Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

2 hours ago, The Junkman said:

I was told that I violated some nebulous policy by posting this in the wrong place.  Hopefully the gods are now appeased.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/north-american-p51-d-mustang-1-48.html

Very nice and worth the price.

I've heard that's a nice kit, from some people whose opinion I value. Will have to get one. 

Lessee, I've got 1/48 P-51Ds from Hawk, Monogram, Revell, Bandai, Nichimo, Tamiya, ICM, Hasegawa and I'd swear at least one or two more. Guess I can make room on the shelf for an Airfix. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've heard that's a nice kit, from some people whose opinion I value. Will have to get one. 

Lessee, I've got 1/48 P-51Ds from Hawk, Monogram, Revell, Bandai, Nichimo, Tamiya, ICM, Hasegawa and I'd swear at least one or two more. Guess I can make room on the shelf for an Airfix. 

Beats me.  Revell, Monogram, ICM, Tamiya.  I have scored 3 Classic Airframes P-51H kits but haven't gotten the gumption to try them yet.  What I AM looking forward to is the new Revell 1/32 kit.  Street price is supposed to be about what I paid for the Airfix.

3 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Beats me.  Revell, Monogram, ICM, Tamiya.  I have scored 3 Classic Airframes P-51H kits but haven't gotten the gumption to try them yet.  What I AM looking forward to is the new Revell 1/32 kit.  Street price is supposed to be about what I paid for the Airfix.

I remembered three more--Otaki (also have it in Airfix and AMT boxes, maybe an ARII one too), Fujimi (which is actually 1/50), and Idea, which is a VERY poor Korean copy of the Fujimi. 

I just got a second CA P-51H last year, which gives me courage to try to build one of them. I've got the HPM P-51H all built, painted, and decalled, only needs final detailing and assembly to be finished. And it's been that way for at least 4 years. I hate when that happens. 

I also have a built Aurora P-51H that I"m gonna do as a gear-up "desk model." Should be an interesting project. 

I've actually BUILT (1/48 P-51Ds) one Hawk, one Revell, one Bandai, one Otaki, and three Monograms. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even know I needed this until I ran across it by accident on eBay, looking for something else entirely. The Buy It Now price was so reasonable (with free shipping, no less!)  I almost sprained my finger hitting the button. 

Don't think you'll ever find a simpler model airplane. Four pieces--top, bottom, canopy glass, and arresting hook, plus two or three pieces for the display stand. This was originally a manufacturer's promotional model from the 1950s. Micro Scale discovered the molds back in the '70s and produced a run of several of different types of them. They were relatively expensive back then, and some of them are REALLY expensive these days, but I got this one for a really good price. 

I plan to build it and paint it Glossy Sea Blue and display it proudly. If it goes well, it might inspire me to build the other two of these I have in the stash--Douglas A2D Skyshark, and Convair XF-92. 

F4DMS03.jpg.95406a7a499138a147cafe523b7216f0.jpg

F4DMS05.jpg.3123a9c45f5d4b473fe86e2a99a60244.jpg

Yes, I know Tamiya kits this airplane today. I have one, and will build it sooner or later. And display it right next to this one. 

I found a slew of Just Plug LED lights (both stick-on and nano) at Hobby Lobby on clearance.  My hopes are that these can be used in several projects that I have planned - science fiction, cars - you name it.  I couldn't resist the the price on the lights, and I used a coupon to help out the with the power supply and hub.  I haven't tried them out yet or found out much else about them, but they look promising for some very cool displaying in scale modeling.

More 1950's nostalgia, updated with lots of parts and photo-etch in 1/35 scale!  I've been waiting YEARS for this one. 

The MIM-23 HAWK missile ("Homing All The Way Killer") started development in 1952 at Raytheon and went operational with the U.S. Army in 1960.  The HAWK has since been used by countries all over the world, including Israel and most of its enemies.  When I worked in Saudi Arabia long ago, I often saw HAWKs and their Tracked Carriers. I also saw HAWKs in Taiwan when I went there for business.  An old friend served with a Marine Corps HAWK unit in Vietnam, saying "We didn't have very much to do."  The Marines used the HAWK until 2002, when it was finally replaced by the Stinger missile.

If you're a geezer (like me), at some point in your kidhood you probably built a HAWK missile kit.  Renwal did a 1/32 HAWK launcher and radar trailer, reissued not long ago by Revell.  Adams did the launcher/radar trailer in 1/40 scale, adding the nifty little Tracked Carrier for the missiles, and released all 3 in one box as the HAWK Missile Battery.  When Adams went out of business, its HAWK kits were re-issued by Snap and Life-Like. 

Now AFV Club gives us a state-of-the-art HAWK and its launcher, with over 200 parts including neat details like movable wing trailing-edges.  It has an option for building the MIM-23A or B versions.  4 different versions are included: US Army during the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis; US Marine Corps in the First Gulf War; Israeli Defense Forces; and Republic of China (Taiwan, where AFV Club is located, so they didn't have to go very far to find a real one).

afv_hawk.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit-2

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Another eBay find that came in the mail today. A proper passenger station for my N-scale trains. 

IMG_2695.JPG

Cool find as I was in a very large train store/hobby shop yesterday lookin' for a station for my grandson's Lionel set. No station, but I did end up buyin' the switch, track, uncoupler, and bumper to create another siding (spur) and a caboose with lights and smoke. Good thing that I had gift cards to help me pay for that stuff.

• 1 month later...

Bought a Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog tank at Hobby Lobby. Full Metal Retail was $17.99 and I got 40% off THAT. I can't remember the last time I saw ANY Tamiya model of ANY kind that didn't have a price tag that started with AT LEAST the number 4. (Yeah, I realize this is probably a reissue of a '70s era kit, nothing state-of-the-art for today's armor. GOOD!) B)

36 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Bought a Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog tank at Hobby Lobby. Full Metal Retail was $17.99 and I got 40% off THAT. I can't remember the last time I saw ANY Tamiya model of ANY kind that didn't have a price tag that started with AT LEAST the number 4. (Yeah, I realize this is probably a reissue of a '70s era kit, nothing state-of-the-art for today's armor. GOOD!) B)

I just started that kit today picked mine up on eBay for like $12 from horizon models! Really nice tank to build!

vince

49 minutes ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

I just started that kit today picked mine up on eBay for like $12 from horizon models! Really nice tank to build!

vince

Glad to hear it. I would have bought it last week, but couldn't remember if I'd already built one. What I'd built was the Italeri M24 Chaffee, another light tank. And did do the M41 in ROCO HO scale. (These are fun!)

M4102.jpg.7643ec7389c1888aa590cb5795954cff.jpg

M4103.jpg.7e0f798a73697b46dcbfe0b9f7e5477a.jpg

The Tamiya M-41 is a real oldie from the '70s. Like most Tamiya kits of that era, it was easy to build and looks like an M-41 when finished.  It does have the usual Clunk Factor of the times, since it was originally meant to be motorized.  (So we could attack Godzilla!)

That was the only 1/35 scale M-41 kit available until the 1990s (Renwal did one in 1/32, reissued by Revell).  Then the Taiwanese companies AFV Club and Skybow both did a Walker Bulldog.  The Skybow was the slightly better kit, according to the Experten.  If I'm remembering the story right: eventually AFV Club bought Skybow and, to confuse everybody completely, released the Skybow kit in their own AFV Club box. 

The sky's really the limit for markings on these, since the M-41 was used all over the world.  It often appeared as a fake "German" tank in WWII movies. It was used throughout the Vietnam War by the South Vietnamese army.  One of the more interesting uses was at the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion.  Those M-41s were pulled directly from U.S. stock.  They had their U.S. Army serial numbers quickly painted out, and were decorated with colorful slogans like "Cuba Libre."  Here's a picture of one from the Playa Giron museum in Cuba:

M41.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

One of the more interesting uses was at the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion.  Those M-41s were pulled directly from U.S. stock.  They had their U.S. Army serial numbers quickly painted out, and were decorated with colorful slogans like "Cuba Libre."  Here's a picture of one from the Playa Giron museum in Cuba:

M41.jpg

Very interesting! One of my future modeling projects will be a USN A4D Skyhawk with all the markings hastily painted out with ship gray. To the best of my knowledge, no photos exist of these airplanes. At least none have surfaced. BTW, I just got a new book on the Bay of Pigs called Playa Giron. Excellent text and many great photos. 

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Very interesting! One of my future modeling projects will be a USN A4D Skyhawk with all the markings hastily painted out with ship gray. To the best of my knowledge, no photos exist of these airplanes. At least none have surfaced. BTW, I just got a new book on the Bay of Pigs called Playa Giron. Excellent text and many great photos. 

Ha! Great minds, or something.  If that's the softcover "Playa Giron" by Santiago Rivas, I also got it recently.  The pic of the M-41 I posted is on Page 12 of the color art section.  Two future builds I'd like to do on that subject are the Hobbycraft 1/48 Sea Fury and an A-26 Invader.  The A-26 has always been one of my favorite aircraft.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Ha! Great minds, or something.  If that's the softcover "Playa Giron" by Santiago Rivas, I also got it recently.  The pic of the M-41 I posted is on Page 12 of the color art section.  Two future builds I'd like to do on that subject are the Hobbycraft 1/48 Sea Fury and an A-26 Invader.  The A-26 has always been one of my favorite aircraft.

Airfix has a new Sea Fury out that's much better than the Hobbycraft, which I've built two of. I'm gonna do a Cuban Sea Fury someday and got that book mainly for pictures of them. The B-26 is also one of my favorite airplanes (my Dad flew them in Korea) but the BOP ones don't really spin my windmill (either side, although they looked similar). I've got the Monogram kit about half built, which I'm doing as a USAF Farm Gate airplane in VNAF markings circa 1962-3. So far I haven't figured out how to fix the nose, which is wrongly shaped. But someday I'll figger it out and git er done.