Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Forum - expert work expected?

I guess its all about perception and how one interpret's the forum to form their own opinion/view of it through interactions they have.

All in all this is a great forum to view and participate on, but like anywhere in life there are always the same usual suspects.Just have to accept the fact that they think,act and view things different.

I could say more but its just my opinion and more than likely it would be wrong.

Agree Luke ;)

I am a relative newcomer to this site and am very impressed although I am probably one of the worst builders on here the encouragement has always being very positive. I believe that the forum should stay the way it is I am on a diecast forum and it is quite acidic between members sometimes

I have heard that and other similar opinions and comments about MCM more times than I can count. Another common and repeated observation is how a lot of guys do not care for the drama or the moderation here.

Thanks for chiming in Mark. I was starting to think I was the only one who has seen this response from people. Great input folks.

The very reason you visit a forum site such as MCM or purchase a model car magazine is to see great builds. Who wants to spend time looking at poorly executed builds or worse bad pictures of any skill level build. A good build worthy of comments does not have to be a super detailed, all out assault, boundary breaking effort. A well constructed build of any detail level will elicit comments.

I would recommend the following:

1. Please provide a topic description that lets us know what you are posting. I myself often pass over posts with titles such as “My latest build” or “Build number xx of 2014”. I would suspect others do too.
  2. Don’t expect many comments from posting such as “Quickie build _____”
  3. Think about the postings you like to view and comment on. Ones where the poster has taken the time to describe what they are doing and how they did it. They also made the effort to provide good pictures. Not blurry sideways cell phone snap shots. If you want to receive comments then make the effort to give the viewer a reason to comment.
  4. And finally if you are just beginning or feel your skill level is not where you would like it to be mention this in your post. This gives everyone an idea of the skill level the builder. They can then make a fair assessment of your efforts and provide, if they wish, relevant comments or suggestions as to how you might improve your next build.
Edited by afx

The very reason you visit a forum site such as MCM or purchase a model car magazine is to see great builds. Who wants to spend time looking at poorly executed builds or worse bad pictures of any skill level build. A good build worthy of comments does not have to be a super detailed, all out assault, boundary breaking effort. A well constructed build of any detail level will elicit comments.

1. Please provide a topic description that lets us know what you are posting. I myself often past over postings with titles such as “My latest build” or “Build number xx of 2014”. I would suspect others do too.
  3. Think about the postings you like to view and comment on. Ones where the poster has taken the time to describe what they are doing and how they did it. They also made the effort to provide good pictures. Not blurry sideways cell phone snap shots. If you want to receive comments then make the effort to give the viewer a reason to comment.
  4. And finally if you are just beginning or feel your skill level is not where you would like it to be mention this in your post. This gives everyone an idea of the skill level the builder. They can then make a fair assessment of your efforts and provide, if they wish, relevant comments or suggestions as to how you might improve your next build.

Great suggestions!

First off I think Harry's comments are spot on.I like to comment on builds sometimes to give-praise encouragement-and advice.I couldn't be more proud to be a part of this forum.The one thing I can't believe is people who say things like I don't like the wheels or the color etc...Who cares.That is personal, opinion-that's the builders choice. That is not a comment on their work.I've seen builds that ilike better than some just because they thought out of the box and showed "originality and took a chance at something different".I will never -ever enter a contest because I love building not competing.We have a great forum and let's appreciate it.I.ve traded and met some great people on this site and have made a couple great friendships here.Sure there are a few people in every walk of life who think they're better than everybody else-who cares.

Peace out and have a great day guys-"build on"

I love this place! My day usually starts with checking email and then I come to the MCM forum. EVERYDAY!! I like looking at builds you folks post and try to make positive comments. Sure, I've received negative input on my builds, but I try to learn from that negativity for future builds.

I've been building model car/trucks since 1958 and have been a member here for about 5 years. Thanks to this wonderful forum, my model building has improved tremendously. That's not my opinion, but the opinion of fellow modelers.

Most afternoons are spent in my shop building models. It's my hobby and I'm having fun.

Love live the MCM forum.

1. Please provide a topic description that lets us know what you are posting. I myself often pass over posts with titles such as “My latest build” or “Build number xx of 2014”. I would suspect others do too.

A model magazine is one thing- one should expect to see quality builds, one is paying for the magazine and expects to see good stuff, built by what many consider to be "pros" (yes, some do get paid for building). A free, on-line forum is another thing. People also come here to learn, not just strut their stuff. Some people here have said that attention to faults is necessary for people to build better models. Ergo, we shouldn't expect to see perfection in every post by every modeler. Else, how can "we" expect other modelers to build better, if they don't post what some people think are builds of a poor quality or those whose pictures are not up to snuff? That's the kind of snobbery that others here are concerned about. EVERY FRIGGING MODELER has the basic privilege of posting here, and should be able to get considerate, constructive criticism when he or she requests opinions. To paraphrase Art: Think of how you would want to be informed of your model's shortcomings.

It's one thing to state a fact like, "your front wheel is a little crooked". Quite another, and I've seen this one many times here and elsewhere, " I don't like the big clown wheels. But, everything else looks nice." :rolleyes: I don't like factory stock myself. But, when I see a really nice one, I'll comment on it. But, it won't be, "I don't like the boring lame stock wheels and tires. But, everything else looks nice." If it's a fact, express it tactfully. If it's an opinion, keep it to yourself because nobody cares about what you don't like.

At one time, Rob's friend's statements rang true about this forum. Those that were here during that time will remember. It seemed like the nicer the model was, the more it got picked apart. If one person made a negative comment, a dog pile ensued. It got completely out of hand. A lot of good people/builders left because of it. Thankfully, a lot of the trouble makers did too. But, this forum still doesn't have the same vibe and feel it did in the beginning to me. I guess it never will.

Great suggestions!

Yes, they are great suggestions, but there are even some like I described in my earlier post that get all huffy if you offer suggestions that they offer better descriptions (especially in "Wanted" or "For Trade" posts) instead of descriptions like JC brought to light.

A little of my two cents on the photos, too, it's not always the fact of the camera VS. cell phone producing the blurry pictures, but the person behind the camera either not caring or not knowing how to properly use the device, or possibly not being able to hold the camera steady for every single shot. I know for sure that I can't, I shake every now and then, and some of my pics turn out blurry, but I check the image and retake it if I have shook BEFORE posting it to Photobucket and then here. I don't buy the "sorry, it's the phone" or "all I have is my phone for pics" excuses, because the camera I have that I take almost every pic I have ever posted here is a 5 megapixel HP I bought about 10 years ago and guess what, my phone is also a 5 megapixel camera! :o I get photos just as nice from the phone as I do the camera, it's just as other things that require human input, it only works as good as the person operating it! :unsure::huh::blink:

I agree 1000% John that every builder has a right to post on this forum. I never suggested otherwise.

My point is the reason this and other forums attract members is because the viewer expects to see great builds. If MCM only posted average quality box stock builds would you or any other modeler care about this forum? Does that mean unless you are an expert builder you shouldn’t post here – no. I am no professional builder and I have yet to build the perfect model but I post my builds here.

I wanted to offer some suggestions as to how a poster might increase his/her chances of receiving comments. It does take effort to post good pictures and provide content that people want to comment on.

And Matthew I wasn't busting on cell phone cameras I was just using that as an example. Most of the new phones have better cameras than what I am using (a five-year old 10MP Nikon).

I will say two things about photos. Both of the above posters are right about photos. Any camera can take a decent picture given the attention of the operator. It may take more that just snapping a photo but it can be done. Steady the camera. You don't need a tripod(though they are great). Just use something to rest your hands on.

Last and this is my main pet peeve. Why on earth would you post a photo that is blurry and then apologize for it?? :angry: Don't bother wasting the band width. If others can't see it, don't post it. "You can't really see this, but..." Really?? Just because you took a picture doesn't mean you have to post it.

Edited by Pete J.

I have heard those things before.I joined here cause I want to see others work, not to be a judge.and to learn from others.if someone says something I need to work on, that is great, but if someone is throwing stones to throw stones then that is not good. We all should not be like making drama, but be supportive of each other. This is art, we mite not enjoy a subject matter that someone else has done, but that don't mean others don't. I just enjoy there art work....art is fun.

Well said JC, I tend to bypass poor quality pictures regardless how good the kit is made....It doesn't take much to set-up a good photo-booth with quality light and a good camera, not a cell phone.

Agree a good description of the build really helps you appreciate the time and effort put in ;)

Cheers mate

Ray

I take my pics with a good grade digi camera and I have a tripod. But I always take my pics on my bench with so much stuff in the background taking away from the overall build.

My fault? 100% kiddo.... Will it change? When I get space.

No excuses for blurry pics. I'll retake em if I have to. The cell phone and digi both have previews to see if you got it right.

Use it.

Bob

Bob, I take my WIP pictures on my work bench too. I put the subject on a white 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and setup a quick back drop using a white cardboard box. Then I crop the picture to get rid of all the clutter. Works okay for me.

DSCN1371-vi.jpg

DSCN13712-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

Most of the photos I post are taken with my phone, and yes, you can practice and get good with it. If you have the nice photo gear for it, use it, otherwise, the phone should do the trick.

You can take them and delete them until the battery dies! So have at it and practice, practice and practice!

phonepics385_zpse674e0c2.jpg

Bob, I take my finished photos outside on the concrete steps of my front porch. No space necessary! I take my progress photos on a piece of gray or white poster board. I used to set it up on my kitchen table. But, now I have a dedicated spot in my "new" hobby room. It's OK for progress photos. But, I still can't get good photos inside! Especially, when they're compared to my outside photos.

Fink what is up with the Ferdinand/Elephant in the background?Looks pretty cool!

This was a Tamiya display at our local IPMS show. I believe that is new from Tamiya

Nashorn Self Propelled Tank Destroyer

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-35-scale-military-miniature-12000/nashorn-heavy-tank-destroyer-35335

Edited by Daddyfink

Afx suggestions are good. I would like to add another suggestion. The poster needs to indicate if they want constructive criticism. If I see something that should be fixed or taken into consideration for future builds I want to know if the person is receptive to comments.

Personally, and as has already been said, I feel if you post in a public forum, you should be prepared for any and all comments and criticism, good or bad and constructive or not. If your skin is that thin or you just simply can't understand that a constructive critical comment is meant to HELP YOU IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS AND IS NOT BASHING YOUR WORK, then the option is simple, JUST DON'T POST!!! That is one big reason I don't check out much but the general information topics in the Truck section, I got sick and tired of trying to help builders with constructive comments and then either getting bashed by the mob publicly in the forum or nasty PMs telling me my help was not wanted, so I just don't bother with anything in any workbench or under glass thread unless it is MY thread!