Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can-Do wrecker

Can Do did have a sleeper on it that is one of thier other wreckers. i would like to build thier new one with the Boniface unit

Correct, that is not Can-Do. This is Can-Do, which has been restored and updated since the kit was first released, which was NEVER correct for the 1:1 in the first place.

3597117061_94c7413314_zps9f29ac57.jpg

The original:

steppswrecker006custom_zps1623142a.jpg

Also, I noticed this just a few nights ago, because I have the second pic on my desktop background along with other famous wreckers (Jamie Davis Towing from the Weather Channel's "Highway Thru Hell" and the Mistress from Ohare Towing) and noticed that Can-Do is not a 379, but a short hood 378. Glad I didn't buy the 379 conversion hood to "correct" it! :lol:

After looking through some pics of Stepp's trucks, I would guess (without actually being able to see the unit number in the video) this was the truck they were using.

rotsm3_zpsa7152c22.jpg

Regardless, still a nice truck! :D

Also, I noticed this just a few nights ago, because I have the second pic on my desktop background along with other famous wreckers (Jamie Davis Towing from the Weather Channel's "Highway Thru Hell" and the Mistress from Ohare Towing) and noticed that Can-Do is not a 379, but a short hood 378. Glad I didn't buy the 379 conversion hood to "correct" it! :lol:

Actually, it is a 379 short hood. There is a seam on side of the hood which is a feature of aluminum hood and those were fitted to 379s. The 378´s hood is made of fiberglass and there is no seam on the side. And it is always a short hood. Both hoods are slightly sloped. The top of the 379´s is flat while the top of the 378´s is a bit rounded.

If the 379 conversion hood is extended it would not be correct to use it for the Can-Do model. Still good decision not to buy one. :)

Just wondering, during the video is that water from the sinkhole dropping out of the car or fluids from the car? I bet that car is totaled.

Glenn, it looked to me like it was mud from the sink hole. If you look closely at one point, I think maybe when they are swinging it over the next door neighbor's driveway, you can see it coming out of the windshield.

Highway the unit number on the last one you posted is 240

Yeah, I know Richard, I was talking about the truck in the video! :lol:

Highway thelast pic you posted I do believe is ther newestone with the Boniface unit

Is the Boniface unit made by Jerr Dan, Richard? Even though I even drove heavy wreckers about 10 years ago, I've not heard of a Boniface unit. I did find these other pics of Unit 240.

rotator020_zps1714fd2a.jpg

Stepps-Towing-Tow-Show1_zps7b62a5ba.jpg

Actually, it is a 379 short hood. There is a seam on side of the hood which is a feature of aluminum hood and those were fitted to 379s. The 378´s hood is made of fiberglass and there is no seam on the side. And it is always a short hood. Both hoods are slightly sloped. The top of the 379´s is flat while the top of the 378´s is a bit rounded.

If the 379 conversion hood is extended it would not be correct to use it for the Can-Do model. Still good decision not to buy one. :)

I did not know there was a 379 short hood, the only one I knew of was the 378. Thanks for the info! :)

I stand corrected the new truck has Jerrdan unit I think Boniface is an european unit I may be wrongon that alos , the unit in the Italeri kits is a Bro unit. I do want to build a Jerrdan unit like in the pic

You and me both! I've got plans in my head for a whole fleet of wreckers, I just have to get the spare cash to get more of the newest reissue LOL!

RPP Hobby has them for $64.95, thinking about picking one up (to go with the original one I still haven't built from 10 years ago!LOL).

You too LOL! The most I've done to my original is the frame and some of the bed.

• 1 month later...

I purchased one of these kits probably close to 10 years ago,and still have not got around to building it.I also bought a resin extended hood to a "correction" on the 379.Glad i seen the photos of the actual truck because that was clearly gonna be a mistake.Now i just have to concentrate on updating the interior since its clearly from the late 70's early 80's 379.

• 2 weeks later...