Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I discovered this album a while back, it's Primus covering the soundtrack to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".......... The whole album has a disassociated kinda surreal feel to it, just like the movie!

primus_chocolate.thumb.JPG.bd919b89aeb17

You guys should look it up on your favorite music listening site.............

"Into the Wild" by LP (Laura Pergolizzi). You'll recognize the title track from an insurance commercial of a couple of years ago with a pretty rock climber ascending to the stop of a stone pinnacle, with lyrics saying "Somebody left the gate open." This woman has octaves, and the album is all winners. "Tokyo Sunrise" is a highlight.

Edited by sjordan2

I discovered this album a while back, it's Primus covering the soundtrack to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".......... The whole album has a disassociated kinda surreal feel to it, just like the movie!

primus_chocolate.thumb.JPG.bd919b89aeb17

You guys should look it up on your favorite music listening site.............

Edited by afx

• 4 weeks later...

Here's yet another album by Les Claypool........ He builds bands just so they can make an album together, then he moves on to other projects. He has been quoted as saying "Play as much as you can, as often as you can, with as many different people as you can, it's they only way you can learn and grow."

Anyway, this group is called Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, the album is The Big EyeBall in the Sky..... it consist of Les on bass, Bernie Worrell on keys, Buckethead on guitar, and Brian Mantia on drums....... Google "Elephant Ghost" and give it a listen..........

Bigeyeball.thumb.jpg.ca0e17f9d9af94af4d8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this group today. It's QOTSA's singer/guitarist Josh Homme, Dave Grohl of Nirvana/ Foo Fighters fame, and John Paul Jones on keyboards and bass (yes, THAT John Paul!). They call themselves Them Crooked Vultures........ Here's the album art from their debut album......

vultures_album.thumb.jpg.915792ba1e0ec9d

I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album yet, but what I've heard sounds Awesome...........

From back in my "experimentation" days while serving with the USAF in Thailand, one of my friends introduced me to Osibisa.  There are a couple of really mind-gathering rifts on this one.

Osibisacover.jpg

The Goodness of this music kinda sneaks up on you........ It's more of an experience than a listen......

Thanks for posting them, I've found a new band to discover!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...