Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Mercedes SS

Harry P.

This kit was a real pain, from building the wire wheels to getting the doors and hood to fit. Lots of frustration, and the right side of the hood still doesn't fit right. I may go back one day and try to fix the hood, but for now I'm putting it aside and calling it done.

If you're interested, all the blow-by-blow gory details are here. :lol:

MBfinal5_zps232c776a.jpg

MBfinal6_zps0896d602.jpg

MBfinal1_zpsd825aea3.jpg

Are those black verticals on the cowl the rear view mirrors?

I think they're turn signals. The rearview mirror/spotlight assembly has the chrome messed up, so I have to find something that can pass as the spotlight and then add that and the rear view mirror.

Typ SS means Supersport.

If the S-type was mind-numbingly fast for its time, the SS was LHC-like electron fast thanks to its advanced supercharged 6-straight petrol engine that delivered 200 hp and 225 respectively throughout its production time...

Now, taking into consideration that most cars of the time, even other MB models boasted a power output not higher than 80 hp for the sports models, this very limited range of automobiles was as fast as some of the cars today.

In fact, the quickest SS-model reached a top speed of 118 mph (170 Km/h), amazingly achieved through a low compression ratio(6.2:1) and supercharger combination...

You've done a very impressive job, Harry, because anyone who knows this kit, know how much work it takes, that this looks like this, hat off ... B)

I think they're turn signals.

They are Harry, a lot of German cars around the time had them, here they are on an 1937-39 Opel Admiral, although someone has retro fitted some smaller ones at the front.

Opel_Admiral_Cabriolet,_Bauzeit_1937-193

Edited by GeeBee

Those kinds of turn signals are referred to as "semaphore" because they are hinged at the top and pop up to indicate the turn, much as a flagman would do.

Anyway, you posted this in Under Glass while I was still commenting on the build in the Big Boyz forum Here's what I posted there:

"I picked this kit to mark my re-entry into actually completing, rather than just starting or collecting kits and gathering reference, in 40 years. Wow, this looks like I've really got my work cut out for me. But Harry is acting as a real trailblazer on this kit, and I wouldn't even consider it if Cato hadn't assembled the daunting wire wheels for me. But here's my opportunity to work on the most complicated kit I've ever faced, and chalk it up as a learning experience, based on all the great stuff I've learned in this thread and on this forum. See you with my results in a year or two."

I have researched this car and this kit for many years, and there has never been a better building of this kit than what you see here. It is far superior to the photos on the various box art versions

Harry -- did you make a pin to attach the radiator logo ornament (not part of the kit), or did you just butt-glue it?

Edited by sjordan2

Harry -- did you make a pin to attach the radiator logo ornament (not part of the kit), or did you just butt-glue it?

You can't slip out the center hinge pin once the ornament is glued in place, and because I intend to remove the hood one of these days and try to get the right side to close correctly, I just dabbed a tiny dot of glue on the ornament. That misalignment on the right side really bugs me, because I got both doors and the left side of the hood to close just about perfectly. I just want to put this one aside for a while and get back to it at a later date... right now this kit has given me too much stress... :lol: I just need to work on something else for a while and come back to this one later. I also still have to find a suitable replacement for the spotlight so I can add that and the rear view mirror.

I just want to put this one aside for a while and get back to it at a later date... right now this kit has given me too much stress... :lol: I just need to work on something else for a while and come back to this one later.

I think this is a great point for the newcomers out there, and the rest of us as well. It's a hobby, supposed to relieve stress-not induce it! I followed the build up and would have thrown it against the wall long ago. :o Great work Harry. The fender trim and the handmade wooden trunk behind the seats just blow me away!