Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
afx

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I found most of his albums on closeout at Bestbuy years ago and picked them up.

Back when CDs came out and people were dumping their vinyl, I pretty much bought every vinyl album I ever wanted at garage sales for a dollar 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Back when CDs came out and people were dumping their vinyl, I pretty much bought every vinyl album I ever wanted at garage sales for a dollar 

I've been doing that with CDs now that so many people are going all streaming, used music stores and Goodwill have a pretty good music selection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll buy cassettes every once in a while too.  I still have my tape deck, a Nakamichi.  Not one of their top-of-the-line models but a nice deck nonetheless. 

Edited by afx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still buy new CDs. As much as I have embraced streaming, I still like holding physical copies of albums. I still enjoy reading liner notes.

Thrift stores and garage sales are great for picking up tons of CDs for not much money. Much like people used to do with vinyl, I offer $20 or whatever for a case of CDs. If there are a handful of gems amongst the garbage, then I'm happy. And then I take the unwanted down to a used CD store, where they are happy to buy them from me. And  usually just exchange for something they have in stock that I want. Everyone is happy. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. Nice to hear her with an orchestra backing the piece. Its short, will there be a longer version or is this just a teas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume this is the full length version.  I heard it for the first time today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, afx said:

I assume this is the full length version.  I heard it for the first time today.

Just listened to it again on my home system (Peachtree audio DAC, Monitor Audio silver 100's)

Proly just me but her vocals are a bit weak. Knowing this is the trend today with young artists.

I rather like the old John Barry,Shirley Bassey stuff myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've developed a fascination for jrock/pop. This could use better mixing, but it's the only youtube I can find. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just now hearing Yes' "Roundabout" as an acoustic version....... I like it.

 

 

Edited by JollySipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great version TJ thanks for sharing it.  Steve Howe's acoustic guitar solo was a highlight of any Yes show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Just listened to it again on my home system (Peachtree audio DAC, Monitor Audio silver 100's)

Proly just me but her vocals are a bit weak. Knowing this is the trend today with young artists.

I rather like the old John Barry,Shirley Bassey stuff myself.

Nice!  I have an Arcam rDAC with an upgraded power supply that listen to digital tracks with in my system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, afx said:

Nice!  I have an Arcam rDAC with an upgraded power supply that listen to digital tracks with in my system.

That Arcam has some good reviews. I scaled back from a multi channel Rotel system to this two channel 

approach and run a "Vortex-Box" loaded with all my ripped C.D.s (and some DVD's) all controlled by the

Ipeng app on my IPad/IPhone.Lots of features available to those who are willing to learn a bit of coding.

With my terrible tinnitus from working in production machine shops, my hearing has probably ruined my

ability to judge anything musical (or maybe it was my misspent youth). Most likely why I tend to like

wierd angular music, getting hard to hear subtleties. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic is obscure. 

I can think of a few bands I actually got to see and just how off the dial they where.

Legindary Pink Dots, Tupelo chain sex, The Jazz Butcher, or most any band that played at First Avenue in

MPLS. during the 80's-90's. I worked two blocks away and had a roommate who night owled as a bar tender there

so I was constantly dropping in, was it My Bloody Valentine that night?or The Church?... well... yah?! Even got to see Primal Scream.

A real treat with an excellent tripy 1960's style acid light show. Wonderful!

One particular  night we saw  "the Waterboys"Touring their first album "This is the Sea" That was just magical. 

If you haven't listened to it give it a try, chances are you have heard a song or two. 

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

That Arcam has some good reviews. I scaled back from a multi channel Rotel system to this two channel 

approach and run a "Vortex-Box" loaded with all my ripped C.D.s (and some DVD's) all controlled by the

Ipeng app on my IPad/IPhone.Lots of features available to those who are willing to learn a bit of coding.

With my terrible tinnitus from working in production machine shops, my hearing has probably ruined my

ability to judge anything musical (or maybe it was my misspent youth). Most likely why I tend to like

wierd angular music, getting hard to hear subtleties. 😜

I have seen and heard the Meridian Sooloos system and it is awesome!  It is also far beyond my reach.  Sounds like you have a great setup for your digital library. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun thread,  really have enjoyed listening to some stuff you all are into.

Here is one that I like quite a bit. (Zydeco Blues sort of thing)

Sonny Landreth,  "Gone Pecan". From the album Grant Street.

Great album, check it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this husband and wife duo perform in a local church in 1995 - The Kennedys

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard Thompson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...