Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mazda MX-5 Eunos Roadster

LuBu

Something more simple this time around to build some experience. This is going to be a bog standard build (I hope) with just the addition of some metal emblems for the body. Like most of the others it's going to be red too! ;) Currently I have all the parts off the sprues and ready for primer.

2vmadj4.jpg

33cup05.jpg

zk3lza.jpg

Edited by LuBu

Thank you for your comments guys! :)

So I sanded what I could see needed attention, removed flash etc and sprayed all the parts that needed to be semi gloss black in said colour. I've also managed to paint the rubber parts flat black, the brake discs gun metal and all other silver pieces flat aluminium. Began assembling the driveshaft and front control arms too. Lastly I sanded the body ready for the next primer coat, removing mold lines. Progress sure seems faster on this one, maybe it's less parts, who knows, anyways here are the pictures.

2u8xe6d.jpg

24yu7up.jpg

25qbvqo.jpg

20fcbd4.jpg

I shall have a look at the ride height shortly, nearly got the wheels finished so I'll be able to tell and i'll post a picture. :)

Ok time for some more progress, mostly from last night. First things first I de-chromed the wheels, primed them and sprayed them gloss black. I have some alclad chrome to go on tonight hopefully. The exhaust has been sprayed in alclad aluminium and the underside of the car is now complete bar the addition of the exhaust which I left to dry over night. Lastly I added another primer coat to the body after sanding.

29wohw6.jpg

llhr4.jpg

2d6wa5z.jpg

x6lqj8.jpg

eg9u0j.jpg

2ykkpcp.jpg

hmmm maybe I need to go back and revisit this. and by the way, I know my revells from my tamiyas.

leftfrontfl6.gif

it would be nice if I can get the chassis up in there higher but for some reason I think I tried that and the interior would need sectioning. also those big dumb wheels should have been ashcanned but they kinda match the wheels on my 1:1. and if I remember right I believe I did lower this some by sliding the wheels upwards on their mount point to the suspension arms.

don't mean to hijack your thread but this info might help you on your build. its looking better every post.

by the way I believe this was the kit version (yours I mean, the Eunos) with the hardtop. very nicely done piece too, and fits right on the roadster kit (no surprise, same body).

jb

Edited by jbwelda

That looks ace! What colour did you opt for for the interior? The instructions point towards a dark grey colour so I will likely end up with that.

Sprayed the chrome tonight, not a shiny as I would like so another coat is going on tomorrow see if that makes a difference. The photo looks more shiny than it actually is. Other than that i've added the exhaust which completes the underside. Also got hold of those mazda metal emblems.

vf8f47.jpg

2pqqaet.jpg

120o584.jpg

Small progress since last time. I sprayed another coat of chrome on the wheels. Not too happy with them as the centre piece appears uneven on two of the wheels. I've also had to choose a colour for the dark grey interior. I wanted to replicate the feel of a 90's car interior which to me is a pretty dark grey plastic. I opted for Vallejo German Grey along with semi gloss black stated in the instructions. This should dry matte.

Also I've added the wheels to the car to see how the ride height looks.

k13tcg.jpg

ideoo4.jpg

o7vhxf.jpg

Height looks right to me, if you're doing the car stock. (I'm a Miata owner since 1995.) I'm curious how your seats will turn out--as shown in the pic they have a sheen much like vinyl, which would not be correct for an early Miata. The "black" interior came only with cloth seats, in reality a very dark gray that tends to fade over time with sun exposure.

Hi cortinanut.

Thanks for the tips. I took the interior picture with the paint still wet. I'll have a look what they're like and take a few more photos. It's hard as I've to mix two paints I don't have so just guessing really. I appreciate your advice. Luckily I have plenty of grey shades to test.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by LuBu