Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

I have rather eclectic taste in music. And I enjoy discovering artist or albums that were previously unknown to me. So I would propose that you post one of your favorite obscure albums so that we can all broaden our musical horizons.

Here is how we will play the game. Post the artist & album title. Provide a brief description of the music. Finally, post a link to the song you feel best represents that album.

Here is my offering: David Sylvan & Robert Fripp – The First Day.

This album could easily be mistaken for King Crimson during one of their most lyrical iterations. However in lieu of Adrian Belew we have David Sylvain’s rich baritone. And as always we have Fripp’s inventive and distinctive guitar. I would suggest you start with “Jean the Birdman”. I could just as easily have suggested “God’s Monkey” or “Firepower” both of which are also excellent.

Enough babbling, give it a listen then post one of your favorites.

Edited by afx

Ron Asheton's New Order

Relocating to Los Angeles after the implosion of Iggy & The Stooges , Ron Asheton got together with former mc5 drummer Dennis "Machinegun" Thompson and Stooges short time bassist James Recca , and formed The New Order in 1975 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Order_%28band%29

This is Rock & Roll Soldiers from Declaration of War :

it just has to be Nektar Recycled.... back around 1974 maybe, I was laying in bed with a college radio station on... and they played this. I immediately bought the album the very next day. And it's always been one of my favorite works. The entire first side flows like a rock opera. I believe this clip is all of it....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iLlvkXCQ8AE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I give up. The same code that works here all the time just gives us what you see above!

Click on this, it works:

//www.youtube.com/embed/iLlvkXCQ8AE

Edited by Tom Geiger

"Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death" By The Dead Kennedys. I'm not going to post a link to it due to how upset people will get over something like this but it's a great album if you enjoy early punk or music speaking out against social issues. Also "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" by the Sex Pistols is one of the most unappreciated albums of rock in my opinion.

The entire YES catalog. Old folks may know YES.....but my 30 year son-in-law had never heard of them. As I age everything I like is obscure...... :lol:

Dave I am a huge Yes fan as well. If you don't already know this album you may like Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr. Cairo..

McKendree Spring, the first album. 40+ years later, it still means too much to me. '69 acoustic.

Anybody remember Fairport Convention? British late '60s, '70s electric folk rock, they sometimes sound a little like early Airplane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrW46qP4mw

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

How about a link to the entire album? ;)

The Bambi Molesters - Sonic Bullets (13 From the Hip)

It's not as obscure here, but for you guys it probably is... Yes, it's Croatian, it is surf-rock with a modern take, and what is even more bizarre, the band is from a dreary industrial town which is nowhere near the coast :P

• 1 month later...

I was enjoying this thread very much before the sever switch over wiped out much of it. I hope you guys where too. Let’s try to get to bring it back to life with one of my previous selections.

Peter Ulrich – Pathways and Dawns

Peter Ulrich was the drummer for Dead Can Dance for several years. He decided to break out on his own with this, his first album – well sort of. Brendan Perry had a big influence over this album as he played on, arranged and produced it. None the less it is filled with some wonderful examples of musicianship if you can get pass Ulrich’s singing. It was recorded in Quivvy Church, built in Ireland in the 1800’s and that contributes to the albums fantastic sound.

I give you, Life Amongst the Black Sheep

Not sure I can get this to work but,,

Sound of Contact

This is their second relese from their album "Dimensionaut"

The lead singer may look a bit familiar to some of you.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mVm4uc_zHmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>