Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

I really like that Grim Reaper, and have to go find one now!

Along with a few other things in the mail today, I got a Sea Monster.  The Russian PTS-M (PTS-10) Medium Amphibious Vehicle.  I've wanted a model of this vehicle for years, since I saw the real thing in Egypt.  It's made by Miniman Factory in 1/35 scale but is still BIG.  Resin and photo-etch, with metal tracks custom-made by Friulmodel just for this kit.  Unlike most Russian vehicles, the PTS-M didn't recycle tank tracks from a T-55 or T-72.  It had its own unique treads.

The original price of the kit was in Nosebleed Territory. It recently came down some, and I got this one at a further 40% off. Of course, since I bought it, any day now Trumpeter or MENG will come out with a plastic kit at an even lower price...

pts.jpg

On 12/29/2017 at 10:28 PM, Snake45 said:

I've heard that's a nice kit, from some people whose opinion I value. Will have to get one. 

Lessee, I've got 1/48 P-51Ds from Hawk, Monogram, Revell, Bandai, Nichimo, Tamiya, ICM, Hasegawa and I'd swear at least one or two more. Guess I can make room on the shelf for an Airfix. 

Speaking of Mustangs, I received this as a gift at Christmas.

01 02 18 001.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a reference to this kit (which I didn't know existed) on another thread, and just had to have one.   Image result for 1/24 de Havilland Beaver

1/24 de Havilland Beaver. Originally made as a promo display model for Canadian Mist, apparently, and quite simple, but well proportioned, with a ton of potential.

Image result for 1/24 de Havilland Beaver

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Cool score, Ace. I might have to get one of these. I fell in love with big radial high-wing floatplanes as a kid watching Clutch Cargo. Clutch's normal ride was a Bellanca Airbus/Aircruiser, but in a few episodes he had a Noorduyn Norseman. Over the years I've collected a 1/48 Lockheed Vega on floats, 1/48 Beaver, 1/72 Beaver on floats, and 1/72 Norseman with floats (and wheels), but still have to build any of them. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

One more that I recently added to my seemingly ever-hungry stash.

105.jpg.98401d7d3d322ade866db9ca709acb81.jpg

Cool! I built the G Wild Weasel when it first came out in the early '80s. Have two or three Ds in the stash but have never built one. I want to do one in early Vietnam overall silver paint, loaded up with M117s.

Meanwhile, I bought the old Lindberg 1/64 B-17 at Hobby Lobby. I've wanted to build this kit since I was a kid and it was the only "big" B-17 available, but I've never owned one till now. Maybe I'll build it and the old 1/64 Revell B-25 at the same time. I'm pretty sure I have a couple more oddball 1/64-1/65 airplanes in the stash, too.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Cool! I built the G Wild Weasel when it first came out in the early '80s. Have two or three Ds in the stash but have never built one. I want to do one in early Vietnam overall silver paint, loaded up with M117s.

Meanwhile, I bought the old Lindberg 1/64 B-17 at Hobby Lobby. I've wanted to build this kit since I was a kid and it was the only "big" B-17 available, but I've never owned one till now. Maybe I'll build it and the old 1/64 Revell B-25 at the same time. I'm pretty sure I have a couple more oddball 1/64-1/65 airplanes in the stash, too.

I had both the D & G models at one time too (Trumpeter boxings), but sold them both before I'd ever really had a chance to look at them well. While I do like the overall silver birds, I still prefer the SEA scheme, so that's what I'll do mine as. I'm currently writing a rather comprehensive review of the D kit for another site, and so far I'd have to say that overall, it's a wonderful foundation to build upon, and should look quite impressive when finished.

As to the older kits, I built the Revell B-17, B-24 and B-25 when I was a kid, and loved them all, but there are obviously better kits of them out there now; the Hong Kong models B-25's, B-17G, & E/F, and soon a Trumpeter B-24, all in 1:32 scale.

34 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I had both the D & G models at one time too (Trumpeter boxings), but sold them both before I'd ever really had a chance to look at them well. While I do like the overall silver birds, I still prefer the SEA scheme, so that's what I'll do mine as. I'm currently writing a rather comprehensive review of the D kit for another site, and so far I'd have to say that overall, it's a wonderful foundation to build upon, and should look quite impressive when finished.

As to the older kits, I built the Revell B-17, B-24 and B-25 when I was a kid, and loved them all, but there are obviously better kits of them out there now; the Hong Kong models B-25's, B-17G, & E/F, and soon a Trumpeter B-24, all in 1:32 scale.

I too love the SEA camo scheme but it's such a PITA to do; I just don't have the patience, so I tend to gravitate toward pre-1966 VN war builds. My friend Roger Jackson did a hella buildup of the Monogram kit a few years ago. There's been some debate about the shape of the Monogram nose (personally, I don't see it) and Roger addressed that with some effort:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/jackson105.htm

I scored a Revell 1/196 scale USS Constitution at the Goodwill store yesterday! $2.00!

Box is a little beat up but it is 100% complete!

I built this kit the year before I got married and my grandma threw it away after I moved out!

So I get to build it again!

You're lucky.The Goodwill store down the block from me doesn't accept toys, model kits, etc. It only sells these "book" things, dinnerware, furniture  and clothing with pre-stained armpits.

I got these in the mail yesterday:

An original 2001 release of the Polar Lights C-57D Starcruiser in glorious 1/72 scale

Related image

and an Academy (ex Italeri) 1/48 U-2S

Image result for academy u-2s

image.jpeg

Kevin, I got this C-57D (PL5098) for only 78 bucks on eBay. I also have the newer PL812 with crew figures and ID Monster. I was lucky to snag that one for only $49.99 when Entertainment Earth  had it on sale some years back. 

On 4/7/2018 at 6:04 PM, SfanGoch said:

Kevin, I got this C-57D (PL5098) for only 78 bucks on eBay. I also have the newer PL812 with crew figures and ID Monster. I was lucky to snag that one for only $49.99 when Entertainment Earth  had it on sale some years back. 

I get lucky sometimes too. A couple of years ago, some guy was blowing out this 1:350 Enterprise kit for $20 each, so my friend bought three and gave me one.

Enterprise cr.jpg

Today I packed up most of my stash and my extensive paint collection. Tomorrow will be most of my tools, the rest of the stash and all the spares. I will finish two current armor builds, then stop. 

Things have changed dramatically in my life leaving no time for building. Hopefully it will resume sometime in the future.

G

Snagged a partially disassembled N&W J class 4-8-4 streamlined locomotive in HO scale. I usually buy model trains in roughish shape, as the SOP in a large part of that community is to take things apart that only require very simple repairs or adjustments, be unable to accomplish same, and sell them on cheap.

This model is the same design as N&W #611, running again now after her second restoration. I rode an excursion train she pulled back in the late '80s.

Norfolk and Western J Class No. 611, circa 1992.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy