Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jacked '49 Merc Wagon 7/7/17 switched to Fotki

Foxer

,,,,,,,,but,a wench is a woman that does housework,in the literal sense,,,,,,,and a winch is what you use to get unstuck with,,,,,,just a thought

You never know ... this COULD end up with a wench mounted on the front ... ! :o

Thanks for the gracious comments everyone .. I do appreciate and they help to keep me on this.

So, here's a real update .. not huge in quantity, but huge in advancing forward on this. I did some wood distressing today and my idea is going to work it seems. I planed down a piece of the outer wood at the bottom of the door with a chisel and glued a piece of .015" x .125 strip that I distressed with a knife . just taking slices at varying angles. I also did a short piece at the upper front that is rotted short of the because the underlying metal has rusted through. I also ran some fine saw teeth along all the raised wood to add some some grain. I believe this will look right once it is painted. That is my next try at this distress that's in my head.

old wood DSC 1635

The front bodywork is pretty much done .. I'm still debating some custom tail light treatment.

old wood DSC 1636

Edited by Foxer

I finally decided what kind of custom taillights I wanted and decided casting them with Bondic would be the quickest and simplest way. They were to fit flush to the rear corner of the wagon as can be seen in the first photo with a test casting in place ... the casting has some missing areas and has been polished on the outside. This established the method I would cast these pieces. I used tape to block the light holes for the casting and had also used tape to mark the area I removed from the body with drills, files and sandpaper.

49 woody tail light  taped fistl lensDSC 1639

This photo shows the final taping. I used Frog tape since it had a smoother surface and one piece over the hole had the non-sticky side facing the opening and would be the surface the Bondic was put against. I also put some Vaseline against the body edges to prevent the Bondic from sticking. The next photo shows the inside before removing the tape and tail light. The taillights came out of the "mold" with the tape.

49 woody tail light bakside DSC 1643

49 woody tail light  tape DSC 1644

Here are the final taillights placed in the body after being sanded in the edges and polished. I plan to polish further but I needed to clean up for a 1:1  electrician working around my bench tomorrow. I"m going to try polishing the inside with my Dremel, but these are pretty much ready to be painted in clear red.

49 woody tail light polished in place DSC 1651

Edited by Foxer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you still working on this ? 

Never fear, all my WIP's come back to haunt you! This is still sitting right in front of my face on the bench, but I'm in a mad dash to finish a Cannonball 2015 build before the end of the month .. and really sure I WILL finish! This should return shortly after... been debating in my head whether to do the body paint or the hand painted wood grain first.

Edited by Foxer

Glad to hear that this is still alive and well. I built a woody as more of a street rod/surf wagon. I painted the base color for the wood first . Then masked everything and painted the metal portion gloss black and cleared. Then did the wood detail by hand with various dry brush and clear orange and clear yellows to get the well kept look on the wood. Lots and lots of Tamiya tape and a very sharp Xacto knife. I really look forward to this build in the future.  

Glad to hear that this is still alive and well. I built a woody as more of a street rod/surf wagon. I painted the base color for the wood first . Then masked everything and painted the metal portion gloss black and cleared. Then did the wood detail by hand with various dry brush and clear orange and clear yellows to get the well kept look on the wood. Lots and lots of Tamiya tape and a very sharp Xacto knife. I really look forward to this build in the future.  

That sounds like a pretty good order of things to me. The body is going to be flat black and would be good for that to go after the basic wood color.

Awesome work you got going on here! It was great meeting you today at my shop. It is VERY clear to me that you have far more patience than I do..............heck my eyes can't even SEE half of the details you have going on! NICE!!!

Thanks, Tom. It's our "never finish" problem that comes across as patience! :P

Now, after being surrounded by all that firepower in your shop, I'm getting the urge to go back on my "big gun" build ... but I just promised to come back to this one ... man, I need to finish something! :o

• 1 year later...