Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

This is in (lengthy) response to Charlie Larkin's post above, so please skip this post if the subject matter doesn't interest you.
Trust me, I'd much rather I hadn't gotten beaten to one of the three lousy Del Rios my local pusher got in, so I could get some photos and a brief analysis up here. But that ain't the way it worked out, and unfortunately, what follows is topical to the tenor of this thread, if not the title.
Your fairness and balance are so admirable, Charlie. And I'd dearly love to keep it classy. That's going to be difficult, though, as long as the challenges faced by current kit manufacturers are exploited for such a corrupt purpose as what we've seen here earlier.
Where that litany has constructive use is as Tim intended in the Model A thread – a counterpoint to the “no excuse in this day and age” angle. I personally found the mutations wrought on that poor Moebius Ranger/F100 from tooling mockup to test shot very elucidating, for example. In the end, some folks like Bill E aren't convinced by that rationale and they tell you why. By your standards, Charlie, you might suppose a civil rejoinder or two in this situation, maybe, and then leave it to readers following along to draw their own conclusions.
But no. One rebuttal after another dredges that hackneyed “perfect kit” angle, no matter how Bill tries to preface against it, no matter how blue in the face he gets explaining that a “perfect kit” has nothing to do with what he’s talking about – an understandable tactic, because it’s only by insisting he wants a perfect kit that anyone can fake any traction with a rebuttal. You’ve got to sell that demand for a perfect kit even if there's nothing to support it, because only then can you come back around with claims of “overdemanding” from domestic manufacturers.
And Bill's patience frays quite understandably when he’s gotta explain for legitimately what, the tenth time? The fifteenth? that he’s not asking for a perfect model. And then his opponents resort to the very basest gaslighting once they've worked him up.
But even when he's provoked by such silly extremes, and then made out to be the agitator by pretending there's nothing to provoke him, I’m a little hard-pressed to see where Bill resorts to the classic bullying tactic of calling names.
Where cataloguing a manufacturer's difficulties can start to seem a little quixotic – rather like boxing at air or an actual charge at a windmill – is in deploying such a narrative at a thread where nearly all participants have claimed an intent to buy the kit regardless of its problems. In the ’31 thread we actually had someone jumping the gun to such an extent he had to be reminded that nobody said they weren’t going to buy the kit. And for all the fur flying in this thread, most have stated a similar interest in the Del Rio.
Sure, you got that steady, “no excuse” drumbeat, but most of the time, the drummers still make it clear they'll take the kit even as-is. So what is that litany really responding to in such a context? What makes it essential to the discussion? Maybe Revell has occasionally fallen all over itself to delay a release at the urging of an online thread, but again, in light of what’s made it to production before, it’s far from obvious just when they've done that.
But where wielding those tales of manufacturer woes gets downright abusive is as a carte-blanche justification for attacking anyone who calls out problems in kits. I'm sorry, but as both sides scramble for moral superiority, it’s the critics who actually have the more solid ground. For trying to communicate issues about a model that are on-topic for the discussion, they have their building credentials mocked, they get called names, they get cartoonish, nefarious motives ascribed to their behavior; they are WRONGED. OBJECTIVELY.
The “injuries” and "damage to the hobby" motivating Self-Appointed-Defenders are so far largely speculative and imaginary in nature. Perhaps they’re fueled by interaction with frustrated executives pulling their hair out over what’s lost literally in translation from one product development stage to the next, or over a competitor getting exclusive access to CAD on a hot subject; and perhaps they’re fueled by executives who have a tantrum about any review that doesn’t amount to free advertising.
But until somebody shows us statistical documentation – hell, scratch that; till somebody shows us even a shaky correlation between negative online threads and revenues lost on a given subject, the basis for a S-A-D attack is all theoretical. The Kit That Must Not Be Named, perhaps? Chugging into its third catalogue year so far, or about as long as the far more favorably reviewed Offy Midget kit managed to last in Revell's catalogue listings, for whatever that may mean in the overall sales scheme of things.
Critics: objective self-defense in the name of free discussion about car models, at least at the start of most exchanges. Their “bullying” is basically the sum total of what they don’t allow the other side to get away with. Overbearing at times, but easily outmatched by the
S-A-Ds: personal attacks and broadsides, in the name of stifling free discussion about car models, based on a premise that’s hardly even demonstrated, let alone proven. With a reliably healthy dollop of gaslighting besides.
THAT would be where any fair analysis dictates it’s really “over and done with”. There's no reason to tolerate that behavior and some of us just aren't gonna do it.
But y'know, Charlie, while we all slog it out, I'd hope you won't tire of reminding us how things should be. Seriously. No irony intended here.
Maybe we'll all wise up, eventually.
Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Thank You for posting the pics.

I see now that a Super Charged Wagon build is in my future.

I'll be getting one of these to join my three sedans.

Super charged wagon will be sweet!

Supercharger option! Woo Hoo. I am gonna get one of these probably. If I can fix the rear quarters fairly easy an figure the front bumper issue, I may get another. Surely (sadly too) will not be as many as the stash of Fairlane 500's I have

I hope nobody attacks me, but I think I am going to build one as a Country Sedan and the other as a Ranchero. Looks like a slam dunk to convert the Rio to them.

Great idea Bob, but Ill put money on it that Revell will pop a Ranchero from this tooling one day.......

I hope nobody attacks me, but I think I am going to build one as a Country Sedan and the other as a Ranchero. Looks like a slam dunk to convert the Rio to them.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

:lol:

THANKS FOR POSTING THE DECALS AND SPRUE SHOTS GUYS.

G

and Morgan Automotive Detail has the Custom 4 door sedan trans kit!

I think Revell still has a few things up their sleeve... it's a near given that we'll see a Ranchero.

If I was in charge, I'd do a couple different '58s. I think it would really surprise the community if the next release was a 1958 Ranchero.

and Morgan Automotive Detail has the Custom 4 door sedan trans kit!

I think Revell still has a few things up their sleeve... it's a near given that we'll see a Ranchero.

If I was in charge, I'd do a couple different '58s. I think it would really surprise the community if the next release was a 1958 Ranchero.

And yet he's aginst wagon models. and want's what amounts to a wagon with the back half of the roof cut off?

Great idea Bob, but Ill put money on it that Revell will pop a Ranchero from this tooling one day.......

That would be a nice way to bring this kit full circle, from Ford Custom to Del Rio to Ranchero. I would definitely get one of those.