Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thanks Snake. 

I have a vague recollection of seeing one in a flea market about October. But it might have been the landplane, might have been something else entirely...there was a booth that had a much of model airplanes, Monograms and such, prices were in the $20-$30 range on most things as I recall. Next time I'm over that way I'll stop in there and check. What's the highest you'd pay for one? 

Too bad you don't want one of the Monogram Piper Tri-Pacers. I have a couple of those (complete in bags, no box) and I'd be willing to swap one off reasonably.

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have a vague recollection of seeing one in a flea market about October. But it might have been the landplane, might have been something else entirely...there was a booth that had a much of model airplanes, Monograms and such, prices were in the $20-$30 range on most things as I recall. Next time I'm over that way I'll stop in there and check. What's the highest you'd pay for one? 

Too bad you don't want one of the Monogram Piper Tri-Pacers. I have a couple of those (complete in bags, no box) and I'd be willing to swap one off reasonably.

How much am I willing to pay for one? Somewhere around $40.00? Less if possible. I sure appreciate your willingness to look into this. Sorry to say, if it's the version regular land landing gear, I'd not be interested in that one. 

And sorry. I have no need at this time for a Tri-Pacer. Just a Cessna 180 on floats. 

On 12/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great kit, nice idea for a build. I've got a couple underway, one as a gunship and one as a dustoff unit...and using a cast of the Lycoming turbine to power a fantasy LSR vehicle too.

Have you seen the clear version of that kit?

I've seen pics of the clear version, not in person. I have some plans for the Lycoming turbine myself.

At a contest once, somebody built that 1/24 scale Huey helicopter beat-up and weathered, with broken rotor blades.  And put it on a 1/24 scale flatbed truck.  It looked great.

With that in mind, I bought this Hughes 500-D cheap at a show once.  It's a very simple kit, from the Japanese IDEA company, but it is 1/24 scale.  It would also fit in a "police vehicle" category, since many agencies across the country used these.  Academy did a California Highway Patrol version of the 500-D in 1/48 scale.

Idea-500D.jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, cobraman said:

Hey Bill. How large do you imagine your layout being ?

It looks like I'll have a strip about 20'X5' initially. Because there's a decent sized free-standing shop, I figure to use the garage attached to the house as a sculpture studio and still have room for a train layout along one wall.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It looks like I'll have a strip about 20'X5' initially. Because there's a decent sized free-standing shop, I figure to use the garage attached to the house as a sculpture studio and still have room for a train layout along one wall.

Sounds like you are preparing to have some fun !

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Whenever one of these comes up cheap, I'm indulging my passion for the spacecraft proposals from the 1950s and '60s, when we thought we'd really be doing something up there by now. 

A 1/96 scale Glencoe Lunar Lander was the most recent one to arrive. Bodged up box, but complete and intact inside.

GLENCOE -1/96-#5003- LUNAR LANDER VON BRAUN EARLY 50'S DESIGN NEW UNOPENED

I love these kits. About 2 years ago the above kit was reissued by Lindberg in the typical Round 2 original style retro box. Naturally, I quickly bought and built one. 

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

Shortly there after they announced they were bringing back the other four kits in the series. I was very excited to hear this. But, something went wrong and they cancelled the project. Lack of sales on the Moon Ship? I dont know? 

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

Im still waiting and hoping that Round 2 changes their mind, and brings the above back. 

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I love these kits. About 2 years ago the above kit was reissued by Lindberg in the typical Round 2 original style retro box. Naturally, I quickly bought and built one...

...Shortly there after they announced they were bringing back the other four kits in the series. I was very excited to hear this. But, something went wrong and they cancelled the project. Lack of sales on the Moon Ship? I dont know? 

...Im still waiting and hoping that Round 2 changes their mind, and brings the above back. 

Pretty cool Scott.

They're all still available in older packaging. Not very expensive if you shop carefully.

These two came in today.

GLENCOE-6914-Disney-Mars-Liner-Spacecraft-Model-Kit-1-144-FREE-US-SHIPPING           Image result for Glencoe Strombecker Convair Manned Observation Satellite

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I love these kits. About 2 years ago the above kit was reissued by Lindberg in the typical Round 2 original style retro box. Naturally, I quickly bought and built one. 

Shortly there after they announced they were bringing back the other four kits in the series. I was very excited to hear this. But, something went wrong and they cancelled the project. Lack of sales on the Moon Ship? I dont know? 

IMG_3158.JPG

Im still waiting and hoping that Round 2 changes their mind, and brings the above back. 

I'm pretty sure I had that Lindberg UFO as a kid. I remember the ET pilot kinda creeped me out. 

I also had a Monogram space station. They reissued it about 20 years ago and I grabbed another one, but haven't built it yet. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pretty cool Scott.

They're all still available in older packaging. Not very expensive if you shop carefully.

These two came in today.

GLENCOE-6914-Disney-Mars-Liner-Spacecraft-Model-Kit-1-144-FREE-US-SHIPPING           

I too have the good old Moon/Mars Liner Rocket kit above. With aftermarket decals to make back into the original Disney Moon Rocket version. This the kit was originally put out by Strombecker back in the 1950's. And still is one of the all time classic designs IMO. 

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3168.GIF

Edited by unclescott58

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I too have the good old Moon/Mars Liner Rocket kit above. With aftermarket decals to make back into the original Disney Moon Rocket version. This the kit was originally put out by Strombecker back in the 1950's. And still is one of the all time classic designs IMO. 

Agreed about the classic design.

I see that the "FASTWAY" decals are cleverly designed with a typeface that would allow using only the TWA for a close simulation of the original markings

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Agreed about the classic design.

I see that the "FASTWAY" decals are cleverly designed with a typeface that would allow using only the TWA for a close simulation of the original markings

Yea, I thought the decals Glencoe included with their version were slick that way. The trouble is they were thin and ripped when I tired to use them. Luckily I found a verdor on eBay selling replicas of the original Strombecker decals. I built mine model just a year or two ago. And I'm disappointed to see that those decals have already started to yellow. Hopefully they will stop yellowing beyond this. 

On 12/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, unclescott58 said:

How much am I willing to pay for one? Somewhere around $40.00? Less if possible. I sure appreciate your willingness to look into this. Sorry to say, if it's the version regular land landing gear, I'd not be interested in that one. 

And sorry. I have no need at this time for a Tri-Pacer. Just a Cessna 180 on floats. 

I just posted a want ad on HyperScale for your 180 floatplane. We'll see if anything shakes out. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well, THAT didn't take long. Price seems good, too! I'll let you contact him directly: 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=409167&t=501048&p=2624174#p2624174

Thank you Snake. I signed up to join in, so I can respond to his offer. The price sounds good. By the way, I appreciate you referring to me there to him as a friend of yours. The feeling is like wise. Even though we've never meet directly. I do enjoy my interactions with you on this forum, and consider you too a friend.