Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

• 2 months later...

I've been away from MCM for a while now (involved in some other stuff), but have added a few more non-car related kits to the stash.

1:32 Revell ECR Tornado, which I'll be building as a Saudi IDS.ecr_003.thumb.jpg.7e7b099d011cb8fcfd6a4d

1:32 Z-M A-1H Skyraider.

A-1H 002.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

• 2 months later...

I thought this little paper model looked interesting. Have been wondering about these, as there are several US military subjects available in 1/25-1/24 paper kits from Europe you just never see done in anything larger than 1/35 in styrene. This one looks like it will build into a very attractive model.

P02-Meta-Model-1-24th-1-Cunningham-Hall-GA-35-1-24th-Scale-Card-Model-Kit

Cool. I have that one and a couple of others in the series. They're fairly old models (early 1980's) so a bit simplified, but with a bit of work and extra detailing build up well from ones I've seen finished. I've got a stack of 1/25th scale paper models of military trucks and cars. Take a bit more work, but probably most of them will never be done in 25th plastic especially at 12 to 20 dollar range.

2012-12-17 Paper Model Store order.JPG

2015-05-17 military card models.JPG

Cool. I have that one and a couple of others in the series. They're fairly old models (early 1980's) so a bit simplified, but with a bit of work and extra detailing build up well from ones I've seen finished. I've got a stack of 1/25th scale paper models of military trucks and cars. Take a bit more work, but probably most of them will never be done in 25th plastic especially at 12 to 20 dollar range.

Thanks for putting up the shot of the Modelik M35. That's one I'm after, and had forgotten the name of the maker. From what I've seen of that kit, it can provide excellent patterns to make a very nice styrene scratch-build.

At a flea market, scored a Trumpeter 1/48 NIB kit of the DeHaviland Hornet, a really badass looking post-WWII airplane (google it if you don't know what it is). Got if for under $20, a real bargain!

Very odd, but despite the fact that I just love the Mosquito, the Hornet leaves me cold.

Very odd, but despite the fact that I just love the Mosquito, the Hornet leaves me cold.

You have to get used to the idea of the engines protruding farther forward than the fuselage. Once you accept that idea, it's a thing of beauty! B) (Still not as pretty as a -3 Tigercat, though.)

Edited by Snake45

You have to get used to the idea of the engines protruding farther forward than the fuselage. Once you accept that idea, it's a thing of beauty! B) (Still not as pretty as a -3 Tigercat, though.)

I have a forum acquaintance (different forum), that is an absolute Tigercat fanatic. He'll be reviewing the new 1:32 Tigercat for us, hopefully before the end of the year.

Steampunkery!  Got one of these coming in the mail:  the Micro-Mir 1/350 scale British K-15 submarine.  No, your eyes aren't fooling you - those are 2 funnels sticking up.  The K class submarines were STEAM-POWERED. 

As you might expect, that wasn't a very good idea.  To their crews, they became known as the "Kalamity," "Killer" or "Kursed" class. One minor problem: with the sub surfaced, heavy weather could pour seawater right into the funnels and extinguish the boiler fires.  For submerging, the 2 funnels folded down into the hull, using a complex hydraulic system.  It usually worked OK but took some time, a luxury surfaced submarines don't often have.  The K-15 was a later build, with the bulging "swan bow" to try and fix some of the problems.  Micro-Mir also makes the earlier K-class, with a flatter bow.

Micro-Mir is a small Ukrainian company that makes all kind of weird and interesting ship and aircraft kits.  They do a CSS Hunley, Bushnell Revolutionary War "Turtle," and several German mini-subs, all in 1/35 scale.  So "military scale" figures and accessories will work with them.  The owner of Micro-Mir often posts his plans, test shots etc. on modeling forums for feedback before going into production.  The kits seem to build up pretty easily and look good, according to on-line reviews. 

The only U.S. source I've found for Micro-Mir is Freetime Hobbies (and eBay, but those are usually foreign vendors).

k15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up one of the Lindberg releases of the Laird Turner-Meteor to go with the Gee Bee R-1 from them I picked up last year. I know that the Gee Bee says it's 1/32nd scale but it checks out closer to 1/25-1/26th scale, just hope that the Laird is the same thing. I've always been a fan of the '30s racers, especially the Gee Bee's I've got every model of the Gee Bee that was ever released, multiples of the Williams Brothers kits, and have ALL the single engine 1/32 nd scale racers that they have made. Now if I can just get inspired and start building them.

Picked up one of the Lindberg releases of the Laird Turner-Meteor to go with the Gee Bee R-1 from them I picked up last year. I know that the Gee Bee says it's 1/32nd scale but it checks out closer to 1/25-1/26th scale, just hope that the Laird is the same thing...

The Meteor had a 22 foot wingspan in reality, so if it's in about the same scale as the Lindberg GeeBee, the kit wingspan will be around 10 1/8".

I'll be very interested to know, as I've been looking at getting one as well.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Meteor had a 22 foot wingspan in reality, so if it's in about the same scale as the Lindberg GeeBee, the kit wingspan will be around 10 1/8".

I'll be very interested to know, as I've been looking at getting one also.

I'll try to drag it back out tomorrow and give it a quick check. I'll let you know what it measures out to, thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up one of the Lindberg releases of the Laird Turner-Meteor to go with the Gee Bee R-1 from them I picked up last year. I know that the Gee Bee says it's 1/32nd scale but it checks out closer to 1/25-1/26th scale, just hope that the Laird is the same thing. I've always been a fan of the '30s racers, especially the Gee Bee's I've got every model of the Gee Bee that was ever released, multiples of the Williams Brothers kits, and have ALL the single engine 1/32 nd scale racers that they have made. Now if I can just get inspired and start building them.

Image result for lindberg meteor 1/32

Never heard anything back on this, so I did a little digging. An online reviewer (who incorrectly calls the landing gear "tricycle" when it's an obvious "taildragger"...so get your salt grains handy) lists the finished wingspan of the model as about 10.5"    http://www.rightonreplicas.com/blog/?p=5273

As the REAL ORIGINAL airplane had a wingspan of about 22 feet, multiply that by 12 (for inches...264), and divide by 25 to see if the model is close to 1/25 scale. We get 10.56", which is pretty much dead on...assuming the model represents the EARLY version. The FINAL version had a span of 25 feet, which would be 12" in 1/25 scale.

So...how do we know whether the model is the early or late airplane, and what the approximate scale is? Hmmmmm. The same reviewer lists the model's length as 9.5". The REAL airplane was about 23.4 feet in length. That would be about 11 1/4 inches in 1/25. So, going by the overall length of the model as posted by the reviewer, clearly the model is SMALLER than 1/25. In 1/32, the length should be about 8 3/4 inches. so clearly the model is LARGER than 1/32 scale. Still with me?

So...the kit is somewhere between 1/32 scale and 1/25 scale. The fuselage comes in at about 1/29 scale. Lying morons. Kinda sorta too small to look right with the about 1/26 scale GeeBee from Lindberg (also incorrectly labeled 1/32), and too small to look right with 1/25 scale car models...unless you trick the relative sizes in your photography. Numbers must be a whole hell of a lot harder than I seem to think they OUGHT to be.

Related image

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I

Never heard anything back on this, so I did a little digging. An online reviewer (who incorrectly calls the landing gear "tricycle" when it's an obvious "taildragger"...so get your salt grains handy) lists the finished wingspan of the model as about 10.5"    http://www.rightonreplicas.com/blog/?p=5273

As the REAL ORIGINAL airplane had a wingspan of about 22 feet, multiply that by 12 (for inches...264), and divide by 25 to see if the model is close to 1/25 scale. We get 10.56", which is pretty much dead on...assuming the model represents the EARLY version. The FINAL version had a span of 25 feet, which would be 12" in 1/25 scale.

So...how do we know whether the model is the early or late airplane, and what the approximate scale is? Hmmmmm. The same reviewer lists the model's length as 9.5". The REAL airplane was about 23.4 feet in length. That would be about 11 1/4 inches in 1/25. So, going by the overall length of the model as posted by the reviewer, clearly the model is SMALLER than 1/25. In 1/32, the length should be about 8 3/4 inches. so clearly the model is LARGER than 1/32 scale. Still with me?

So...the kit is somewhere between 1/32 scale and 1/25 scale. The fuselage comes in at about 1/29 scale. Lying morons. Kinda sorta too small to look right with the about 1/26 scale GeeBee from Lindberg (also incorrectly labeled 1/32), and too small to look right with 1/25 scale car models...unless you trick the relative sizes in your photography. Numbers must be a whole hell of a lot harder than I seem to think they OUGHT to be.

Related image

Thank you for doing the hard  work. I haven't been able to get to my planes, still unable to negotiate climbing over stuff without danger of falling. Stupid surgeries anyway!

And on top of that, I hate doing math, it makes my head hurt ??. Well I guess it's close enough for the people that will see it, to most of them if it has a propeller, and wheels you can see when it's flying they wouldn't know if it was right or not. In fact most wouldn't even know it was a REAL airplane.

I've been moving towards getting back into model trains, and I've found that locomotives these days can be very expensive, and a lot more sophisticated than 50 or so years back. Well duh. ;) That said, I've also found that there are real deals to be had if you shop carefully...even for state-of-the-art DCC-equipped units.

Another thing I've found is that a lot of "broken" equipment and rolling stock can be had very cheaply, as one of the SOPs of the train crowd seems to be to take things apart to "fix" them, lose or scramble most of the pieces, die, and then have the bits auctioned off for pennies by the surviving relatives.

I've acquired quite a few vintage classic locomotives recently, cheap, and most with easily-fixed problems. I now have WAY more cool old locos than I ever imagined I could reasonably afford, and it's looking like my first layout will model either a railroad museum, or a servicing / repair / rebuild facility.

In the interest of getting some of the worst of the junkers running again, I've been buying motors, gears, trucks etc. as they come up, but only if they're cheap.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

While internal hardware probably isn't too exciting to most folks here, I LOVE fixing things that were considered junk. 

Other interesting train acquisitions of late included things like these vintage "craftsman" kits...

s-l1600.jpg

... a few new-in-the-box vintage switchers that I snagged for well under market value...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

...as well as one of my all-time favorite road engines.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy