Model Cars Magazine Forum

When do you stop building for yourself & start building for the hobby?

But it has been validated by a moderator. Clap clap clap!Mods here are never opinionated or fan the flames of absurd topics.

Jonathon and I discussed this topic via PM immediately after it was posted, and despite some reservation on my part about how a (IMHO) loaded question would end up, I decided to let it play out. That may be a mistake on my part, and if it ends up being so, I'll take the blame and the heat for that decision.

There is some validity to Jonathon's topic, just like the "we have a problem" topic which was recently locked. There are times when hard to discuss, difficult topics have value, despite how they may ultimately end. I hope this topic doesn't end up locked, but I won't hesitate to lock it if it ceases to be of value to forum members.

No I don't think a perfect model, unattainable by the way, should be every builders goal.

Maybe it isn't the fault of the builder as much as it is the publications and forums. There have been several builders who have been featured in the "One Great Model" spread that had glaring errors. Should those builds continue to be shown as the standard builders should strive for? Again I am NOT talking about minor errors like proper firing order. I'm talking improper fitting parts. Prototypically incorrect mechanicals, out of scale details, etc

Thank you Jonathon!!

So maybe instead of getting hung up on those "glaring" faults and itching to be negative, try looking from a positive perspective. Was the model interesting subject matter? Does it faithfully,if not accurately, leave the overall impression it was intended to leave? Find one thing done "right" on the model and complement that aspect.

Anyone can find fault in every model built, its not hard. If you don't like what you see in magazine spreads and posted on forums, build better (in your opinion) stuff and submit it.

No I don't think a perfect model, unattainable by the way, should be every builders goal.

Maybe it isn't the fault of the builder as much as it is the publications and forums. There have been several builders who have been featured in the "One Great Model" spread that had glaring errors. Should those builds continue to be shown as the standard builders should strive for? Again I am NOT talking about minor errors like proper firing order. I'm talking improper fitting parts. Prototypically incorrect mechanicals, out of scale details, etc

I won't make excuses for gross errors, either, so I understand why people frown upon them, but I don't think their is a single answer in this case which would satisfy your question. I can think of some reasons, may of which don't even seem logical to me, but getting into another builder's mind and thought process is an area I'm not sure we should be probing. No person should have to answer to anyone about anything, no matter how gross a particular error may seem, or how universally accepted that error is. There has to remain some level of privacy for the builder, and they should always retain the choice not to answer, even when people expect one. Again, that may not seem logical, but unless it's a commissioned build, the builder owes the public nothing.

I can't say why a certain publication features any particular work, so I'm no help there.

So maybe instead of getting hung up on those "glaring" faults and itching to be negative, try looking from a positive perspective. Was the model interesting subject matter? Does it faithfully,if not accurately, leave the overall impression it was intended to leave? Find one thing done "right" on the model and complement that aspect.

Anyone can find fault in every model built, its not hard. If you don't like what you see in magazine spreads and posted on forums, build better (in your opinion) stuff and submit it.

I don't get hung up on the glaring faults or miss the positives of a built nor am I "itching" to be negative. Some things once seen can not be unseen & you can never look at the model without your eyes being drawn to the error. BTW That is what I am talking about when I say glaring error. I simply asked a question based on something I saw earlier and a discussion I have had with other modelers also.

Edited by J Morrison

The original question is based on if the builder really worries about other peoples opinions.

I've had my builds featured in Australian model magazines and on the covers also and I still build to my tastes and standards, I try to make each model better than the last but I do this for myself not for anyone else or because I feel obligated to do so to satisfy anyone else.

I enjoy looking at everyone's builds regardless of quality at shows, I never get overly critical as you never know the builders circumstances.

Some builds that make magazines do have noticeable mistakes but generally when you see a feature in a magazine the pictures are bigger than the item would be in actual size so the mistakes get magnified and exaggerated. The mistakes you see in a magazine mightn't even be noticeable if you were viewing the actual model on a table in front of you.

While it's nice to view the elite level in magazines to try and maybe get ideas and tips for future builds it's also nice that other builders get coverage too. It provides encouragement for the middle fielders of the hobby, and the hobby needs this type of encouragement.

If you're not building for your own enjoyment you probably need to find a new hobby.

I like Turtles.. :D

I like rivets... :D

Hmmmmmm......I guess that must mean I like counting them too!!! :lol:

I wonder how many are on this trailer, 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...SHOOT, LOST COUNT!!! 1...2...3...4...

When does someone become so popular in the hobby that they can no longer cut corners & "build for themselves" and have to take it to the next level.

You haven't answered my question in response to your opening statement. Again, why do you feel a person is compelled to increase the accuracy of his/her work based upon how much public recognition that person's work receives?

Wow!!I I joined this site to learn some stuff and check out some models.Are these grown men?Correcting spelling,passive agresssive psychobabble,name calling!!Wow!just wow!!I guess I'm no better replying to this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.Maybe we should just all be a little embarrassed!!

You haven't answered my question in response to your opening statement. Again, why do you feel a person is compelled to increase the accuracy of his/her work based upon how much public recognition that person's work receives?

I'm with Casey on this. Do you know if the modeler you describe even exists? Do you know someone who feels that kind of pressure? It seems more likely to me that elite builders do what they do because they can and they like to.

When the day comes that I stop building for myself, that will be the day that I stop building. I only do it because I enjoy it. If it ever becomes too much like work, I'll take up fishing or something. Steve

Ditto,

I've built a few for others ( all for free ) and have been asked about building for hire. But when I give some idea of a quote, the discussion usually ends right there.

I have always buit for me , some better than others but I don't do any to impress someone else. If I am happy with it thats all that matters

RUST - ya'll gotta git thet rust on there. bumper to, whall, where the bumpas should oughta be at. that's whats gonna git ya in 'em glossy prints. don't matter how, slather that puppy end to end, top to bottom, stem ta stern, port over starb'd an' binnacle to pinnacle. tars? heck, they gots steel belts, so rus' them up, too.

now that's some quality cruisin' rat thar. put so much on so's no-buddy will even notice there's one exhaust, three wheels hittin' the pavement, or missing steering wheel. it's okay - everyone will figur it's "kewel" and not say a word.

don't have no fancy, schmancy paint weatherin' kit? no matta, take 'er out inna back yard and smoosh the real thing all over. ya can evenleave it out there for a couple of weeks if'n yer want. no one will know, and it only makes it look more better in the photos.

and I want this on my headstone:

...... No person should have to answer to anyone about anything.....

When does someone become so popular in the hobby that they can no longer cut corners & "build for themselves" and have to take it to the next level. Whether that means learning & properly displaying mechanicals or take a step back & execute ALL the details properly instead of just 90%-ing details for the sake of them being on the model. What is the opinion of the board?"

From my time competing at local shows and my time on the forums over the last 12 years or so, I've never had any builder complain of this, and I've met some of the "well known" guys. I don't think this is the sort of hobby for that sort of mindset. Very few of us build models for anything except the pleasure of doing so. And if they want to build something box stock, or build something super detailed and museum quality, they do so for their own gratification.

This is a pretty simple question folks, I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on Jon's case about it.

Wow!!I I joined this site to learn some stuff and check out some models.Are these grown men?Correcting spelling,passive agresssive psychobabble,name calling!!Wow!just wow!!I guess I'm no better replying to this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.Maybe we should just all be a little embarrassed!!

Welcome to the species called humans.

I just read through all of this thread and my first impression is that a lot of you guys have an amazing talent for not understanding the original question and jumping all over the OP for completely invalid reasons.

The question asked was is there a point at which a modeler becomes so "famous" in the hobby that he/she has an obligation to the rest of us to make sure they sweat the details and get things right because "the whole world is watching," so to speak.

That is a perfectly valid question. Why did so many of you jump in with inane comments that have nothing to do with the question asked? Why are so many of you so eager to start flame throwing? Why do so many of you not understand the question asked and respond accordingly? Seriously... every time someone tries to have an adult conversation here, they immediately get shot down and drowned out by people who don't even understand the question being asked!

To answer the question... in my opinion, no builder has any obligation to live up to anyone else's expectations or demands, no matter how well known they are in the hobby. That's my take on it.

Multi-million-dollar-a-year sports figures, musicians...even presidents...don't seem to find any particular need to lead by virtue of being shining examples of "doing it right" (even though in many cases, they're role-models for large numbers of young people...and should know it) so why would model car builders be expected to live to any higher standards?

Multi-million-dollar-a-year sports figures, musicians...even presidents...don't seem to find any particular need to lead by virtue of being shining examples of "doing it right" (even though in many cases, they're role-models for large numbers of young people...and should know it) so why would model car builders be expected to live to any higher standards?

There are so many that ARE, or could be role models, but those guys are boring and don't get 24 hour news coverage.

I agree with Harry - this post went from 0 to 60 pretty fast with a lot of speculating and assumptions.

As for the OP, I think it comes down to what people are willing to accept - and not the builder, the consumer. If everybody quit buying a magazine (or a model!) because of substandard material, that would either cause a change or no more magazine. If we accept, or are silent (a form of consent), than we are responsible.

I think humility is needed in anything we do, and being open to criticism is a sign that, know matter how good you are (or think you are), you will never be perfect, so admit mistakes but grow from them.