Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Forum - expert work expected?

I've seen a few builders come on here and get a little huffy about honest critiques of their work. I've also seen some of these same people after stoping to take a breath start to see that they are not being attacked, take the information provided and really start to improve. With that improvement came more willingness to accept critical comment.

I've spent the time to read all seven pages of this thread. No, I don't think this board is any more snobby than any other board, or any face to face model club. Like any other venue it takes some time to find your place. When you are brand new, you won't get much response to your posts until you have spent a bit of time, gotten familiar with the general vibe and have started some relationships with the folks here.

I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to be a model car missionary. I will not sit at a table in the mall hoping to drag the general public into this hobby. I won't jump on a newbie and try to get them to drink my specific Kool-Aid. At the same time, I will welcome, embrace and encourage anyone who shows an interest in joining our aging herd. I will go far out of my way to answer questions, share techniques and even send people the parts they need free of charge. That's just paying back the hobby for those who helped me when I asked.

I won't be pushing anyone to build better models unless they want encouragement. I know guys for 30 years who are content simply spraying Walmart paint right onto bare plastic and gluing the kit together quickly. So be it. I understand this because it's not in my desires to build a GSL Best of Show model. I'm happy getting the idea in my head into plastic, and am pleased to have learned the skills to do so. But there are things I just don't want to learn such as running a lathe or becoming an airbrush expert. It just doesn't appeal to me, so I must appear to the top dogs, as my Walmart paint friend appears to me!

I've spent the time to read all seven pages of this thread. No, I don't think this board is any more snobby than any other board, or any face to face model club. Like any other venue it takes some time to find your place. When you are brand new, you won't get much response to your posts until you have spent a bit of time, gotten familiar with the general vibe and have started some relationships with the folks here.

I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to be a model car missionary. I will not sit at a table in the mall hoping to drag the general public into this hobby. I won't jump on a newbie and try to get them to drink my specific Kool-Aid. At the same time, I will welcome, embrace and encourage anyone who shows an interest in joining our aging herd. I will go far out of my way to answer questions, share techniques and even send people the parts they need free of charge. That's just paying back the hobby for those who helped me when I asked.

I won't be pushing anyone to build better models unless they want encouragement. I know guys for 30 years who are content simply spraying Walmart paint right onto bare plastic and gluing the kit together quickly. So be it. I understand this because it's not in my desires to build a GSL Best of Show model. I'm happy getting the idea in my head into plastic, and am pleased to have learned the skills to do so. But there are things I just don't want to learn such as running a lathe or becoming an airbrush expert. It just doesn't appeal to me, so I must appear to the top dogs, as my Walmart paint friend appears to me!

Tom you nailed it. This is the philosophy we should have. A forum is for sharing ideas and information and nothing more.

I think that's the beauty and allure of hobbies: you can focus where your interest lies.

model railroading (more so that cars because it's kinetic) has of a variety of disciplines. the guy who can build a brass locomotive at the kitchen table with a file and hammer may be content to run it 'round in circles on a tinplate track.

I like a steak once in a while, but don't want to know all of the parts of a cow.

Edited by southpier

Must be why I like you, Tom .. those are MY words to a T!

Tom you nailed it. This is the philosophy we should have. A forum is for sharing ideas and information and nothing more.

X2 I agree 100%. I build!! Do I build contest quality cars? NO!!! Do I make mistakes and get frustrated? YES!!!

I enjoy this forum for the inspiration,tips,tricks,and it will hopefully make me a better builder.

I enjoy the quality of my cars and love looking at them.I am not a perfect person,so,I do not criticize anyone's builds.

Every time the subject of participation in the art form comes up, it results in the same discussion. The reason is simple. We are hardwired to believe that we are average and everyone is very similar to us.(Well, not quite. Each of us believes we are a little better. :lol:) When we share a single area of interest, this belief becomes stronger. We assume that the more we share the closer we are to being the same. The fact is, we are not the same. We are not even close to the same. Kind of like those who share a love of football, but are rabid fans of different teams. This forum is a group joined and separated by a like of model building first, then a like of automotive subject, the specific types of autos, then a different level of intensity about those autos and finally a different intensity about building models of those autos.

All the discussions here are about individuals trying to make connections with others with a similar level of passion about very specific niches in this wide field of automotive model building. Throw in very different opinions created by a massive amount of life experiences, personal values, financial situations and outlooks in general and we are guaranteed to have issues. If we all treat other members with this in mind and communicate with other as if they are the complete strangers that they are and not assume that everyone is a long lost friend that you can say anything you like to, then things will go smoothly.

We do not have the face to face contact here so that we can read the nuance of voice inflection, facial expression and body language the we take for granted in our day to day contact. Because we loose this part of interaction when writing, tactful communication in the written form is a challenge that is mastered by few. Keep this in mind when both reading and writing and this will be a better place.

Personally I think it's a great forum.

I also race radio control Sprint cars, and I'm on the DODC, forums, mainly the Best Of The West site, and it can be a war zone at times. I've been told that the forums aren't the place to put a suggestion for solving a problem, and have been drug through the muck so many times I feel like a mudpie. But I keep telling those people that if they want to see how a forum should work to check out this group, that on the whole it's a good group of people who are generally willing to help each other, not bash on them.

It is a hobby! Well, yes and no. First thing wrong with that assertion is that everyone on this forum is an amateur. This is very wrong. There are a lot of builders on this forum who get paid for their work. Like any situation where money is involved, some produce masterpieces for high end customers. Other build for solid product for a more middle of the road customer and there are those that throw things together for a few bucks. There are also those who build to write about it for pay. All of these people are building to one degree or the other to satisfy another person. Don't assume that everyone is like you. Everyone builds for their own reasons. Those reasons may, but more than likely, will not be the same as your reasons. :huh:

Not sure who this reply is for, but it is no longer a hobby when you are being paid for your work, so that make its a job, just pointing that out.

And you probably should not assume that people think everyone here is like everyone else ;)