Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jacked '49 Merc Wagon 7/7/17 switched to Fotki

Foxer

Wow! Really nice! For the front bumper, why not a tubular pre runner style?

I'll have to look those up .. this isn't a familiar style for me .. just been seeing a lot of raised trucks around that look good. Not sure what "pre runner" is ..

super cool!

personally i think the stock bumpers with a small push bar or bull bar would look good on there. love a big susp & tires, but like a stock-ish looking body.

it has a nice clean look to it right now, this is one i would not festoon with lights, winches, antennea's.....but a roof rack would go nicely....

weird, have to come over to the car section to see a nice lifted 4by....

I'm not sure I want the stock bumpers on, but I do agree not 35 lights in front! I do need to put a winch on and may be all that goes there. :lol: Maybe I've seen too many woodys with roof rack surfboards to have not considered a rack. Maybe just want to keep the body profile down and sleeker for contrast with the frame/suspension.

For your front bumper you might look at some of the Jeep off road suppliers for inspiration. Tubular bumpers are very popular and are usually made up of two parallel tubes and an option of a loop in the center going up and forward from the bumper. The idea is if you drop of a ledge going down hill this will keep you from rolling over forward. That can be scary. For a wench mount usually they will use a flat metal plate to mount the wench on top of or behind the bumper with the wire coming thru the bumper. Go to www.quadratec.com, they have good pictures of different bumpers and wench mounts. This might help you decide which way you want to go for both front and rear bumpers, also spare tire mounts.

Here's some tube bumpers I made and brackets notched to fit the tubes "welded" to the frame. I'll add a thin bracket to the rear ones with a couple bolts ... they will show below the body edge.

bumpers DSC 1589

bumpers DSC 1590

bumpers DSC 1588

Edited by Foxer

It may be to late for this but if you wanted to a more accurate job on the lift you could do a shackle lift. When doing a lift on a leaf spring suspension in real life you can do a block lift in the rear (placing your block between the axle tube and the spring) but it is very dangerous to do this up front. Up front you would put on a longer shackle on the rear spring hanger. This is just a suggestion.

This build is coming out very nice though I'm enjoying seeing your progress.

Just one pic .. tie plate for the bumper extensions made from .005" brass with 3/4" scale bolts ready to be mounted.

The bumpers are painter Metalizer Gun Metal. What do you think of the rounded ends on the bumper tubes? Was the easiest thing I ever did with my new "tool of many uses!" .... a drop of light-cured Bondic

tie plate DSC 1593

Edited by Foxer

This looks great!! Really cool build. I also think a roof rack would look pretty nifty with a spare tire on it or something like that. Keep up the good work, this is fun to watch.

A roof rack has been suggested a few times here but I've been thinking no .. I wanted a smooth body. And also thinking I was going to put the spare tire on the rear as the Merc Wagon has but with a larger tire and the mount from the Chevy truck that donated it's frame.

Now my thinking is adjusting to this roof rack idea. A simple and clean one for sure with the tire (or two) up there. I have also been looking at woodies with the rear door smooth with no tire mounted and really like the look.

.... thinking. ...... :)

• 5 weeks later...

Things have been progressing slowly and have no photos but I have been looking into how I'll distress the wood. I want to have some missing pieces so went looking for woodies undergoing a restoration. I came on this pic that is just what I need and thought someone else looking here might appreciate what's under all that beautiful wood.

1951Mercury_01_700_zpsj6zvoxg5.jpg

Hemmings%20Find%20of%20the%20Day%20ndash

Edited by Foxer