Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Forum - expert work expected?

Just like any other board you'll always have those arrogent internet clowns that think they are better then everyone else and have to use every opertunity to prove it. But sadly in real life they are nobodies without their keyboard. Reminds me of some of those so called "pro" builds you see on ebay for sale. True, some of them really are but most you just laugh and chucle to yourself as you look at it and wonder how in the %^&% they came up with calling themselves pro builders. I don't critisize other peoples builds as I know my work doesn't compare to alot of those on here. I just don't comment at all if I don't like it. I believe if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your friggen pie hole closed. Unless you are dealing with an internet bully then by all means let that clown have it.

I only make positive comments in regards to peoples work. I have never offered criticism in regards to someones ability. You can't read tone, or inflection through a forum post, generally. So to avoid the potential issue, I reserve comments for builds that appeal to me only. Feelings get hurt at the speed of light on the interwebs & 50% of the time boils down to misinterpretation of anothers words. Of course the other 50% unfortunately are people with nothing better to do with their time except for being jackasses ..

I only make positive comments in regards to peoples work. I have never offered criticism in regards to someones ability. You can't read tone, or inflection through a forum post, generally. So to avoid the potential issue, I reserve comments for builds that appeal to me only. Feelings get hurt at the speed of light on the interwebs & 50% of the time boils down to misinterpretation of anothers words. Of course the other 50% unfortunately are people with nothing better to do with their time except for being jackasses ..

I agree with Dan 100% on this. Well said.

so...the following would be a "positive" statement...?

"I really like how you have attached the disc brakes to the outer side of the wheels, it brings a whole new aspect to the mechanical functions of the braking system."

I realize that many people "build for fun" but maybe the person that you "fail to educate" with information about how cars work in real life may not receive the one bit of data that sets them on the course to be the next Carroll Shelby.

Here is a little reminder, the title of the forum is "Model Cars Magazine Forum", anyone care to discuss what the term "model car" means to them. I usually think a model car is a representation of a 1:1 vehicle with most of the 1:1 vehicles needing to be operable and sometimes roadworthy.

I don't attack builders but I DO make suggestions/comments on things that could be done, that are more in line with real vehicles. If it's a subject I don't appreciate, I move on without feeling the need to say "I don't really like that thing.".

The problem as I see it is that evrrybody here assumes everyone that joins this forum wants to improve their skills.

Why do we feel it is so necessary to educate them.

If somebody doesn't ask for an accessment then either make no comment or focus on some positive aspect of the model being shown.

its totally diferent when somebody requests postive or negative feedback. One still needs to tactful in their comments but by all means give them an honest acessment.

In the long run this will avoid hurting peoples feelings.

A forum is for sharing ideas and information but not imposing your way of doing things.

Nope, not playing this game anymore.

why bother to post in the forum if you don't want feedback, just put your pictures up in fotki and motor on.

got nothing more to say in this thread.

Edited by blunc

Guess its obvious why this site has an elitist attitude reputation which prompted this thread in the first place.

oh darn, ya brought out the five year-old in me...

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!!!!!

neener, neener...

now I'm really done in this thread, buh-bye

so...the following would be a "positive" statement...?

"I really like how you have attached the disc brakes to the outer side of the wheels, it brings a whole new aspect to the mechanical functions of the braking system."

I realize that many people "build for fun" but maybe the person that you "fail to educate" with information about how cars work in real life may not receive the one bit of data that sets them on the course to be the next Carroll Shelby.

Here is a little reminder, the title of the forum is "Model Cars Magazine Forum", anyone care to discuss what the term "model car" means to them. I usually think a model car is a representation of a 1:1 vehicle with most of the 1:1 vehicles needing to be operable and sometimes roadworthy.

I don't attack builders but I DO make suggestions/comments on things that could be done, that are more in line with real vehicles. If it's a subject I don't appreciate, I move on without feeling the need to say "I don't really like that thing.".

....and here's the elitist attitude this place is famous for. could you possibly be more condescending ? Jeeeezzzz

this is what bothers me about this hobby & why I don't really associate with many people involved in the hobby.. the snarky, smarmy, anal-retentive attitudes really grind my gears.

why bother to post in the forum if you don't want feedback, just put your pictures up in fotki and motor on.

Yes feedback, advice and tips are a good thing.

But im sure some people just post their builds for a place to share with others who enjoy the same hobby.

As it can be an isolated hobby for some.

This has popped up in two threads in the last two days that I'm involved in, and when I try to get my club members involved here, they wrinkle their nose and say things like "No, they are all elite/expert/pro/stuck up jerk builders who have ignored or bashed my work in the past". Or people seem to think that their work is not up to snuff for this forum. We've got a bad rep guys.

Don't get me wrong we have a lot of fantastic builders here, but how has this reputation gotten so bad?

I don't want to turn this into thread #1,462 on the subject of critique, but is it really that bad here?

And how can we fix it? I'd really like to hear from some of the new guys on this.

Or do we even care about the reputation?

blunc nobody is calling you names.

Here is the original post which states that this site has the reputation of being elitist. Obviously there are those who have different expectations of what a forum experience should be. There is a contingent that says we should give positive or negative feedback at all times. Despite good intentions this action is going to alienate those who are not expecting that response and thereby give the site a bad reputation. We can ignore them with statement that this is a public forum and positive and negative feedback should be expected. However we can also expect the elitist label. If we want to avoid the label then we need to change the way things are are done.

at the risk of sounding argumentative, labeling a forum as elitist sounds like name calling to me.

I personally have not observed what I perceive to be "elitist" behavior but then I don't cruise through all of the threads here and it seems that I joined the forum after a previous bout of member drama.

Since I don't know or have access to Jantrix' club members I have no good way to address their issues (whether they were ignored or mistreated).

This forum actually still has more drama than the computer forum I frequent (and they DO have a few elitists) but all of the elitists there will still help anyone that asks for help (unless someone starts calling them "elitist").

I guess the point I am trying to make is that this forum will still attract new members because there will always be someone interested in seeing other builders work in order to get ideas or learn how some aspect was accomplished. The flip side of that is that there will always be someone who feels mistreated or persecuted no matter how tactfully they are treated.

This thread was a powder keg to start with but we don't actually have to blow up.

Edited by blunc

If somebody doesn't ask for an accessment then either make no comment

I want to chime in on this thought. Don't do this. More than the criticism issue, to have your work ignored or have no comments either way is 10x worse than a critique. More than anything it fosters the elitist reputation, because people leave thinking, "I guess my work wasn't worthy of their time or effort". That's the comment I got more than any from my club members. The "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" mantra that many use, is a huge confidence crusher.

Jantrix isn'ta club he is a member here.

He was referring to my model club members that I mentioned in my original post.

Jantrix you only took half my comment I said make no comment or point out a positive aspect of thev model

yes making a comment is preferred but shouldn't be mandatory

I will repeat it again if we all reserve constructive criticism to those that want it everybody should be happy

This is a hobby and shkuld be a fun and enjoyable experience nothing bad is going to happen if a model is not perfect

Finally I'm done commenting on this I've made my case for how the bad reputation can be fixed and have no desire to spend more time on it

One can either agree or disaggree with me

Plowboy hit the nail on the head!

I have to agree. Expecting everyone on the forum to tailor their responses so as to give no offense to modelers who come here expecting unearned, unconditional praise smacks of "political-correctness" and is not at all productive.

If you DO choose to respond, make your comments in keeping with the Golden Rule...ask yourself "how would I like to be treated in this situation", and behave accordingly towards others.

But remember...even the most polite, thoughtful and well-intentioned "constructive criticism" will STILL ruffle the feathers of the most thin-skinned. No matter WHAT you do, or HOW you behave, SOMEBODY will always find something to feel offended about.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have to agree. Expecting everyone on the forum to tailor their responses so as to give no offense to modelers who come here expecting unearned, unconditional praise smacks of "political-correctness" and is not at all productive.

If you DO choose to respond, make your comments in keeping with the Golden Rule...ask yourself "how would I like to be treated in this situation", and behave accordingly towards others.

But remember...even the most polite, thoughtful and well-intentioned "constructive criticism" will STILL ruffle the feathers of the most thin-skinned. No matter WHAT you do, or HOW you behave, SOMEBODY will always find something to feel offended about.

Our DI's in boot camp told us, there is always the "10%" that ruins it for everyone else ....This has proven true in every aspect of my life, including this forum..