Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP BMW 320i 11/16/2014 Body Painted and Chassis/Engine Started.

DynoMight

Been a long time since I've done a workbench post...

But I will be building a BMW 320i

344bo75.jpg

Here are the wheels I am going to use. They are from the AMT AMC Gremlin. The tires are from the Tamiya Nissan 180sx kit.

1548y85.jpg

As of right now, I have attached the fender flares and is on the second round of filler to round them into the body to make them look like they belong there. I did not take any pictures of before I put the second round of putty on, but it was ugly. Pits and cracks everywhere. And also sorry for the sloppy putty work, but hey, it'll all get sanded off anyway!

xcjci9.jpg

25ulm5w.jpg

2mpyick.jpg

NOTE: do not expect regular updates. With school, lifting and basically life going on behind the curtain, it's hard to find build time, even on the weekends.

Thanks for looking!

Glenn

Edited by DynoMight

Small update. No pictures, my camera is dead. Hopefully I'll have a full update soon.

I have painted the car, it was suppose to be white, but it turned to a cream color for some reason. The body has been cleared, wetsanded and polished. The hood... Well, let's just say the hood is in the Super Clean Lake. I hope I will be able to paint and get pictures within this week. Soon I will start on the interior and the suspension when I get the trim painted so I can test fit it all.

Thanks for checking in, sorry for no pictures.

Glenn

Hello guys! Today I have a full update.

I finally finished the bodywork around the flares. I then painted it Model Masters Enamel Flat White. I used Model Master Enamel clear coat. (Model Master stuff was on sale haha) I wetsanded with 3200, 3600, 4400, 6000, 8000 and finally 12000. I polished it with Turtle Wax. When I polished the hood, I dropped the hood and it scratched the baloney out of the top part of the hood. I removed the polish and went to repaint it flat white. Either I didn't fully remove the wax or the clear coat was not completely dry (I painted the clear coat 3 days before in a pretty warm room) because it cracked the paint all the way past the clear, paint and 2 layers of primer down to bare plastic. I wish I would've taken pictures. I put it in the Super Clean Stream for about 5 minutes. Then I realized that I could just paint the top of the hood black and leave the sides white (they were intact) So I did that. I then repolished the hood and I said I was done haha.

Here are the pictures of the body.

2hib8uq.jpg

112gc34.jpg

15fz11.jpg

And here is the chassis. Not much done except the front suspension has been mounted and reinforced because the only way I could lower it was to cut the frame down and make it extremely weak. Yes, I know the wheel tread is facing the wrong way.

11mepup.jpg

And here is the engine. Again, not much down except it being put together.

35ivo0k.jpg

Well, thanks for checking in! I hope to have a update next weekend.

Glenn