Model Cars Magazine Forum

half a dozen 69 camaro's *new pic's 3-8* all 6 complete!

tbill

thanks guys, it's been a learning curve on the whole paint 'thing', but it's getting there :)

made a little more progress, chassis pans are painted,

photo_zps1f78519c.jpg

building big blocks,

photo_zpsf435599b.jpg

painted,

photo_zpsf44bfad4.jpg

and the foundry was busy casting intake manifolds ;)

photo_zpsb6d88d3e.jpg

so at this point, the major assemblies are painted. need to do some sanding and complete painting the tail sections of the other 3 bodies, and drill what seems like 100 spark plug wire holes in the engine heads, but I am getting to the point of being able to start detailing all the sub-assemblies.

going to the Fulton show tomorrow, and hope to find one more of these Camaro kits to round out the 6 pack [all the stores I frequent are out of them], already have the color picked out for the last one, worst case, I will order one on-line.

with any luck, the next few updates will be of some finished sub assemblies. as usual, thanks for looking, and when the cars are done, I will start the auto transporter and chevy titan, and have a cool idea for the titan paint scheme...... B)

Carl, it's Valspar brand, and it's called 'satin leafy rise'. it reminded me of the interior color 'antique jade green' that was in my 71 chevelle. may not be 100% the same, but it's close enough for me :)

I like it. I am always interested in different colors to use..

you'll need to pose these models in a diorama of a chevy dealership!

I have a couple of the generic gas station kits, I may have to step up my skills and incorporate one of those into some sort of diorama by the end of this fiasco, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom nice progress on your 1/2 dozen assembley. As a suggestion on the other part of your project instead of using the Titan you may want to consider using the AITM GMC 9500 it would make it the truck the same year date as the cars and for a cool looking set up. Just an idea.

Tom,

I love the "assembly line" build technique. I did something similar several years back with the snap Crown Vic (was getting many requests from cop friends). I managed to punch out 6 units, with 6 more in various stages of "pre-assembly" (and have been taking up room in my "warehouse" ever since...lol). A find like yours is a perfect match for the hauler project and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole display. I'd say more, but I've got to be heading out to the Ollies right n........

Erik, in real 'vision', you can see the difference in the stripe color versus the tail sections that are painted. I knew it was going to happen, but decided to live with it. over all, it does look ok, I think once all detailed up, it will blend in pretty good.

Dan, you're right, I do think that'd be cool, but i'm set on doing the titan at this point.....just have an idea and gonna run with it....

Bo, thanks man :D

Mike, you had me rolling on the floor with that........score anything good??

ok, some minimal progress, not happy with some of it, as the bmf and some of the proximity of some details got the better of me, but I have 5 more to improve upon [so some of this may get redone eventually]

photo_zps1c13dd89.jpg

photo_zpse24ed594.jpg

photo_zps12d22d75.jpg

again, the interior bits are still 'loose', just trying to get a feel for it all. I used PE speaker grills and PE dash details.

thanks for looking, hope to get more work done this weekend.

thanks, although the more I look at the bmf on the door panels, the less I like my efforts. just isn't as clean as I would like it to be. if the next set comes out better, I will for sure re-do these, if the next set comes out the same, then I will know it's the best I can do.

hope to have time to get some work done this weekend on this project.

thanks for following along.... :)

so I fired up the assembly line this morning and got a lot of unglamorous work done. got all the plug wire holes drilled [do the math, 6 motors = a lot of holes....] I got the heater hose holes drilled in the fire walls and got those painted, drilled a battery cable hole in each of the starters and got those painted, have the drive belt/pulley parts 1/2 painted and have the fans 1/2 painted. also finally got the green car sanded/polished and decaled.

here are a few pic's of todays progress,

photo_zps54a6e07e.jpg

photo_zpsbad5b980.jpg

photo_zps45f445b1.jpg

photo_zps3512ea2b.jpg

with luck, I can get a bunch of little stuff done tomorrow morning, I 'think' I am going to focus on the motors and try to get those wrapped up.

6 at once can get a little overwhelming when having to do everything that many times over at once, but I'll get there :D

thanks guys. did some more unglamorous work today. I got the starters mounted, got the fans painted up, got the accessory drives about done, drilled holes for the heater hoses to go into the intake and water pump, and made and installed the little 'by pass' hoses that go from the water pump to the intake, and finally, I made 6 distributors [ plug wire, part of a paper clip and shrink tube], I do them this way as for the life of me, I cannot drill out the kit supplied ones to get wires in them.....any tips on that would be welcome :D

anyway, doesn't seem like much progress, but with everything multiplied by 6, it chews up some time. hope to have some new pic's to post soon.

thanks again for following along......

Heya Tom. Freakshow (aka Fred) showed me how to do spark plug wires at the distributor. If you already know all this then just disregard. First off I am using Lex's Scale Modeling spark plug wires.

Instrumentpanel005_zps5c9d7046.jpg

I drilled 8 holes in the distributor with the pin vise. Then I cut 1/8" sections of the next step up wire insulation and slid them over the Lex wires for the spark plug wire boots at the distributor and left just enough of the Lex's wire protruding through to insert into the holes in the distributor. (Keep in mind this is my first, I'll be using a smaller drill bit and more precision on my next go round)

Distributor_zps01de8a48.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Joe, next time I will try that, bit for now, I will stick with my home-brew distributor [which I learned on here somewhere].

here is todays pictures of progress,

bits and pieces

photo_zpsdda7a027.jpg

PE wheel,

photo_zpsa50b9f94.jpg

fire walls painted,

photo_zpsb98748ff.jpg

fans

photo_zpsef8e5f97.jpg

chassis parts in primer

photo_zpse95abaaa.jpg

hope to get some done this week with having a few days off for the holidays, stay tuned.....

Joe, next time I will try that, bit for now, I will stick with my home-brew distributor [which I learned on here somewhere].

here is todays pictures of progress,

bits and pieces

photo_zpsdda7a027.jpg

PE wheel,

photo_zpsa50b9f94.jpg

fire walls painted,

photo_zpsb98748ff.jpg

fans

photo_zpsef8e5f97.jpg

chassis parts in primer

photo_zpse95abaaa.jpg

hope to get some done this week with having a few days off for the holidays, stay tuned.....

So Tom how many union workers do you have? :D