Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Phantom's Divine Comedy. Obscure, yes, but I like it even though it's not what I usually listen to. "Calm Before the Storm" (at 8:07) is my favorite track, and was released as a single:

And yes, the lead singer does sound a lot like Jim Morrison.

Nice, that's totally in my wheelhouse as a collector of odd and wonderful recordings from the '60s-'70s.

?

Favorite obscure music? Think 1972-73....Blacksburg Va. Jethro Tull was booked to play Cassell Coliseum at Virginia Tech. They were touring on the strength of their "Aqualung" LP...which every frat boy and jock was blasting out of their dorm room at the time. I liked  Tull's earlier effort "Stand Up", but had lost interest in them in favor of other acts. But then I heard that a protege of Frank Zappa...Don Von Vliet aka Captain Beefheart was to be Tull's opening act. Having been blown away by prior exposure to this guy I just had to check him out live. Anyone familiar with his unique brand of music knows what I'm talking about. Should've seen the faces on the Joe College crowd when this  band of eccentrics took the stage and bombarded the arena with the Don's gravelly voice & harmonica , odd ball lyrics, maniacal slide guitar solos and their odd time signatures. One critic described it as "a truck rolling down the highway on four different shaped wheels". I just had to have their "Clear Spot" album, wrapped in clear vinyl. It's perhaps his most accessible L.P., moving from the sublimely soulful "My Head is My Only House Unless It Rains" & "Too Much Time" to the frantically psychotic " Big Eyed Beans From Venus". Great lyrical content too..." men let your wallets flop out, and women...open up your purses!" Or ..." Women like long neck bottles, and a big head on their beer." Like somebody posted once...if Carl Sagan had put Captain Beefheart on his Voyager record that sailed out into interstellar space...long after we are all gone as a species the alien race that spins that music would say " this guy was a head of his time".     http://youtu.be/UB6N4y1ZB-Y

My son and I watched Once Upon a Time in the West last night and the Harmonica part was driving me crazy - what song did it remind me of?  I think I figured it out!!

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, afx said:

Like this song from the film as well.

The "Maestro" as he liked to be referred to as, was just about to do the sound track for a film my

late brother in law was going to produce. That project fell through unfortunately, but Nick had meetings 

with Ennio and I got to hear some great stories about his experiences with one of my all time music heroes.

14 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

The "Maestro" as he liked to be referred to as, was just about to do the sound track for a film my

late brother in law was going to produce. That project fell through unfortunately, but Nick had meetings 

with Ennio and I got to hear some great stories about his experiences with one of my all time music heroes.

I'm sure he did have some great stories.  That reminded me of these episodes of Seinfeld. :)

Edited by afx

This special double CD box set with a "Spirou" theme is just wonderful if you can find it.

IMG_1515.JPG.0add3d7cf4c4fa150844475f71b54e61.JPG

The idea was to have musicians create tracks that coincide with Spirou adventures in comic books.

Lots of varied stuff on this cinematic album.  Unfortunately the only track found on you tube is also

one of the hardest.  Ha Ha... Blind Idiot God will melt a face, the rest of this album is not the same.

5 hours ago, afx said:

I'm sure he did have some great stories.  That reminded me of these episodes of Seinfeld. :)

JC, if you have seen the movie "Mitchell" (best version being the ms3tk) , still makes me laugh!

That is one my brother in law worked on as producer/executive producer.

as a side note, I always hated that Seinfeld show. Those people would never be part of my realm.?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER