Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 58 59 Fords & Edsels - Who Cares To Share What They Have In Their Collection?

impcon

Man, I use to think '58 Fords were ugly. Time has healed that. and looking at John's '58 Fairlane above, and others, makes me really wish someone would issue, or reissue a '58 Ford kit. Heck, I'd be happy with the old AMT curbside kit if they reissued it today (or any of AMT's and SMP's annuals for that matter).

Scott

After looking at Tùlio's, I figured I wouldn't post mine. But... you need a couple of glue bombs to balance things. So here's the other end of the spectrum, freshly out of long term storage. The '59 is a Skyliner with the complete top mechanism which I didn't get quite right. Are the instructions for these still available?

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Let's see.

'57:

AMT hardtop - nice white builtup from an estate sale

AMT hardtop - 1 3/4 kits for my uncle's Fairlane 500 Town Sedan project

Revell Country Squire - decent unpainted builtup

AMT T-bird - Craftsman builtup painted green

AMT T-bird - about 2 1/2 regular kits worth except for hoods, future project to build Nancy Sinatra's car

'58:

AMT original issue Edsel: Modelhaus hardtop, finished in coral and ivory

AMT original issue Edsel: Unpainted builtup hardtop, pretty good shape, future builder

AMT new Edsel: Started, future project to build my former 1/1 Ranger four-door sedan

AMT Fairlane 500 convertible: Two builtups with some issues, one a bit better than the other; might get a Modelhaus hardtop body for the rougher one

Monogram '58 T-bird: Two partly-assembled kits I'm parting out for suspension and running gear for my Hubley '61 Ford wagon; might build one T-bird if there's enough left over

'59:

PMC styrene Ranchero: Molded in red, very good body with conversion in process using innards from Revell Skyliner

PMC styrene Country Sedan: Molded in Geranium, near-mint original coaster (no glass/interior); keeping as-is

PMC styrene Country Sedan: Molded in red, damaged body shell only, mostly repaired but still in my CA stash (if it hasn't been trashed; have a friend looking for it) for another Skyliner conversion

Chris you know that rear suspension from a '58 Thinderbird will not be correct for a '61 Ford wagon? '58 T-bird used coils in the back. '61 Fords, including T-birds, used leafs. By the way, '58 was the only year T-bird was setup with coils in the rear, on the unibody birds. Ford was planning on offering an air suspension setup on both the Thunderbird and Edsel. It did not happen. So Ford switched the T-bird back to leaf spring for '59.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58