Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's a fairly decent kit that dates back to the late '70s and goes together without any real problems that I recall. You can do it in olive drab and gray, or in overall natural metal with silver dope control surfaces, or in the Navy tri-color scheme, or even in late-war Navy overall Glossy Sea Blue. You can pretty much forget about getting enough weight in the nose to get the tail up. Just use a prop rod of some sort under the rear fuselage. 

NO weight in the nose and no exposed landing gear either as this model will be hangin' from the ceiling.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:45 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

s-l1600.jpg

Bill is this a hard to find item? I could see this being combined with an Indy car kit for something pretty wild.

2 hours ago, Psychographic said:

Bill is this a hard to find item? I could see this being combined with an Indy car kit for something pretty wild.

Unbuilt in the box is pretty rare, but there are some factory-assembled and painted shells for cheap; they should strip easily with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowser-Varney-HO-Areotrain-Locomotive-Shell-NOS/273083392521?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Unbuilt in the box is pretty rare, but there are some factory-assembled and painted shells for cheap; they should strip easily with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowser-Varney-HO-Areotrain-Locomotive-Shell-NOS/273083392521?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank you! I just ordered one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This arrived today, and is a kit that I've wanted for a very long time, but never seemed to get around to purchasing. Through a deal with a fellow forumite (different forum), I've now finally got one. The kit also included some nice Eduard stuff, so I'm already ahead of the curve there.

P-38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 7:23 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is another one I never even knew existed, found out about it on a thread here. I've started collecting interesting background pieces in 1/24-1/25, and truck loads.

s-l1600.jpg

Don't remind me.

I had acquired that one twice on 2 separate occasions. Each time I lost interest in it and sold it off - both times.

I wish I had one now. But I haven't even seen one in decades.

• 1 month later...

Just arrived: a Kinetic P-47D bubbletop in 1/24 scale. The word "spectacular" doesn't do this thing justice. And though there are complainers on the web saying it's a difficult build, it looks to me like it will make a show-stopping model with some effort. All I need to complete my 1/24 warbird (WW II) collection now is a Focke-wulf Fw190D (already have the radial-engined Fw 190A).

Image result for Kinetic P47

Still amassing cheapish vintage HO-scale train stuff as it comes up as well.

Athearn  SP PA1 needing minor mechanical repair:   image.jpeg.8da76522ffdfc3134f45ea032934aeb9.jpeg

Athearn Vista-Dome coach in B&O livery, NOS, NIB:  image.jpeg.932fe07846bccfada12d123bfb62ed75.jpeg

Athearn NOS, NIB SP tapered-end observation car:  Image result for ATHEARN SOUTHERN PACIFIC TAPERED END

A stack of RH and LH Micro Engineering code-83 #6 turnouts: image.jpeg.ccb897db961ffc102f3abda6bafd68a2.jpeg

A Mehano 250 ton crane, needing minor repair: image.jpeg.6e139b236b2cd8502fe85b9404d7ee00.jpeg

Several bulk packs of various Kadee couplers and pockets for upgrading the older rolling stock: Image result for KADEE {#11} 20 PAIR Ultra Pack"

And a well underpriced lot of HO locomotives and cars, including a powered RDC that's perfectly functional, just needed drive belts:

s-l1600.jpg

On 9/19/2018 at 5:58 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just arrived: a Kinetic P-47D bubbletop in 1/24 scale. The word "spectacular" doesn't do this thing justice. And though there are complainers on the web saying it's a difficult build, it looks to me like it will make a show-stopping model with some effort. All I need to complete my 1/24 warbird (WW II) collection now is a Focke-wulf Fw190D (already have the radial-engined Fw 190A).

Image result for Kinetic P47

I have the razorback version of the Jug, and the 1:24 Trumpeter Fw 190D-9, is most certainly on my wants list. I'm currently building a 1:24 Bf 109G-14/AS.