Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

SOmething I rediscovered lately. 

When in a mellow mood, I like listening to slower, darker music. Something melancholy, something mournful, dark, whatever.

Raining Gold by A.R.O. is pretty good. She is Ozzy's oldest daughter. Yes, THAT Ozzy. She's the one that did not want to be on the tv show.

Does not sound like Ozzy at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was familiar with the couple songs that got air play on the radio but nothing about the album they came from until 1972 while sitting in a rainy place far far from home with most of a bottle of Jack in me.

as a rule that would have meant I wouldn't remember much of that day but for some reason it stuck in my head. Bought the album in a discount bin ($1.99) at K Mart when they were closing out all the vinyl.

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

I was familiar with the couple songs that got air play on the radio but nothing about the album they came from until 1972 while sitting in a rainy place far far from home with most of a bottle of Jack in me.

as a rule that would have meant I wouldn't remember much of that day but for some reason it stuck in my head. Bought the album in a discount bin ($1.99) at K Mart when they were closing out all the vinyl.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy is spent
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one;
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, OldTrucker said:

Such a splendid album , through-and-through . While it was released in 1967 , it regained popularity in 1972 when 'Night In White Satin' (and its outro , 'Late Lament') topped the charts . My fave tracks off of this album are 'Lunch Break / Peak Hour' ( which culminate side one of the album ) .

Personally , I love the next album , 'In Search of the Lost Chord' (1968) ---- do yourself a solid and check that one out as well . You'll recognise at least one song on there that received its share of radio play .

Truly , one can't go wrong with any of the 1966-1970 Moody Blues albums (their first album was a compilation : 'Go Now' was its de facto title ; it featured other members such as Denny Laine . Most of its songs are from 1964-1966 ) .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A good friend of mine has a band called Punch Drunk Cabaret. He's the singer/guitarist.

They just released their latest video a couple of weeks ago. Was a killer release party at a local club.

If you like a little Stray Cats, a little swing, a little rock n roll, check these guys out. They're on Spotify, and have a bunch of videos on You Tube. And if you're in western Canada, watch for them, as they tour quite a bit, and the show is entertaining.

"In Search of the Lost Chord" was my first exposure to the Moody Blues.  A teacher put in on to inspire a high school art class, and I was hooked.

As far as newer music goes,  I like the Moody Blues vibe to the guitars in this one.

As far as favourite obscure stuff goes, I'm still pretty fond of the country punk sounds of Rank and File.