Model Cars Magazine Forum

`68 Hemi under Glass

FASTBACK340

I'm undecided if I should build this box-stock, or if I should detail it. But either way, the body is soaking in Lake Castrol as I type this. I bought this kit yesterday at the LIARS Model Show cheap so it's getting built!

The box is totally roached and falling apart. The lid I'll save & hang on the wall in the hobby room.

59437253419173-vi.jpg

As nice as that finish looks throughout the plastic bag it's really grainy and rough. Not to mention every mold line from 1968 is still there.

21437253381409-vi.jpg

I plan on doing all the same body detailing modifications as I did on the replica of my car.

26437253386854-vi.jpg

Look at that mold line on the sail panel!

34437253394781-vi.jpg

BLUB-BLUB!

57437256297956-vi.jpg

All the chrome parts popped-off the painted engine with my finger nail. About 3 minor bits are missing, easily replaced.

45437253405025-vi.jpg

MrMike has the `66 covered, I got the `68. Anyone else wanna jump in? :D

rub-a-dub-dub, a rare cuda in a tub................lol.....the ace........ :lol:

At the moment the fish is swimming nicely and loosing the paint. The tail panel, with all the fine, intricate engraving, cleaned totally to bare plastic. By tomorrow it *should* be stripped. I'm going to strip the engine tonight also.

Updates will follow…..

Happy to report that I have untouched, virgin plastic to work with. I found original flash and sprue-nubs on the body. NOTHING was glued together. No glass…. no valance…..tail lights, nothing. If I was using all the kit pieces, the engine block is cleanly assembled, that's it. I also have some uber-tough flat black that's getting primed-over, but everything that matters came out of the purple-soak spotless.

22437363182299-vi.jpg

24437363184519-vi.jpg

Now that I officially have a new project, time to find reference and the usual parts gathering. An Injected Ross Gibson Hemi is already on the shopping list. I have one 1/2 completed project I must finish as I'm not a fan of juggling simultanious builds. More to follow…...

That came out incredibly well! And fast too.

When I first opened the box and saw the light mist coat of color without anything glued in I had to have it. I use Castrol Super Clean and get good results. This was an exceptionally nice job due to the mist coat of unprepared plastic. Now, as for the flat black..... NOTHING removes that!

Edited by FASTBACK340

I also decided to fully detail it too. If I'm going to build it, I may as well BUILD it. B)

1.jpg

John, you might not think it, but I loves me sum HEMI's. I've got a Revell '09 Challenger that I started giving the "Under Glass" treatment to. Too bad I've got other projects going right now. I'd love to get back on that.

Shame you're going injected though. I also loves me sum blowers and the headers, like the pic you posted.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

Shame you're going injected though. I also loves me sum blowers and the headers, like the pic you posted.

Actually, I'm thinking blower & side exit exhaust like the latest version. Just can't bring myself to use a `67 trunk lid trim w/ `68 tail lights. :o

Yeah, I notice these things…... :)

Actually, I'm thinking blower & side exit exhaust like the latest version. Just can't bring myself to use a `67 trunk lid trim w/ `68 tail lights. :o

Yeah, I notice these things…... :)

On the Charlie Allen car I'm doing, I used a '68 Dart grille where a '69 is supposed to be. To my way of thinking, it fit my vision of how to execute the images running rampant in my brain pan. In reality, it looks exactly the way I had seen it. I do lots of experimental stuff during a build. I just don't post ALL of the pics. ;)

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...