what exactly? It's not like it's a licensed copy of an actual trailer. Moebius' NEW tool trailer didn't cost that much, and that's MORE than I paid for the Mitsubishi Car Hauler from Fujimi that has a TRACTOR INCLUDED!

These things are a couple bucks per kit to make, and a couple of bucks per kit for box art and shipping them over from Poland. Even at the wholesale level they had to be pulling in $10 per kit and sold the entire run at a month. Sounds like they printed money, not lost it to me.

Not to challenge your perception, but is this actual data? When I interviewed the various manufacturers a few years ago, the markup to suggested retail was around 50%. There would be a small profit built into the wholesale price.

• 1 year later...