Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/10 scratch built Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

prestonlal

Hey guys, not much of an update, but more of a sneak peek of what I'm attempting...:)

Got the E6000 spray glue in last night...works great! Sets up much faster than the gorilla glue and no need for clamps! Applied it with a brush to the foam and leather, pressed it together for about one minute with my fingers and it held on pretty strong! Dried in about 1-2 hours! Sweet!

Picked up some soft sheepskin leather (about 0.8mm thick), also picked up some leather dye, tan for the front and white for the couches and wall panels in the rear!

This is uncharted virgin territory for me, so hoping that there's a lot less 'oh shite!' moments and more 'Hell Yeah!' ones in the next coupla days...lol. :rofl:

Anywho...some pics of the test subjects ... The piece on the right I used the gorilla glue but had to clamp it in order to bond...

image.jpg1_zpsc3bxtapq.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsnspvsegx.jpg

Getting there with the bucket seats.....taking longer than I thought...just need some fine tuning a bit, although I think that the leather is gonna hide most of the imperfections of the foam...I hope...lol!

Will start on the couches tomorrow.....as well as try to figure out the amount of leather required for the buckets. If I could determine that, I will start the dyeing process as well...

Some pics...

C5B43E0D-9E83-40A1-BDD1-C96759E05A83_zps

FE339E7C-BAC7-4456-8F66-CF79A9D75391_zps

9417013C-E58F-45A2-913F-DC867C6AFC06_zps

FEA14235-1FFC-4FC4-91C8-8C5CFFBACB24_zps

F73D10C7-CA0A-4124-A85F-E87F5AB5600D_zps

CFED0141-F947-41A1-A922-BEEA2B3EA14A_zps

Hey guys...this is how I'm doing the patterns ....I'm using gaffers tape (I think that's what it's called. It's kinda low tack so won't damaged the foam). I'm hoping that I can get the leather cut like this and bonded properly to the foam.

Lol...it actually looks pretty good with the tape on the foam...! Notice how it completely hides all the defects or faults in my filing and sanding? Lol....!

image.jpg1_zpsmxn5wrju.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscxl5siqw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsxahky9fm.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsxewyg21o.jpg

Hey guys, the center console is about 90% done now....I tried to build it to scale based on pics, but because the tranny hump is a bit high to accommodate the transmission, the console will be sitting higher than it should. I will probably shave down the bottom of the console so it sits lower...

Anywho, some pics....not sure if the armrest will remain foam or if I will make it styrene ...

image.jpg1_zpsxrmhc8lo.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsyiqx4rfa.jpg

Hey guys, this is as far as I got tonight...taking a lot of time to do each piece as I don't wanna make a mistake that will show....still need to figure out how I'm gonna cover the bottom of the seat portion...may have to do a new pattern for that area...will continue tomorrow as much as I can.....

image.jpg1_zpsptqtyarj.jpg

Small update guys...started working on the rear interior...

Still need to do the wall panels and attempt a roof liner...gonna have to dye the remaining leather in white and hopefully get the seats, wall panel and roof liner covered and matching...lol!

image.jpg1_zpsjdoofaou.jpg

Hey guys...got a small update...!

Got the magnets installed for the wall panels...turned out a lot easier than I anticipated...! I lucked out with the magnets fitting in one of the extra tubing that I picked up for the dash...so encasing these tiny magnets in styrene turned out pretty easy...

Once I dialed in where the wall panels should go, I realized that the wall panels will also support the headliner, so no need to install magnets in the headliner!

So tomorrow I will start making the patterns for the seats, wall panels and headliner, then start looking at cutting and dyeing the leather....

Some pics....

image.jpg1_zpsg74pj0mp.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsksbpaxqz.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsnosllvgx.jpg

Look ma! No hands!! :rofl:

image.jpg4_zpsibb1lh0i.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsgi1aowpp.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsyu2iwqi3.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsohd8qlkw.jpg

image.jpg8_zpscdnp5e8c.jpg

Hey guys...another small update...kinda...lol!

Got the patterns made up and drawn out on the reverse side of the leather. Cut out the pieces, so now I have a whole stack of leather to dye tomorrow!

Also glued some pieces of styrene sheeting to the underside and rear of the seats. I find it easier to glue one end of the leather to the styrene first with a few drops of the super glue, as it bonds firmly in under 20 seconds, then I use the E6000 to bond the leather to the foam. Doing it this way I can pull pretty tightly on the leather when applying the E6000 without it coming free. This way I can get the contours of the foam without any sagging...lol!

Anywho, some pics....hopefully I can get a nice even shade of the white when dyeing it tomorrow!!

image.jpg1_zpsvudvjqbr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsbe5vxznw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsrv54bgai.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsii288hzw.jpg

image.jpg5_zpshhqhpc1d.jpg

Hey guys...got the leather dyed....! ^_^.

That's just the raw dye on the leather....its dried out now, so I just applied the carnuba treatment to seal in the dye so tomorrow morning I will give it a buffing then take a couple more pics before I head in to work...

It came out pretty good I think...a few slight blemishes that I think will only show up with a very bright light, maybe....lol! If you compare it to the flooring next to the pieces, I think it looks passable...! Tomorrow night I will try to start covering the seats and the panels....

Anywho ....here's a pic of it before I applied the carnuba treatment...

image.jpg1_zpsyllb3cc8.jpg

Hey guys...:update: ... Lol!

Got the seats covered...as well as the wall panels and the headliner...! :blink:

Still need to do some detailing on the seats where you see the cuts in the corners, gonna try to run some piping there to cover those areas...:thinking:

Nothing has been permanently attached as yet, it's all mocked up for now..

Anywho...some pics....finally...! Lol

image.jpg1_zps7ytpoupi.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsr688bb14.jpg

image.jpg3_zps4rdhhiv8.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsstmcmxys.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsgglbxbbo.jpg