Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

9 hours ago, plasticprime said:

From Canada, the breeding ground for the most underappreciated music on the planet, comes FM and the LP "Black Noise" featuring the one and only Nash the Slash... Set those phasors to stun, boys and girls...

Of cores, being obscure kinda depends on where you're at. 

FM is pretty well known up here as their video for "Just Like You" was on pretty heavy rotation on Muchmusic [Canadian version of MTV] when it was released.

I still have my cassette copy of their album "Tonight", which is excellent. 

FM Tonight reviews 

Actually, it's pretty representative of the Canadian new wave sound of the late '70s and early '80s. I'd suggest you also check out The Spoons "Areas and Symphonies", Blue Peter "The Falling" and Strange Advance "Worlds Away".  These albums also have somewhat of a new wave/science fiction theme to them.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Of cores, being obscure kinda depends on where you're at. 

FM is pretty well known up here as their video for "Just Like You" was on pretty heavy rotation on Muchmusic [Canadian version of MTV] when it was released.

I still have my cassette copy of their album "Tonight", which is excellent. 

FM Tonight reviews 

Actually, it's pretty representative of the Canadian new wave sound of the late '70s and early '80s. I'd suggest you also check out The Spoons "Areas and Symphonies", Blue Peter "The Falling" and Strange Advance "Worlds Away".  These albums also have somewhat of a new wave/science fiction theme to them.

I grew up in Western NY and watched lots of TVOntario and HNIC, AND listened to CHUM-FM at first, then Q107 (reception allowing). My favorite band of all-time (excluding the Beatles, who are of a different sphere of existence) is SAGA. I can tell you that with only a few exceptions, Canadian bands were completely unknown to my fellow classmates, and later co-workers (and I worked in film/video/audio production!). Getting the Canadian LPs was a (your should excuse the pun) a saga in itself - all imports, of course. We would go to Toronto to enjoy "the adult entertainment," and then I'd insist we stop at record stores. I'd spend hundreds on LPs and cassettes (this is WAY before CDs) to grab up the stuff you simply couldn't get state-side. Not all prog, of course - here's a sampling of my inventory: Max Webster, Kim Mitchell, Triumph, Goddo, The Kings, Gowan, The Northern Pikes, Tragically Hip, Chalk Circle, Coney Hatch, Frozen Ghost, Frank Marino, Parachute Club, Toronto, Headpins, Harlequin, Trooper, Payolas, Rough Trade, Lee Aaron, Wrabit...and so on and so forth. And just about everything SAGAS's ever done wit the exception of some stuff that I'm not sure was ever legitimately released. Thanks for the tips, because Blue Peter is the only one with which I'm familiar. ROCK ON CANADA!     PS - I used to be able to stream Q107 online from the US until the authorities put the kibosh on that. 

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, plasticprime said:

From Canada, the breeding ground for the most underappreciated music on the planet, comes FM and the LP "Black Noise" featuring the one and only Nash the Slash... Set those phasors to stun, boys and girls...

I saw them open for Rush. It was the band as on Surveillance. Cameron Hawkins,  Martin Deller, and Ben Mink. I would guess many in the US aren't aware that Ben Mink has spent much of his career writing and playing with K.D.Lang. He also played the beautiful violin solo on Rush's "Losing It" from Signals. That's probably the tour that FM opened.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, plasticprime said:

I grew up in Western NY and watched lots of TVOntario and HNIC, AND listened to CHUM-FM at first, then Q107 (reception allowing). My favorite band of all-time (excluding the Beatles, who are of a different sphere of existence) is SAGA. I can tell you that with only a few exceptions, Canadian bands were completely unknown to my fellow classmates, and later co-workers (and I worked in film/video/audio production!). Getting the Canadian LPs was a (your should excuse the pun) a saga in itself - all imports, of course. We would go to Toronto to enjoy "the adult entertainment," and then I'd insist we stop at record stores. I'd spend hundreds on LPs and cassettes (this is WAY before CDs) to grab up the stuff you simply couldn't get state-side. Not all prog, of course - here's a sampling of my inventory: Max Webster, Kim Mitchell, Triumph, Goddo, The Kings, Gowan, The Northern Pikes, Tragically Hip, Chalk Circle, Coney Hatch, Frozen Ghost, Frank Marino, Parachute Club, Toronto, Headpins, Harlequin, Trooper, Payolas, Rough Trade, Lee Aaron, Wrabit...and so on and so forth. And just about everything SAGAS's ever done wit the exception of some stuff that I'm not sure was ever legitimately released. Thanks for the tips, because Blue Peter is the only one with which I'm familiar. ROCK ON CANADA!     PS - I used to be able to stream Q107 online from the US until the authorities put the kibosh on that. 

A ton of great stuff, you mentioned there!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Oh, yeah! Kim Mitchell is one of my very favorite guitar players. He and Max Webster should be better known, on this side of the border. Oh! And April Wine!

Yikes! I don't believe I forgot April Wine! When I first heard "You Could Have Been A Lady," I searched all around Western NY for it, but could only find it on a live LP that was tucked away in a bin in the back of a Buffalo head shop (right next to the lava lamps). I still have it, but most of my April Wine stuff is on cassette and even some CDs. Kim Mitchell is an unsung guitar god (at least here) and actually did a DJ gig on Q107 for many years. And if you're not familiar with Frank Marino (with or without Mahogany Rush), you need to check him out. He is beyond words - one of the greatest to ever wield an axe. I'll also mention Blue Rodeo and Garolou...and solely for "Fantasy," you have to throw in Aldo Nova. And one of the best songwriters out there, Bruce Cockburn (to go through life with a last name like that, had to be har...tough). And of course we haven't even mentioned the bands that are known south of the border - The Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young, Rush... and David Clayton- Thomas of Blood, Sweat & Tears... There must be something in the beer up north that produces some of the greatest music the planet has ever known. (Molson Golden, anyone?) 

• Like 1

My "X" was a big April Wine fan. Had every album they did on cassette including both versions [regular and very rare recalled version] of Myles Goodwin's solo album. 

and yes, Aldo Nova's "Fantasy" Classis '80s Quebec culture. Only song I know of specifically about hookers and coke. 😎

• Like 1

Aldo Nova's "Fantasy" got some airplay down here in the early '80s. The next time I heard his name was in conjunction with American Idol--I think he wrote some of the winners' songs, or something like that.

The only "non US-famous" Canadian band I have any familiarity with is Odds, out of Vancouver BC. They toured with Warren Zevon as his backing band in 1991-92. I've heard bootlegs of maybe half a dozen of these shows and they're among the very best full-band work Zevon ever did. They did my favorite version of his song "Model Citizen" and covered Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" and Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan." Fabulous stuff! Eventually I ran across one of Odds' CDs, Bedbugs, in a record shop and bought it. Was pleasantly surprised to find that Zevon guested on the song "Jack Hammer." 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, plasticprime said:

When I first heard "You Could Have Been A Lady," I searched all around Western NY for it, but could only find it on a live LP that was tucked away in a bin in the back of a Buffalo head shop (right next to the lava lamps). I still have it, but most of my April Wine stuff is on cassette and even some CDs.

Is that "Live At The El Mocambo"? I have it on vinyl, and maybe CD. They got some decent airplay, with a few songs, down  here, but, there's so much more great stuff, from them. I saw Mahogany Rush, back in about 1980. Andy Curran and Alex Lifeson are supposed to have a record out, later this year. Thank you, Canada, for so many fantastic bands!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 6:10 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Is that "Live At The El Mocambo"? I have it on vinyl, and maybe CD. They got some decent airplay, with a few songs, down  here, but, there's so much more great stuff, from them. I saw Mahogany Rush, back in about 1980. Andy Curran and Alex Lifeson are supposed to have a record out, later this year. Thank you, Canada, for so many fantastic bands!

Nope - it's Live! - the first live LP they released.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, plasticprime said:

From Canada, the breeding ground for the most underappreciated music on the planet...

Can't argue with this at all!

So many bands here that people outside of Canada should know about.

Such as...Danko Jones. New album just came out a week or so ago. And it's a banger.

Angelfish's self titled album.  it's the band Shirley Manson was in before Garbage.  most of the album sounds like an an early yet refined garage band version of Garbage.  it's got 3 sand out songs (posted below).  but the whole album is worth a listen if your into 90's era post grunge alternative rock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

Angelfish's self titled album.  it's the band Shirley Manson was in before Garbage.  most of the album sounds like an an early yet refined garage band version of Garbage.  it's got 3 sand out songs (posted below).  but the whole album is worth a listen if your into 90's era post grunge alternative rock.

Have been a fan of this for ages! Garbage are one of my fav bands and have been since the debut album. So when I first heard about Shirley's other band, I had to track down  the CD.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...